Best Practice for first Lipo charge

Reaction score
Hi everyone. A few years ago a tech guy at a big box store suggested that whenever I buy a new computer with a lithium battery to charge the battery fully and then leave it plugged in for the first 24 hours to "burn in" the charge in order to get maximum charge retention and maximum life out of the battery. Urban myth or some truth to this? Would love to hear others thoughts as many will be charging their P4 batteries for the first time.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Another goodie...

Ah, the lipo break-in. There is no need to break in DJI batteries.

Ah, the lipo break-in. There is no need to break in DJI batteries.

I never have (had the patience to) but always wondered. Using Healthydrones to keep tabs on all my DJI batteries, no duds so far without breaking them in.

I never did that... and never had a problem... seems overkill to me!

I would not blindly follow advice from some tech guy at a big box store - so good question and good thread. ;)

As msinger said, DJI doesn't mention or recommend this anywhere. Just go fly the thing and enjoy it !! If you find you have an issue with a battery, DJI will replace it while under warranty. My train of thought is, I would rather find an issue with it now and have it replaced rather than baby my battery for the first ___ flights only to have the issue come up after my warranty on the battery has ended.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Cale262
I would not blindly follow advice from some tech guy at a big box store - so good question and good thread. ;)
He often gives advice that applies to flying models in general. So, you need to sometimes use your best judgement when watching his videos :)

Reactions: KyleMaxxUAV
Thanks -all. At what point is there an issue with the batteries using healthy drones? Eg. - I was showing red highlights in 1 cell fairly consistently in January -(cold weather) but no forced landing like I had with another battery that flew in November before the cold weather firmware upgrade. Any suggestions as to what to do aside from making warranty claim (the batts are more than 6 months old).

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel