Best editing software for Mac ?

Reaction score
Was wondering which software you recommend for editing videos and photos taken with the Phantom? Would you say photoshop is the best ?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

As a long time photographer/videographer hobbiest I get asked this question often. There is no "best" software product.

It all depends on your photography/videography and editing skills. The software is only a tool to allow you to achieve what you had originally conceived prior to capturing a photo or video segment. Some software allows for certain adjustments where others do not.

If you just fly, capture some random video and photos and wish to use some really nice auto-adjustments to enhance color/sharpness or add some effects, then Photoshop is more than capable.

Reactions: cassalatico
As a long time photographer/videographer hobbiest I get asked this question often. There is no "best" software product.

It all depends on your photography/videography and editing skills. The software is only a tool to allow you to achieve what you had originally conceived prior to capturing a photo or video segment. Some software allows for certain adjustments where others do not.

If you just fly, capture some random video and photos and wish to use some really nice auto-adjustments to enhance color/sharpness or add some effects, then Photoshop is more than capable.
Thank Captain that makes a lot of sense [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

[QUOTE="CaptainDrone798, post: 735725, member: 52979"
If you just fly, capture some random video and photos and wish to use some really nice auto-adjustments to enhance color/sharpness or add some effects, then Photoshop is more than capable.[/QUOTE]

I agree with what you wrote and that PS is more than capable for editing photos.

But video? I use PS regularly and have never seen any video editing capability. Not claiming it doesn't exist as I never thought to look.

If you are already locked into Adobe's monthly rental scheme, then Photoshop (still) and Premier (video) make sense since you are already paying for them. If not, the cost is, IMO, absurdly high for a hobbyist.

Adobe Lightroom has a more palatable entry price, and I believe you can still "buy" a copy (as opposed to rent). That should have plenty of tools for most photo enthusiasts. Its library capabilities to keep track of photo collections is also better than Photoshop. Although with the full Adobe package you also have "Bridge" which may meet your librarian needs.

If you are on a Mac, "Photos" is free and might meet your needs. "Free" is always a great place to start. If you don't like it you can explore paid options. Some complain about "Photos" but it is a fairly capable program.

For video editing, there is iMovie (if you are on a Mac). That's free, so a great place to start before you invest money. Windows systems may have similar free software.

DaVinci Resolve is another great program you can get for free (Windows and Mac).

Reactions: matti
I use final cut pro. I love it. Along with the LUT Utility plug in and some LUTs from a few different sources.

[QUOTE="CaptainDrone798, post: 735725, member: 52979"

I agree with what you wrote and that PS is more than capable for editing photos.

But video? I use PS regularly and have never seen any video editing capability. Not claiming it doesn't exist as I never thought to look.

If you are already locked into Adobe's monthly rental scheme, then Photoshop (still) and Premier (video) make sense since you are already paying for them. If not, the cost is, IMO, absurdly high for a hobbyist.

Adobe Lightroom has a more palatable entry price, and I believe you can still "buy" a copy (as opposed to rent). That should have plenty of tools for most photo enthusiasts. Its library capabilities to keep track of photo collections is also better than Photoshop. Although with the full Adobe package you also have "Bridge" which may meet your librarian needs.

If you are on a Mac, "Photos" is free and might meet your needs. "Free" is always a great place to start. If you don't like it you can explore paid options. Some complain about "Photos" but it is a fairly capable program.

For video editing, there is iMovie (if you are on a Mac). That's free, so a great place to start before you invest money. Windows systems may have similar free software.

DaVinci Resolve is another great program you can get for free (Windows and Mac).[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Hi Joe21
You seem very knowledgable on this question and I am not a techie.
Maybe you can help me.
My problem is that Imovie , yes I am on a Mac,does not allow to edit my videos in AVCHD in order to keep the same HD quality.
I do not know if it is at the stage of editing that I loose the HD quality or at the time of burning a DVD with I movie.
This is why I would like to know how I should proceed in order not to loose the HD quality of my video taken with my camera or my Phantom 4 when I put them on a bluray disc.

I am now buying a BluRay burner to put my videos on a BluRay disk.
Do I need a special burning software or editing software not to loose the HD quality?
Where do I loose it at the editing stage or the burning stage?
Another question what should I use to edit my phantom videos on my Mac?
Thanks for any help.

I use pixelmator for photos.

About to pull the trigger on final cut pro and motion 5. iMovie is great to start for videos but looks like final cut has some great features

I have iMovie on my iMAC and 4K looks choppy intermittently. I haven't edited or created a 4K movie yet with it but previewing looks choppy at times. It's an old iMAC and I have created only non 4K movies with no issues. I will try and render a 4K vid to see how it looks. I have read that GoPro Studio (free) is good. But haven't found a place to download for MAC. Anyone have a link?

I have iMovie on my iMAC and 4K looks choppy intermittently.

That's just the slowness of your computer. If you played it on a high-speed machine I'll bet your product runs smoothly.

My old Mac would only run 480 video. Anything higher would produce the chop. The new box runs 2.7K just fine and I don't have a P3P so I don't know if it would run 4k. But I think 4K is overkill anyway.

SB

That's just the slowness of your computer. If you played it on a high-speed machine I'll bet your product runs smoothly.
SB
I thought of that after my post. You are most likely correct.

But I think 4K is overkill anyway.
SB
Personally, I love it. It doesn't compare to 1080p especially watching it on an 80" screen. As for me, it's worth the extra $200 compared to P3A especially if you plan to make movies for clients. It's an extra selling point that could be worth many times over.

I use Final Cut Pro to edit 4K video. I usually output to HD. I use an ancient Mac mini from 2009 ... it works smoothly if I let Final Cut optimize the video to ProRes 422. On the other hand, my son's MacBook Pro can edit P3P 4K natively and is MUCH faster. But he prefers DaVinci Resolve anyway. I believe Premiere is also good.

We use Lightroom to edit .dng raw files and output to .jpg.

In addition I use GraphicConverter to edit metadata (add/edit EXIF dates, rename images/videos based on EXIF in YYYY-MMDD-mm-ss.xxx format, add/edit location data in images (AFAIK location data in videos isn't yet standardized enough) etc).

I archive edited stuff (and selected originals) in plain folders on HDs and DVDs and use iPhoto just for viewing (haven't yet switched to Photos). I use MPEG Streamclip to do straight cuts to raw P3P videos that I archive (I'm still learning video color management etc and preserving original footage makes re-editing with better skills possible).

I use final cut pro on my MBP, output is fine.
iMovie comes free on a mac and is also good but less features.

I have iMovie on my iMAC and 4K looks choppy intermittently. I haven't edited or created a 4K movie yet with it but previewing looks choppy at times. It's an old iMAC and I have created only non 4K movies with no issues. I will try and render a 4K vid to see how it looks. I have read that GoPro Studio (free) is good. But haven't found a place to download for MAC. Anyone have a link?

https://shop.gopro.com/softwareandapp

Hi Joe21
Maybe you can help me.
My problem is that Imovie , yes I am on a Mac,does not allow to edit my videos in AVCHD in order to keep the same HD quality.
I do not know if it is at the stage of editing that I loose the HD quality or at the time of burning a DVD with I movie.
This is why I would like to know how I should proceed in order not to loose the HD quality of my video taken with my camera or my Phantom 4 when I put them on a bluray disc.

Do I need a special burning software or editing software not to loose the HD quality?
Thanks for any help.

You can download a 30 day trial of Final Cut Pro X from the Mac app store so you can try it to see if it works for you before you drop $299.

I use final cut pro on my MBP, output is fine.
iMovie comes free on a mac and is also good but less features.

What bothers me is iMovie doesn't allow export to 2.7k

But the added features of FCP do make it appealing over iMovie. Do you also have Motion 5?

Hi Joe21
Maybe you can help me.
This is why I would like to know how I should proceed in order not to loose the HD quality of my video taken with my camera or my Phantom 4 when I put them on a blurry disc.

I know a few things, but wouldn't call myself an expert.

AVCHD is a highly compressed video format. As I recall, video editors do not directly process AVCHD footage. It must be converted to another format for editing.

There are several place where you may be losing quality:
- import into iMovie: you may be converting to a lower quality setting
- export to DVD: again, you may be converting to a lower quality setting

Note that what you see on the screen in iMovie may not reflect actual final quality. Editing programs will often show a low-res version (for lack of a better term) on screen. Always judge by the final output.

When you import your footage into the computer, you are uncompressing the AVCHD file and essentially re-compressing into a different format. This will usually make the saved video files larger than they were in the camera. When you burn to a DVD, you are compressing into another format that the DVD player can read. You would not want to import the DVD files for editing (because they would end up being re-compressed on output and suffer quality issues).

Personally, I save my "raw" video files as backups, in addition to the "final" output.

Thanks for any help.

Blu-ray and Mac require some special tools. Blu-ray support is not built into MacOS.

I have a blu-ray burner, although I primarily use it for data backup. A standard blu-ray reader/burner should work just fine with your Mac. I suggest purchasing through a vendor that knows Macs and can confirm compatibility with the model you are buying.

You can burn DATA files to a blu-ray directly from the Mac. To burn MOVIES that will play in a blu-ray player, you will need extra software. There may be others, but I am familiar with "Toast." There are different versions (standard, pro, etc.). Make sure to get the version that has blu-ray support.

Something is telling me that iMovie or Final Cut Pro currently has some option for outputting to blu-ray. Not 100% sure. If so, it would output a file. I believe you would still need something like Toast to create a blu-ray disk that can be read in a player.

There is native OS support for DVDs on a Mac. You cannot, however, play a blu-ray disc on a Mac. There may be third party software to play those movies (using a proper blu-ray drive).

You do not need anything special to read the files from your recording device. You can also use iMovie to edit the footage and maintain full HD quality. You can even output HD files from iMovie to watch on your computer or upload to places like YouTube.

You will only need additional software and hardware if you want to author a blu-ray disc.

The Apple discussions forum is a great place to get some detailed answers. Some real video experts hang around there. Hope the above provides some help.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl