BEST budget GPS tracker?

so far no go on this rfv16 in the USA on usmobile network in Atlanta GA USA.
unit is powered on, sim activated but wont recv. signal. The lights still flash slowly.

Just make sure you have an active data plan on the unit. Best to test it out on a mobile phone before.

Do the frequencies match on the usmobile network with that on the specs in the manual of your RF-v16 unit?

Yep its all activated and should be solid, the only problem is 'yes' there is active 2g service.....it is soo far spread out that its only being utilized in metro areas. They told me today that they dont even include updates to the 2g network on their coverage maps anymore....so who knows where it works and where it doesnt? Sim was tested in two different phones with same results......functional but no service on 2g bands.

It appears that the Rf-v16 (and tk-102) might be dead in the usa outside of downtown areas. I'm shipping mine back if nosuccess after tomorrows tests.

The cheapest 2g plan with talk/text/data is $9 a month now. (Plus fees). It's Just not worth $72 a year for 3 year old hardware and a limited range and the threat of shutdow. Sucks but this is what the end of 2g means. Was hoping for better results.

Ahh man that does suck... Feel for ya.. Hope you find something that works. The RF-V16 is definitely a great piece of technology. If not invest in something like the Trackimo or even ping which is about to be released pretty soon. I've heard some good things about them.

Worst case you go for the $9/pm plan which isn't too bad for a few months. But all upto you. All the best! Thanks for your help :)

Just curious. Do you have a reachfar (R) symbol on the left hand top?

This is what mine looks like and it doesn't have that (R) trademark.

Attachments

• 17238982_10154188349420443_43384400_n.jpg
    17238982_10154188349420443_43384400_n.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 376
Reactions: jakobe75
Just curious. Do you have a reachfar (R) symbol on the left hand top?

This is what mine looks like and it doesn't have that (R) trademark.

Yep, its a genuine model. Brand new packed well, and sealed from ReachFar, all accessories, watch straps, chargers, lanyards ect. The knockoffs dont come with these things.

There's is just no cell coverage in 2g here. Or anywhere near here in any useful capacity.

I got it to connect when I went near the highway in town. The device is nearly useless otherwise. If it had a signal it would work fine.

I thought the RF+V16 was 3G compatible. I'm seeing it adverstised everywhere that it is 3G compatible with AT&T and T-Mobile? Am I missing something?

I thought the RF+V16 was 3G compatible. I'm seeing it adverstised everywhere that it is 3G compatible with AT&T and T-Mobile? Am I missing something?

I have not seen it advertised as 3g compatible anywhere, this device was built many years ago for the 2g network. some 3g cards are 2g backwards compatable, but the radio inside is a 2g radio.

I have not seen it advertised as 3g compatible anywhere, this device was built many years ago for the 2g network. some 3g cards are 2g backwards compatable, but the radio inside is a 2g radio.

Here is a description from Amazon. Are you saying it's still 2G but the backward compatibility of a 3G card is what makes it work? This is good info as I was about ready to order one.

• 3G sim card support to use AT&T ,T-Mobile sim cards support

That information is from 2015. Read the customer questions. The seller acknowledges that it is only 2g.

Yes, most if not all 3g cards can operate with 2g, think of it like a legacy mode.

2g is spotty and coverage poorly reported in the usa. I have a fully active 3g/2g similar card in my rf-v16 and it will not connect. On the 2g T-Mobile / US-mobile network.

I am stuck with this device, will buy a trackimo next. They are 2g and hve a 3g version. I do not know how their 2g is still active. But 2g is shutting down for good maybe this year. Every where for the usa.

Reactions: jakeaheli
my rf-v16 stopped working back in December when At&t shut down 2g network in my US area.
I ordered a jm13 watch which is a kids 3g gps tracking watch, even has a small camera on it. Running on the H20 at&t 3g network. It weighs about 38g vs the 28g of the rf-v16. The GPS is spot on.
The app is called SeTracker.

I've been testing my rf-v16 on many occasions and different places - no issues at all here in Australia. I'm hoping 2G will be extended on the Vodafone network past September 2017. Lets see!

Found an easy & temporary way to attach my GPS tracker (RF-V16) while I wait for the holder to arrive from China. I placed it diagonally opposite to the compass so as to avoid any interference. Calibrated and tested - works well :)

Attachments

• 20170403_161105_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    20170403_161105_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    3 MB · Views: 345
  • 20170403_161149_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    20170403_161149_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 318
been using trackimo since their 2g tracker, but since the shut down of 2g systems in my area. i just bought their 3G and still it works perfectly for my drone.

I use a TK102. Cost $14. It is a GSM 2G device, but T-Mobile is keeping 2G until 2020. I bought a "pay as you go" plan for $3/month. I can call the device and it reports its position via test message and google maps link. I get 30 texts/month free.
Another thing that is coo,l is it has a built in mic. You can turn it on and hear what's around the tracker. So if you go where it says you drone is located and you don't see it right off you can turn the mic on and listen on your cell phone. Just give out a holler to hear when you get closer.
Here in iowa, in town, it works well but I haven't gone into the country to test yet.
TK102.jpg
A very cost effective solution... $14+$3/month!

Last edited:
Reactions: FlashBuddy

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl