BEST budget GPS tracker?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've decided that i want to invest in a GPS tracker for my P3S. I've seen a couple of thread floating around but thought i's ask again due to updated models etc.

I'm looking for something as cheap as possible & reliable to be mounted on my P3S. So far I've looked into the RF-V16 and the TK102. I've seen some 3d printed brackets to hold them made for the Phantom series on eBay.

I'm located in Australia if that helps. I'm also aware that the 2G network is going to get cut off sometime later this year here in Australia.

Can anyone point me in the right right direction as to which of the above 2 are good? Or are there any other ones out there that might work as well.

Thanks for any help
Jake

are there any other ones out there that might work as well
Here's a list of the trackers most commonly used with the Phantom today:
I pre-ordered the Ping tracker, but there's no telling how good it'll be since nobody has one yet. If it does everything they claim, I think it's going to be one of the go-to trackers in the future.

Thankyou all for the replies.

I looked into Trackimo but its too expensive. The cheapest i could find on eBay was AUD$129. Don't think i want to spend that much.

Can anyone eBay link me up to a RF-V16 that's 3G capable? We are going to be 2G extinct pretty soon over here.

Regards
Jake

hello i am interested too in understand if a product like this could be applied to a drone without disturbe the drone link to the remote controller. anyone had already experience?

Moto TK102 motore mini GPS / GSM / GPRS personale domestico in tempo reale inseguitore

Thanks!

I don't think these GPS trackers disturb the link to the remote controller. They get their signal from satellites & the mobile networks or towers.
There will be some amount of disturbance but i don't think its enough to cause any issues.

I believe the RF-V16 is a better choice, but anyone please correct me if im wrong.

Jake

Reactions: Mysticman319
Trackimo saved my butt on a flyaway once...found the bird mile away in a wooded field...never would have found without it.

I ended up picking up the Marco Polo system for my new bird. I won't always be flying or crashing where a GPS or cellular signal will be adequate. I don't mind driving or hiking around to pick up the signal to find my bird.

I bought the Trackimo over a year ago so it is the older 2G network model. I don't see the point of investing in a 2G tracker in Australia anymore. Now I am waiting for a cheap 3G tracker to come on the market.

I've ordered a RF-V16. Cheaper than Trackimo in Australia anyway. Does operate on 2G/ 3G network as I've read. Can't wait to test it out.

I bought the Trackimo over a year ago so it is the older 2G network model. I don't see the point of investing in a 2G tracker in Australia anymore. Now I am waiting for a cheap 3G tracker to come on the market.

Me too but from what I understand one company (can't remember which) is keeping 2G going.
It seems that the Trackimo frequencies overlap with some 3G frequencies.
If I can find the article again I'll post the link.
In the meantime if it stops working I'll get a 3G one

Last edited:
Can anyone confirm if the Rf-v16 still works in the USA? Does it actually work on 3g? because the specs seem to indicate it is 2g?

Can anyone confirm if the Rf-v16 still works in the USA? Does it actually work on 3g? because the specs seem to indicate it is 2g?

Trackimo is still functioning, they use 2g. They dont have a sim card like rfv16. But they still use a cellular network. I am guessing its built in non ssappable sim. Because they dont own the towers. So they are getting their 2g from somewhere. I have a rfv16 coming within the next few days. And want to test but have no idea where to get a sim for it. If i cant figure it out by next week its going back. Was Going to try h20 wireless as folks had good luck with them, but they run on the ATT network. Verizon claims to be keeping their 2g service until 2021. So maybe the Trackimo is cdma?

RF-V16 seller says....... "These units operate on the 2G network. Optus switch off their 2g network in April 2017, Vodafone September 2017. Until then the trackers will function as normal."
AT&T will ended their GSM/GPRS Band (2G) service at the end of 2016. This includes H2O and Puretalk.

WILL end 2016?

I wonder if the original Kindle will cease to receive syncs any time soon. I still have one.

Reactions: umanbean

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan