Beginner help needed:

Reaction score
1) Small as possible. Nano might be best. This is not an absolute, concrete requirement, but preferred.

2) FPV---first person view capability. This is an absolute requirement.

3) ABILITY TO LIVE STREAM AND RECORD WHILE IN FLIGHT. This is a very strong requirement. Ties in with #2

4) "FOLLOW ME" FEATURE is a very good and a strong requirement though maybe not absolute.

5) INDOOR CAPABILITY. Absolute requirement although i think most drones can fly indoors.

6) ABILITY TO FLY "PRE-PROGRAMMED" FLIGHT PATHS. Pretty much an Absolute requirement.

7) LONG STANDBY BATTERY LIFE. Pretty much an absolute requirement. The drone may have to "rest" for up to a day or two before flying again. Now, if it is possible for it to be parked in a docking bay type recharger OR even the ability to be plugged in and then fly away with the wire falling out, then this would work as i can position it near an outlet. If that is possible, then we don't necessarily need the long standby battery life requirement. Although it is still helpful.

8) HIGH QUALITY AND RELIABILITY:
Does not have to be Mercedes quality, but at least Volkswagen/chevrolet quality. So i'm not too strict on price. i'm thinking $600-1000 max.

I'd recommend the Phantom 3's or 4's and the Litichi app. I use the DJI app but read on the forums that Litichi is better with follow me.

These drones aren't tiny but will do what you're looking for.

Sounds like a Mavic or Spark to me, (get both with the Remote Control). I have both, if you have the extra $$$ go for the Mavic. They are both small and both way more intelligent than the Phantom 3 line. The range is much better on the Mavic, camera and gimbal are also better on the Mavic. The Spark is much smaller. Both drones have a follow me mode built right into the DJI app. For pre-programmed flights I would recommend Litchi or DJI GS Pro. Both can fly indoors and have front and bottom sensors. Both drones will be fine powered off for up to 10 days before the intelligent flight batteries start their discharge process. Both can live stream and record video. Both drones are DJI the most reliable drone hardware on the market IMHO.

INDOOR CAPABILITY. Absolute requirement although i think most drones can fly indoors.
If you're referring to flying inside a house, it's not a great idea if flying a DJI drone. Many people crash them when attempting to fly indoors.

As for your other requirements, any of the Phantom 3 models or the Mavic meets those requirements. You'll easily spend more than $1,000 after buying additional accessories (more so if you buy the Mavic).

Reactions: cyzerman
Thanks again everyone.

Now,
1) You're saying that if i was to "park" either of the drones, then the batteries should last on standby for about 10 days?
i guess this is analogous to my iphone--- if for some reason i don't charge it overnite, yet leave it on, i notice it may last another day or longer---provided i don't use it much.

2) As far as the indoor thing---this is a large warehouse.

Thanks again everyone.

Now,
1) You're saying that if i was to "park" either of the drones, then the batteries should last on standby for about 10 days?
i guess this is analogous to my iphone--- if for some reason i don't charge it overnite, yet leave it on, i notice it may last another day or longer---provided i don't use it much.

2) As far as the indoor thing---this is a large warehouse.

I've flown my SPARK in my house, and a Mavic would do just fine as well. Make sure to get controllers for them, though. In a large warehouse, a Phantom 4/4Pro would do just fine. The primary difference in the Phantom series and Mavic/Spark is really the camera and portability. So, unless you need 4K, Spark or Mavic will do just fine.

Yes, batteries start to discharge after about 10 days. This isn't a bad thing...they are intelligent and will automatically do this to insure a longer life. You just have to remember that they need to be recharged is why they brought it up.

You're saying that if i was to "park" either of the drones, then the batteries should last on standby for about 10 days?
By default, the batteries will start to auto discharge down to the storage level after 10 days have passed (and you haven't pressed the battery button). When the batteries are fully charged, it'll take an additional 2-3 days for them to discharge. It would take 3+ months for the batteries to completely discharge (which you shouldn't allow). See more details about maintaining the batteries in storage over long periods of time here.

Reactions: station five
Leaning towards the Spark at this point. However, can you tell me why the Phantom 3 appears to be cheaper?

However, can you tell me why the Phantom 3 appears to be cheaper?
It's old technology. They go down in price as DJI releases new drone models.

Thanks everyone: i got the spark last Thurs and have since taken it out on a few flights.

i have a few questions though:

1) i understand the concepts of RTH at Current Altitude, and Return-to-Home Altitude (i think?).

However, i was wondering if i enable the RTH at Current Altitude and there is something in the way, i.e., a fence, then what happens?

Also, if i set the Return-to-Home Altitude at less than 30 meters (98.4 feet) and there is something in the way, then what happens? i think 30 meters is generally safe, although i bit scary since i'm new, outdoors. i'm doing warehouse inspection, among other things, which is why i think i want to lower the Return-to-Home default setting of 30m because i don't think the ceiling is that high.

Can you tell me about Obstacle Avoidance?

Thanks everyone: i got the spark last Thurs and have since taken it out on a few flights.

i have a few questions though:

1) i understand the concepts of RTH at Current Altitude, and Return-to-Home Altitude (i think?).

However, i was wondering if i enable the RTH at Current Altitude and there is something in the way, i.e., a fence, then what happens?

Also, if i set the Return-to-Home Altitude at less than 30 meters (98.4 feet) and there is something in the way, then what happens? i think 30 meters is generally safe, although i bit scary since i'm new, outdoors. i'm doing warehouse inspection, among other things, which is why i think i want to lower the Return-to-Home default setting of 30m because i don't think the ceiling is that high.

Can you tell me about Obstacle Avoidance?

The Spark has limited obstacle avoidance in the front of it, and below it. As long as the obstacle is in front of it while RTH, it should either stop, or go around it. Honestly, in a warehouse, I wouldn't use RTH....just hand fly it to landing (assuming you purchased the remote). The little thing will even land right in your hand if you put it underneath it. You can probably get more advise and some tips at SparkPilots - DJI Spark Drone Forum.

DO NOT USE RTH INSIDE A BUILDING!

If you will be flying inside a building, you should turn off RTH in favor of hover upon signal loss. The last thing you want, if for some odd reason you lose connection with the bird, is for it to elevate straight into the ceiling as it prepares to travel to the home point.

If you will be flying inside a building, you should turn off RTH in favor of hover upon signal loss.
This is a great idea, but it's not an option in DJI GO yet when flying the Spark. DJI is apparently supposed to be adding it soon.

This is a great idea, but it's not an option in DJI GO yet when flying the Spark. DJI is apparently supposed to be adding it soon.

Aww, that would make it hard for the OP to follow my advice then, lol. I was not aware that was not available.
Thank you for the correction.

Well I hope you can set a very minimal ceiling then, otherwise It doesn't make it a very safe indoor situation.

Good catch!

T...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing