Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Battery Storage

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Matchlock, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Matchlock

Talk about a confusing subject. Long term, short term, in between term.

On the matter of battery voltage while not using them for a week or so I see in many video's Tom's Tech Time for example that he states that a Phantom 3 Professional Flight battery should be stored at between 40% and 50% of its total capacity.

My question is, can you go by one solid green as an accurate indicator of a battery at 25% charged, and 2 solid greens as an indicator of 50% charged and so on?

If not, can a more reliable/accurate method of determining the battery voltage level be established by using a volt meter? If so, where does one put the leads? I see two gold terminals as in the photo I've provided but don't know whether this is the correct place to put them or not.

For example, on a Flight Battery with two solid green lights I get 0.15v

Can anyone help me with this and perhaps tell me how to get an accurate reading of the voltage on my flight batteries?

Thank you kindly.

Bud
    ps
    Photos attached.

Attached Files:

2. msinger

Approved Vendor

Here's what I do:
    • I set the appropriate days to discharge time in DJI GO for each battery (2 days in my case since I mostly only fly on weekends)
    • I don't constantly press the battery button to check the current charge level (since that resets the time to discharge counter)
    • I check the charge level on my batteries once per month by pressing the battery button
    • When the 2nd battery light is blinking, I charge the battery until the 3rd light starts blinking (that way it doesn't have to discharge down from 100% again)
    Pressing the button on the battery shows its current charge level. Here's what the lights mean:

BatteryLevel.png

Note: The red box is where you want your batteries to be while in storage.

3. 4wd

4wd

The best way is simply don't put them away nearly empty.
    If they are at least 50% the self discharge will take them down to about 50% and they seem to sit like that for several weeks, though it would be wise to check they haven't discharged to one LED periodically.
    It might also be best to charge and allow to discharge even if not using every month or so as sort of exercise.

4. Matchlock

What a terrific solution. Thank you so much for sharing that, I appreciate it very much. That sure saves a lot of messing around and figuring this and that and there's really nothing to keep track of.

Thanks again for a great solution, and that chart/red box thing is just the greatest.

Bud