Battery temperature

Reaction score
I had a warning appear in the go app today that the battery was below 15 degrees and to warm it up to over 25 degrees for a "safe flight".

Never seen that before, it remained on for the entire charge. Outside was aprx 7-10 degrees c.

Should I have not flown?

Mine did the exact same thing, plus I had a rc firmware update message. I am on the latest firmware with the craft, battery, tx, etc. After battery message I let it run for a few moments and then did a 7-8 minute flight. Our temp was about 20f. No issues on the flight. Strange not sure, maybe temp related?

I had a warning appear in the go app today that the battery was below 15 degrees and to warm it up to over 25 degrees for a "safe flight".

Never seen that before, it remained on for the entire charge. Outside was aprx 7-10 degrees c.

Should I have not flown?

I also experienced this a few days ago.... And (perhaps rashly) ignored it, as the temp. outdoors was around 12 degrees C and batteries are supposed to good above freezing point. I flew for around 15 mins. and noticed no other issues. Flown since without the error msg appearing.

I believe this message is part of FW 1.6 update. This is a warning and a good message to tell you that battery can't deliver full current at low temperatures and there are chances of battery sudden stop during flights with excessive loads.

I got the same message with mine today - it was only 2-3deg C today outside - running fmw1.6 even though the battery felt warmish to the hands when I landed and removed it to check....PS you can get a lipo warmer for the inspire lipos and some special insulation stickers !

There have been at least a couple threads on cold battery behavior over the past month. In summary, I think what we've learned is we don't want to fly on a cold battery in the winter. A cold battery would be one at about 20C or colder. 20C is 68F which is room temperature. So I think a good strategy would be to start off with a pre-warmed battery - one that's above room temperature - say around 30-35 C or so, depending on how cold the air temperature is outside.

I had a warning about a cold battery too but my motors would not start up unless I warmed up the battery first.

I have been flying in temps down to -5C in the past few weeks. Using FW1.6 (actually everything updated, batteries too). My flights are simple as I am new to this P3P. Quite satisfied; excited for nicer weather.

Paul

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I usually let the phantom hover in the air and just monitor the battery levels and temp. Temp soon goes up then I carry on. Also gives a good indication any deviations I do notice the cold the battery the more the voltages seem to change.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor