Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Battery temperature

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Koopah, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Koopah

I had a warning appear in the go app today that the battery was below 15 degrees and to warm it up to over 25 degrees for a "safe flight".

Never seen that before, it remained on for the entire charge. Outside was aprx 7-10 degrees c.

Should I have not flown?

2. Brencade

Mine did the exact same thing, plus I had a rc firmware update message. I am on the latest firmware with the craft, battery, tx, etc. After battery message I let it run for a few moments and then did a 7-8 minute flight. Our temp was about 20f. No issues on the flight. Strange not sure, maybe temp related?

3. DAVEJF

I also experienced this a few days ago.... And (perhaps rashly) ignored it, as the temp. outdoors was around 12 degrees C and batteries are supposed to good above freezing point. I flew for around 15 mins. and noticed no other issues. Flown since without the error msg appearing.

4. alokbhargava

I believe this message is part of FW 1.6 update. This is a warning and a good message to tell you that battery can't deliver full current at low temperatures and there are chances of battery sudden stop during flights with excessive loads.

5. DAVEJF

That seems plausible. Many thanks

6. SimonH78

I got the same message with mine today - it was only 2-3deg C today outside - running fmw1.6 even though the battery felt warmish to the hands when I landed and removed it to check....PS you can get a lipo warmer for the inspire lipos and some special insulation stickers !

7. Mark The Droner

There have been at least a couple threads on cold battery behavior over the past month. In summary, I think what we've learned is we don't want to fly on a cold battery in the winter. A cold battery would be one at about 20C or colder. 20C is 68F which is room temperature. So I think a good strategy would be to start off with a pre-warmed battery - one that's above room temperature - say around 30-35 C or so, depending on how cold the air temperature is outside.

8. almustafa

I had a warning about a cold battery too but my motors would not start up unless I warmed up the battery first.

9. Gracy

happened to me also, I'll start a new thread

10. grottoli

I have been flying in temps down to -5C in the past few weeks. Using FW1.6 (actually everything updated, batteries too). My flights are simple as I am new to this P3P. Quite satisfied; excited for nicer weather.

Paul

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

11. AirSpace2016

I usually let the phantom hover in the air and just monitor the battery levels and temp. Temp soon goes up then I carry on. Also gives a good indication any deviations I do notice the cold the battery the more the voltages seem to change.