Battery not charging

Yes! Both of them worked after cool down ....
For sure, the freezer was not the best idea I have, kkkkkk... I put it on a plastic bag, and put on the freezer for some minutes...
Thx again!
I meant DO NOT put them in the freezer at all - put them in the refrigerator for 15 mins!

Thanks Quamera. That's interesting; can you point me to the link re the iron and cobalt battery construction?
Nevertheless, even though DJI have not given a statement to confirm that deep cycling is no longer required, you're happy to concur that DJI just removing instructions on cycling their batteries, which could have been an error, is good enough for you to abandon this process? What about the 00's of '000s of owners that are still undertaking this process. If this was so important, they could just send a message via the app informing all, couldn't they? Anyway, forgive my scepticism. Oh, I forgot - what about the physical memory effect as noted by Toyota?
The different types of Lithium batteries are described here Types of Lithium-ion Batteries – Battery University

Early DJI battery cells tended to go out of balance (which reduced capacity, similar to a memory effect) and the easiest way to rebalance was to run the battery down and fully recharge. It shortened the total life of the battery but at least maximum possible flight times were obtained for each use. Now with improved software and hardware the "fuel gauge" on the battery is more accurate and only needs rebalancing rarely. I don't know why DJI didn't explain this to us.

That physical memory effect is very slight and only applies to LiFePO4 batteries as commonly used in EVs. It is exacerbated by the regenerative braking in EVs that give the battery multiple small cycles during every use. The digital memory effect is also a problem in EV's because of the flat Voltage/Discharge curve in LiFePO4 batteries means the "fuel gauge" can easily be confused about the actual state of charge of the battery but it is important to realize that the digital memory effect is only an error in measurement, not a real reduction in battery capacity.

The different types of Lithium batteries are described here Types of Lithium-ion Batteries – Battery University

Early DJI battery cells tended to go out of balance (which reduced capacity, similar to a memory effect) and the easiest way to rebalance was to run the battery down and fully recharge. It shortened the total life of the battery but at least maximum possible flight times were obtained for each use. Now with improved software and hardware the "fuel gauge" on the battery is more accurate and only needs rebalancing rarely. I don't know why DJI didn't explain this to us.

That physical memory effect is very slight and only applies to LiFePO4 batteries as commonly used in EVs. It is exacerbated by the regenerative braking in EVs that give the battery multiple small cycles during every use. The digital memory effect is also a problem in EV's because of the flat Voltage/Discharge curve in LiFePO4 batteries means the "fuel gauge" can easily be confused about the actual state of charge of the battery but it is important to realize that the digital memory effect is only an error in measurement, not a real reduction in battery capacity.
Thanks for the info, that was really informative.
However.... all I want DJI to do is to make a statement informing us, their customers, why we no longer need to "cycle" our very, very expensive batteries, that's all.

Just got back from a drone less holiday. Left the 3 batteries cycling in the P4CH Charging Hub on Storage mode for 4 weeks.
The one Phantom 4 battery is still working fine. The 2 Phantom 4 Pro batteries are totally unresponsive. Tried to charge them individually (without the hub) overnight with no success. Tried to put them in the drone with no success. Nor sure what to do now. Any suggestions?

At 180USD a pop and having completed 50 flights with one and 20 flights with the other, that would make a charge cost of more than 5USD per flight (without counting the cost of electricity)...

Hello!
Today I did a maintenance cycle at my 2 batteries...
I fly it until it reaches 30%, landed and let it discharge to 10%...
I let it cool down, and put it on the charger...
But the 2 batteries are not charging...
When I put it on the charger, it just blink the first led, and don't charge!
I loose it?
I read somewhere to put it to charge in a IMAX b6 (or similar), in nimh mode could restore it...
Any ideas?

The 'maintenance' cycling of LiPo's is a myth and wasted time and risks damaging cells of a LiPo unless controlled properly - which DJI setup prevents.

Use of a programmable LiPo charger can 'kickstart' a LiPo but is best left to those who have knowledge of what is needed ? Basically using either NiCd or NiMh mode - it is only banging in voltage similar to a DJI charger anyway.
The better way with a LiPo charger is to use the LiPo mode with setting : LiPo Charge, 4S, 5A ....

If the LiPo charger has LiPo High Voltage mode (LiHV) - then use that ... LiHV Charge, 4S, 5A

(LiPo standard charges to 4.2V ... LiHV charges to 4.35V per cell ... )

Before connecting - battery needs to be switched on ... then plug into LiPo charger.

I use LiHV chargers a lot on my DJI batterys ....

Nigel

However, to be fair and put the OP mind at rest, yes it was in the instructions and yes, everyone was being told to do this upto a few weeks/months ago and they may not have caught-up with the latest information. And yes, lipo batteries can suffer "memory effect" too so I wonder why DJI lipo batteries would be any different?

Please provide evidence of Memory Effect with LiPo's ... because LiPo have no memory effect at all.... if they did - then continual use of storage charge would create unuseable batterys ...
Memory effect is only with NiCd and is related to repeated partial discharge ... even NiMh do not have memory effect to same as NiCd.

Nigel

Guess it all depends on who "conventionality" one is referencing!
Five tips for extending lithium-ion battery life - TechRepublic
Look at point 3...
LiPo Battery Care and Maintenance: Getting the Most from your Battery | Hobby Warehouse RC Cars
5th paragraph...
https://phys.org/news/2013-04-memory-effect-lithium-ion-batteries.html
So whether it's a true memory effect or not, there can be a digital effect and the general consensus on these seem to say that LiPo batteries do indeed need to be cycled properly to maximise the battery life. You pays your money....

It has been shown that 'conditioning' when new can give you a few mAh ... but once a LiPo has been cycled a few times - there is no benefit to deep cycling and no memory effects.
The only item that affects LiPo's during their operating life is : Internal Resistance.

This increases over the life of LiPo use until its high enough to create such voltage drop that the battery no longer performs well. As the Ri increases - the temperature of battery in use will rise ever higher as well .. a good sign of this happening.

As regards many online sources of info ... many of them are not updated and still put out old info. Battery world like computers evolves daily ... and what was excellent info last month is old hat now.

The only item that dos not change with LiPo's .......... treat with respect, do not overdischarge, do not charge at too high a rate, store at storage level, store in cool place well away from sources of heat or flammable materials, do not leave charging LiPo's unattended.

Nigel

Phantom batteries are a little more than simple lipo batteries...
DJI call them intelligent batteries...
What DJI say about it?

Intelligent ? The board fitted to the DJI batterys ..... mmmmmm ...

Lets look at a DJI battery. I have had a number apart and myself and others as a group have tried various actions ...

a) The cells used are LiPo High Voltage versions that top out at 4.35V per cell. The top 10% of charge acts as HV and then the LiPo follows same pattern as a standard 4.2V per cell LiPo ... this is why standard LiPo cell storage advise works 100% for the HV version as well.
b) The cells do have balance and power leads, but both go to the small circuit board fitted at front of pack inside case.
c) The board reduces the connections to outside to two sets ... main +/- and the secondary smaller +/- contacts.
d) The boards main function is as Charge controller. It replaces what a LiPo charger has and means DJI charger is a plain regulated power brick of 17.5V only. The board monitors charge rate and terminates at the 17.4V total voltage state.
e) Secondary action of the board in terms of battery is to have the setting of when auto discharge is initiated. DJI default is 10 days. This is ok if the P3 is used often .. but is not advised as 10 days is too long. Any damage by having full charge then is accumulative. Better to reduce this to 2 or 3 days maximum. The discharge is ';resistive discharge' - this means energy is dissipated as heat and therefore is slow. Discharge continues at steady rate till below 65%, then slows and continues... well past 50%. Eventually battery reaches a low level of storage and enters Hibernation mode. This then basically cuts off discharge and only physical chemistry takes over.
f) The board has a third function of providing battery data for telemetry based on the balance lead connection. This relays to your display the voltage of each cell ... no load when on ground, loaded when flying. The general display is an average of the 4 cells figures.

OK onto the 'myths' of this 'intelligent' board.

1. It is a total voltage monitor at heart and does not actually correctly balance or even out cells.
2. When charging - once it detects 17.4V regardless of cells inbalance - it terminates charge, unlike a LiPo charger that in final stages balances cells.
3. Deep discharge is not fully monitored or controlled and therefore risks damage to one or more cells. The board terminates at a total voltage figure.

It would be very good if DJI would actually give the information we would all like to have - but they do not and myths get repeated and become accepted fact. Its then very difficult to convince some of the errors.
I will not claim to be 100% correct - but all above has been observed and tested to be as accurate as we can determine.

One of my biggest concerns : is the DJI charger in fact. It is same as your Laptop computer supply .. a regulated power brick. Nothing special, nothing fancy. It will deliver 17.5V till you remove power from it. It has no safety cut-out that we could find. This then means that it relies on the Battery and its Board to cut out when full charged. What happens if there's a fault in the battery or board ?
I prefer using a LiPo charger because I have a second safety back-up .... the LiPo charger will cut out immediately it detects a fault ....

Nigel

The digital memory effect you are referring to has very little relevance to DJI LiPo Batteries.
1) It is mainly applicable to Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries, not the Lithium Cobalt Polymer batteries that DJI uses.
2) EVs have multiple very small cycles from regenerative braking which have a cumulative effect, Phantoms usually have a 50% or more cycle which take a very long time to build up any memory if at all.
3) If some loss of capacity (memory) does appear in a Phantom battery it is more likely due to cells not being in balance and can often be rectified by a full cycle when it occurs, not by regularly deep cycling which is only detrimental to battery life.
4) A digital memory is a temporary software problem not a hardware problem.

Thank you ... someone who doesn't follow the myths that have built up about these batterys.

Cheers
Nigel

They are simple LiPo batteries with the addition of a microprocessor to stop the uneducated from blowing them up. I would call that intelligent and thank DJI (and many other manufacturers) for making batteries that have made a very delicate and dangerous product almost bullet proof in the hands of hamfisted operators, many of whom have no idea exactly how dangerous they could be without that intelligence.

100% spot on !!

Trouble is it removes the possibility of knowledgeable users to maximise efficient charging and use of the batterys.

99% of the RC model world works with plain LiPo batterys ... without problem. I have seen DJI batterys - one being my own after its 'swim in the river' become dangerous. Given my limited experience .. I have seen as many DJI batterys fail as normal batterys, leaving out wear and tear.

Nigel

Just got back from a drone less holiday. Left the 3 batteries cycling in the P4CH Charging Hub on Storage mode for 4 weeks.
The one Phantom 4 battery is still working fine. The 2 Phantom 4 Pro batteries are totally unresponsive. Tried to charge them individually (without the hub) overnight with no success. Tried to put them in the drone with no success. Nor sure what to do now. Any suggestions?

At 180USD a pop and having completed 50 flights with one and 20 flights with the other, that would make a charge cost of more than 5USD per flight (without counting the cost of electricity)...

You did what ???? You left LiPO batterys cycling for 4 weeks ????

Have you never seen a LiPo fail into flames ?

Back to cycling - a) its a total waste of time ... and b) if you left packs cycling for 4 weeks - I am not surprised they are useless. Can you imagine the heat and turmoil inside those packs ? The 'boards' being bombarded for 4 weeks trying to regulate charge rate in / out continually ??

I've read and heard some incredible things to do with LiPo charging / use - but that just about beats all hands down !!

Nigel

Please provide evidence of Memory Effect with LiPo's ... because LiPo have no memory effect at all.... if they did - then continual use of storage charge would create unuseable batterys ...
Memory effect is only with NiCd and is related to repeated partial discharge ... even NiMh do not have memory effect to same as NiCd.

Nigel
I did in this thread....

It has been shown that 'conditioning' when new can give you a few mAh ... but once a LiPo has been cycled a few times - there is no benefit to deep cycling and no memory effects.
The only item that affects LiPo's during their operating life is : Internal Resistance.

This increases over the life of LiPo use until its high enough to create such voltage drop that the battery no longer performs well. As the Ri increases - the temperature of battery in use will rise ever higher as well .. a good sign of this happening.

As regards many online sources of info ... many of them are not updated and still put out old info. Battery world like computers evolves daily ... and what was excellent info last month is old hat now.

The only item that dos not change with LiPo's .......... treat with respect, do not overdischarge, do not charge at too high a rate, store at storage level, store in cool place well away from sources of heat or flammable materials, do not leave charging LiPo's unattended.

Nigel
I agree about the evolution of everything, Nigel, but given the batteries we use in our ACs today are not going to evolve any further, that was my interest.
I've since spoken to a UK Lipo manufacturer and they too recommend cycling their batteries and in their view, cycling any Lipo - including DJI - may derive a benefit but world certainly not be detrimental to its performance.

I prefer independent expert advice.

Cyc,ring has been shown to only benefit a new battery and has virtually no effect on a used battery other than using up life. If I was a manufacturer - I would love everyone to cycle as often as possible.
Itbakso depends on what level of cycling you do - the old DJI recc'd deep cycling is a definite no-no and even DJI recognize that now. But cycling from storage to full and back etc. - would not be detrimental but again really only uses up life cycles.
My basis of battery info is from a firmer senior tech from Mallory, who are famous for Duracell etc. I know I said I prefer independent - that's when I cannot get info from him .... a long standing friend.

Nigel

I did in this thread....

Sorry not being difficult - but LiPo are well documented to lose performance due to internal resistance .... not the same as NiCd memory effect. Its funny actually that even NiCd memory effect is argued about !

Nixx are recognized as benefiting from cycling - this breaks up 'chrystaline' formations.

Nigel

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94