Battery not charging

Reaction score
Hello!
Today I did a maintenance cycle at my 2 batteries...
I fly it until it reaches 30%, landed and let it discharge to 10%...
I let it cool down, and put it on the charger...
But the 2 batteries are not charging...
When I put it on the charger, it just blink the first led, and don't charge!
I loose it?
I read somewhere to put it to charge in a IMAX b6 (or similar), in nimh mode could restore it...
Any ideas?

Hmmmm. So how long have you left it to charge? Does the first LED blink if you try to start the battery like normal? Also, there is now some debate whether the calibration or cycling of DJI batteries is actually needed.

I tried left charging for half hour and nothing...
I put it on the drone and it started...
But when I put on the charger, it just start the red light, and keep blinking the first green light...
On both batteries!

I tried left charging for half hour and nothing...
I put it on the drone and it started...
But when I put on the charger, it just start the red light, and keep blinking the first green light...
On both batteries!
When you connect the charger what happens, nothing? No LEDs come on? You have checked that you do have the charger switched on?! If it is switched on, try another power socket you know is working. If that is OK and it has power going to the charger, then press the button on the battery to start the 1st LED flashing and then connect the charger. If that doesn't work, can you place the charger against your ear to see if you can hear the charger humming? If it is humming then I can only suggest you find someone with another charger and check the batteries on theirs?

Reactions: danilocd
The charger is working... I charged my controller to test it... And I charged my batteries yesterday... I'm sure 99% its not the charger...

Well... I think I solve it... It's a little hot today here in Brazil... So i put one of the batteries on a bag and leave it 15 minutes on the freezer... I put it on the charger, and... It start charging! I will try the same on the other!
Thx!

Last edited:
Reactions: Numone
Well... I think I solve it... It's a little hot today here in Brazil... So i put one of the batteries on a bag and leave it 15 minutes on the freezer... I put it on the charger, and... It start charging! I will try the same on the other!
Thx!
Great news, so they were just too hot to be recharged! I would not suggest you use the freezer to cool them danilocd, the refrigerator would be better.

Maintenance cycle? That's not necessary. These are not Nicad batteries.

Maintenance cycle? That's not necessary. These are not Nicad batteries.

However, to be fair and put the OP mind at rest, yes it was in the instructions and yes, everyone was being told to do this upto a few weeks/months ago and they may not have caught-up with the latest information. And yes, lipo batteries can suffer "memory effect" too so I wonder why DJI lipo batteries would be any different?

I must have missed that. Good information.
But, Lipo batteries have never had a memory effect. That is simply not true.

Last edited:
And yes, lipo batteries can suffer "memory effect" too so I wonder why DJI lipo batteries would be any different?

Please link to your source for this.
I seems to conflict with conventional beliefs.

Reactions: HWCM
Thx!

What you were probaly overlooking is which LED was blinking. It was not the first LED that lights up when charging.... it was on the opposite side. If you look at the manual, this means the battery is too hot to charge.

DJI had it in the manual but it's since been removed. Most likely they still have the old manuals online and it can be found there. However, as mentioned, it's since been removed.

Guess it all depends on who "conventionality" one is referencing!
Five tips for extending lithium-ion battery life - TechRepublic
Look at point 3...
LiPo Battery Care and Maintenance: Getting the Most from your Battery | Hobby Warehouse RC Cars
5th paragraph...
https://phys.org/news/2013-04-memory-effect-lithium-ion-batteries.html
So whether it's a true memory effect or not, there can be a digital effect and the general consensus on these seem to say that LiPo batteries do indeed need to be cycled properly to maximise the battery life. You pays your money....

Great news, so they were just too hot to be recharged! I would not suggest you use the freezer to cool them danilocd, the refrigerator would be better.
Yes! Both of them worked after cool down ....
For sure, the freezer was not the best idea I have, kkkkkk... I put it on a plastic bag, and put on the freezer for some minutes...
Thx again!

Look at point 3...
LiPo Battery Care and Maintenance: Getting the Most from your Battery | Hobby Warehouse RC Cars
5th paragraph...
So whether it's a true memory effect or not, there can be a digital effect and the general consensus on these seem to say that LiPo batteries do indeed need to be cycled properly to maximise the battery life. You pays your money....

Phantom batteries are a little more than simple lipo batteries...
DJI call them intelligent batteries...
What DJI say about it?

Look at point 3...
5th paragraph...
The digital memory effect you are referring to has very little relevance to DJI LiPo Batteries.
1) It is mainly applicable to Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries, not the Lithium Cobalt Polymer batteries that DJI uses.
2) EVs have multiple very small cycles from regenerative braking which have a cumulative effect, Phantoms usually have a 50% or more cycle which take a very long time to build up any memory if at all.
3) If some loss of capacity (memory) does appear in a Phantom battery it is more likely due to cells not being in balance and can often be rectified by a full cycle when it occurs, not by regularly deep cycling which is only detrimental to battery life.
4) A digital memory is a temporary software problem not a hardware problem.

Last edited:
What DJI say about it?
They are simple LiPo batteries with the addition of a microprocessor to stop the uneducated from blowing them up. I would call that intelligent and thank DJI (and many other manufacturers) for making batteries that have made a very delicate and dangerous product almost bullet proof in the hands of hamfisted operators, many of whom have no idea exactly how dangerous they could be without that intelligence.

The digital memory effect you are referring to has very little relevance to DJI LiPo Batteries.
1) It is mainly applicable to Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries, not the Lithium Cobalt Polymer batteries that DJI uses.
2) EVs have multiple very small cycles from regenerative braking which have a cumulative effect, Phantoms usually have a 50% or more cycle which take a very long time to build up any memory if at all.
3) If some loss of capacity (memory) does appear in a Phantom battery it is more likely due to cells not being in balance and can often be rectified by a full cycle when it occurs, not by regularly deep cycling which is only detrimental to battery life.
4) A digital memory is a temporary software problem not a hardware problem.

Thanks Quamera. That's interesting; can you point me to the link re the iron and cobalt battery construction?
Nevertheless, even though DJI have not given a statement to confirm that deep cycling is no longer required, you're happy to concur that DJI just removing instructions on cycling their batteries, which could have been an error, is good enough for you to abandon this process? What about the 00's of '000s of owners that are still undertaking this process. If this was so important, they could just send a message via the app informing all, couldn't they? Anyway, forgive my scepticism. Oh, I forgot - what about the physical memory effect as noted by Toyota?

What DJI say about it?
No they're not - the "intelligence" comes from the processors they've added, that's all...
Nothing as yet and I suspect it'll just be nothing, of course...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4