Battery Damaged Cell since Firmware update 3.08

Reaction score
Hi Guy's, thought I would share with you my experience of updating to the latest set of firmwares...
Main Controller - 3.08
P330CB - 1.0.2.10
Battery - 2.6.0.0
Zen - 1.0.0.6

Prior to doing the updates, my last flight about 7days before went ok with no issues (as prevous flights).
Never had any issues with my P2 Vision+ since buying it in June this year.
After completing the main updates I updated the battery firmware on both of my batteries, everything looking good.

Ist flight with latest firmware onboard;

1st battery;
Took off as usual, after about 3mins got a "not enough power to return to home" warning message. Battery still showing over 80%,
only 20m above my head ! Landed, power cycled and took off again. Had a good flight without any further issues.
2nd battery;
Took off as usual, after about 6 - 8min got an audible "the world is ending" sound with a message saying "Bad Cell - further use not
recommended" (or something similar). Dropped height to around 1m and attempted to fly back as it was quite close. Power just
dropped off to nothing and the model landed quickly and turned over. No damage to anything, luckily the ground was very soft and
wet and it was only moving slowly.

Hooked up the P2 to the computer Assistant Software, checked through the figures for battery. All cell voltage readings where
around the same within .004 mV. Not enough to trigger an error I would have thought, nothing else obvious. This particular battery
has been kept in it's box since purchase as I didn't have the time to use it right away. Used it last week for the first time and had no
problems. Only had 3 discharges. My other battery, not much more at 8 discharges.

Have sent an email to DJI and have contacted my dealer who said he will take a look at the faulty battery if I post it back to him. In
the post tomorrow...

Not sure if anything above will help anyone, just thought I would share my experience.

I really wonder if there's a battery calibration issue that's leading to people having all these battery problems.

To be safe, I would think about doing a battery calibration (just like is recommended for a laptop computer with a new battery):
- Charge the battery up full, put it in the Phantom.
- Tie down the Phantom's landing gear to something solid (or put a board over the skids).
- Power the Phantom up, and set it to (attempt to) "hover" (blades on so it doesn't overheat).
- Let the battery run all the way down until it powers itself off.
- Make sure the battery is run down by trying the previous two steps again.
- Charge the battery up again.

By running the battery through a complete charge/discharge cycle, the on-board chip gets calibrated with the battery's actual capacity.
Hopefully, this should reduce the chances of the Phantom seeing a discrepancy between the expected capacity and the voltage
(which results in these early warning problems).

Would suggest people becareful when putting something over the skids to run down the batteries... I was doing it and the motor mounts/arms/phantom was vibrating way to much to be comfortable with... It was like putting it in a paint mixer!!

Instead I held it in the air and had someone else control the RC.

Meta4 said:
Charging and completely running down a couple of times as above made no difference to my 35 cycle battery showing similar symptoms.
This is without doing any battery firmware update? I'm wondering if doing the update messes up with the calibration?
justin00 said:
Would suggest people becareful when putting something over the skids to run down the batteries... I was doing it and the motor mounts/arms/phantom was vibrating way to much to be comfortable with... It was like putting it in a paint mixer!!
Good point. Perhaps tying the skids down with a length of string is better.

Got a reply back from the dealer;

"Dear Sir
My Technician check your Battery already. 1cell damage and swelling.
I recommend change a dead cell. cost about 1000-(add new cell+soldering)"

Battery removed from cardboard box 3 weeks ago and only had 3 discharges...

You reckon this is a recommended repair/fix procedure covered by DJI ?
After all the warnings and disclaimers they issue regarding the use of non-approved batteries I find this quite bazaar.

Told them, not acceptable...waiting answer now.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl