Battery balancer

Reaction score
What kind do you use. Do you balancer every charge. What's the max voltage they can vary and still fix them

I don’t use any external cell balancer for dji batteries. It’s not needed.

I've got one battery that's .1 volt lower. I was hoping a balancer would fix it

You can’t easily use an external balancer simply because you don’t have external access to the balance taps on the cells. At what SOC are you seeing the variation? How old is the pack? Cycles? Latest reported mah?

Cycling the battery charge might fix it.
Battery basically has a self-contained charger. The so called charger is really only a power supply.

2b7f555bea8ea01551126a9a6c1fd4d1.jpg

I think you should. Try to discharge and charge again several times. The discharging should be done with the drone on the ground and to 0%. It takes several hours. If the difference between cells drops under 0.1 V at fuls charge state after several cycles then you can take it in the air.

Can I discharge it in the air till 15%or so then finish it on the ground or does it need a couple real slow discharges to even itself out

I think it is quite dangerous. Try to do two cycles on the ground. The current will be lower and you can monitor the voltages. If you find out that the difference keeps so high you should discard the battery.
I have got the battery that came with the drone and it has 0.1V maximum difference all the time. When it is offen used the difference drops to 0.05V. It is 0.1V after several month when unused. It has about 95 cycles and capacity is 5200mAh from 5350 when I bouht it in the middle of 2016.

Can I discharge it in the air till 15%or so then finish it on the ground or does it need a couple real slow discharges to even itself out

If it were me I would hover it a few inches over some thick grass until I reached around 20% or so and then recharge. Do this a few times and see if it evens out. Running a Lipo down to 0% will destroy it.

If it were me I would hover it a few inches over some thick grass until I reached around 20% or so and then recharge. Do this a few times and see if it evens out. Running a Lipo down to 0% will destroy it.

True, running a LiPo down below ~3v/cell will cause damage or near destruction. However the on-board circuitry won’t allow it to go to zero.

At 9% left it shut down the motors. That's at 3.56v. guess I'll just leave the drone on till it hits 0%. Sure seems like a long time to let them boards be powered on without doing nothing

The reason to discharge is to balance the cells. A standard multicell battery (that has not connection to each cell) has ussually circuit that balances during charging and discharging. The monitor circuit is able to shut down the battery even if the only one cell is near to 0%.
Be patient. The battery is near to dead state. You are trying to be alive.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michello