BATTERIES

Reaction score
Advice on batteries. OEM OR Aftermarket brand. What do you guys say to use and recommend?

OEM

DJI is currently offering Phantom Standard batteries for $104.00.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Not as of a few hours ago when I checked... and just checked again 2 minutes ago... deal is gone...

I would say oem.. But I did get an aftermarket battery from my mom for Xmas ( she didn't realize there was fakes out there) so far I have used it with zero issues.. It lasts just as long as my original p3 battery's, looks slightly different and says "compatible with phantom 3" Instead of "phantom 3 Intelligent flight battery" like the real ones do..

As I said it works just fine, I have heard of ppl saying that the dji go app will know it's not an original battery and will shut the props down during takeoff but mine is working just fine, but it is another reason why I won't update.. Cuz if I did I'm sure it would stop working.

That being said I still for some reason don't feel at ease with it.. Even tho it performs nearly identical, maybe it's just in my head but I don't feel super safe with it, but I couldn't return it as it was a gift.. So I use it, but when I do use it I stay close with it incase something funny starts to happen.. Imo go with an oem battery and save yourself the worries if nothing else..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been flying Rc large scale airplanes for years both gas and electric. When electrics first came out the Lipos were very expensive and we always used name branded batteries from Horizon Hobbies or Tower. Since then we have been using lipos from other sources such as from Hobby KIng. These other generic batteries have worked well and we have never had anymore issues than when we started flying. One thing to remember is that lipos cells are manufactured by one of a few manufactures in China and that you will not see much difference between one manufacturer or the other. More important is the discharge rate of these batteries than the manufacturer.

I also have a bunch of "home-built" quads, and use batteries from Turnigy and ReadyMadeRC, which both brands are great for those. But I would think that what DJI puts into their batteries to make them "smart" would be the difference. I don't mind trusting my built quads with different brand batteries, because if they crash (and with the way I fly, they will...), but I'd have a complete heart attack if anything happened to my P3P, especially if it were due to an aftermarket battery.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge sanchez