Basic Question to the Experienced Audience

Reaction score
Hi, if I may ask a basic question please.

If I am buying a specific zoom camera online that is said to fit the gimbal for the drone, then (taking into account that I am a total novice), then are the camera functions on the drone usually controlled via Wifi? meaning the camera itself states it can be operated via remote via wifi, BUT will that wifi range be far enough to control the camera when fitted to the drone or am I missing something ie. is there some other mechanism that is usually used to control the new camera when fitted to the drone?

This zoom camera does not come with the drone. I want to fit this zoom camera to the drone, but worried about how it will function and how to control it, therefore I asking if it is usually via the wifi (it has wifi function) that cameras are controlled, but if so, then surely the range will be limited?

Thank you very much for all your advice
Regards
J

Hello,

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the PhantomPilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

It would be far easier to buy a quad with a zoom function. The quads use wifi for control so you may interfere with that. The wifi for the camera you are using should give you the distance the controller works. The two together probably is a bad idea.

Enjoy!

Hello,

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the PhantomPilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

It would be far easier to buy a quad with a zoom function. The quads use wifi for control so you may interfere with that. The wifi for the camera you are using should give you the distance the controller works. The two together probably is a bad idea.

Enjoy!

Hi, first I must thank you for your speedy reply and your warm welcome.

Unfortunately I am a novice. When you say "quad", i presume you mean a quadcopter, but it seems not to exist when I try to find a quadcopter that comes standard with a zoom camera with 30 x optical zoom.

I was wondering how or via what mechanism will the new zoom camera be controlled while in the air. I mean I can understand using one's mobile phone wifi connection to take a pic a few feet away, but does wifi travel vast distances to reach the drone in the air?

Thank you for all your advice
Highly appreciated
Regards
J

Hi, first I must thank you for your speedy reply and your warm welcome.

Unfortunately I am a novice. When you say "quad", i presume you mean a quadcopter, but it seems not to exist when I try to find a quadcopter that comes standard with a zoom camera with 30 x optical zoom.

I was wondering how or via what mechanism will the new zoom camera be controlled while in the air. I mean I can understand using one's mobile phone wifi connection to take a pic a few feet away, but does wifi travel vast distances to reach the drone in the air?

Thank you for all your advice
Highly appreciated
Regards
J

A 30x optical zoom is going to challenge most UAVs, both in terms of weight and the ability of the gimbal to stabilize. The only combination that I know that works, having watched it in action, is the DJI Z30 fitted to the Matrice 200 or 210. But that's a $9k camera on a $9k aircraft.

Welcome aboard!!
Inspire1 with Z3. 7x zoom. That's about the starting point of zoom camera / aircraft that I know of.
I have one and am very happy with it.
What aircraft and camera are you speaking of?

Welcome aboard!!
Inspire1 with Z3. 7x zoom. That's about the starting point of zoom camera / aircraft that I know of.

The Z3 is nice, but only 3.5x optical zoom. It sounds like the OP is looking for much more than that.

Welcome aboard!!

Thank you to you all for the warm welcome.

Here is the link of a 30x optical zoom camera gimbal that can fit to the DJI Inspire 1 and Matrice 100.

I was thinking of buying the DJI Inspire 1, and then buy the gimbal and camera. Now I dont have the drone yet, buy I wondered how the camera would be controlled while in flight.

Thank you to everyone

The Z3 is nice, but only 3.5x optical zoom. It sounds like the OP is looking for much more than that.

Here is the link of a 30x optical zoom camera gimbal that can fit to the DJI Inspire 1 and Matrice 100.

I was thinking of buying the DJI Inspire 1, and then buy the gimbal and camera. Now I dont have the drone yet, buy I wondered how the camera would be controlled while in flight.

Thank you to everyone
Welcome aboard!!

Hi I posted the link above at far less of a cost than what you paid. Thanks

the extra 2x zoom to get 7x is actually digital
Yes, it is digital. And that's why it only works on stills. But it still brings you in closer.
My point being, that it does bring you in much closer without having to land and change lenses. I did that a lot when I had the X5.
As you mentioned, there is a 30x zoom available, but at a 30x price!! Plus the size / weight / etc. is at another level.

Yes, it is digital. And that's why it only works on stills. But it still brings you in closer.
My point being, that it does bring you in much closer without having to land and change lenses. I did that a lot when I had the X5.
As you mentioned, there is a 30x zoom available, but at a 30x price!! Plus the size / weight / etc. is at another level.

Agreed. A lot depends on the intended use. The Z30 is not a photography tool - it's a surveillance and inspection tool. It does turn the Matrice into the surveillance device that many people wrongly believe that the Phantom/Mavic aircraft are capable of. We were reading license plates at over 100 yds. But it's only a 2 MP sensor - so basically HD resolution.

Thank you to everyone

I'm not seeing a link, so it's hard to answer the question.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan