ARGtek vs. DBS Mods/ITELITE. Any back to back tests?

I just returned my ARGtek as I wasn't seeing any extra distance. I had high hopes but I'm getting further with a wind surfer. I am considering doing the DBS but nervous about drilling the holes and it still not working. But I did install my ARGtek twice to make sure I did it correctly. Glad its working for other though. Maybe I got a bad kit.

Is the DBS harder to keep the signal strong being directional? Meaning does one have to keep turning remote left to right to pickup signal as you're flying around? I know it's directional but it would have some degree of coverage, say 30 degrees? maybe? Does anyone know this figure?

Can anyone tell me if this model available at Amazon Canada:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N0H5PBY...TF8&colid=225IY19P99BHW&coliid=I30XZ9B09I0W41

is diffrent from this model (not available at Amazon Canada:)
https://www.amazon.com/BlueProton-P...ie=UTF8&qid=1484312541&sr=8-1&keywords=argtek

The second one from BlueProton comes with three omnidirectional antennas and three flat-panel directional antennas, which gives you flexibility depending on how you intend to fly. The first option may be an ArgTEK clone, as it doesn't appear to come with all six antennas.

Reactions: BourgeoisSJC
The second one from BlueProton comes with three omnidirectional antennas and three flat-panel directional antennas, which gives you flexibility depending on how you intend to fly. The first option may be an ArgTEK clone, as it doesn't appear to come with all six antennas.
Wow the "old man eyes" are really failing me today. Didnt even see the extra 3 antennas on the BlueProton ad...

Is the DBS harder to keep the signal strong being directional? Meaning does one have to keep turning remote left to right to pickup signal as you're flying around? I know it's directional but it would have some degree of coverage, say 30 degrees? maybe? Does anyone know this figure?

The further you go the more you have to point toward it. When it's close by I can pretty much turn completely around, but the signal does drop some when I do that of course.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

033f79947b7ddb4cbfbb1524763e9e40.jpg

Here is a pic of my setup.

Reactions: AllDubyas

Do you find yourself flying facing the opposite direction of where your drone is? Before my DBS mod I still found myself facing the drone even if I couldn't see it. Therefore the omni didn't matter to me. If omni doesn't matter, go DBS.

Reactions: BourgeoisSJC
I have just installed Itelite after running ARGtec. I gained a few hundred feet. The strange thing I gained signal in areas I basically had no signal before. Would have stayed with ARGtec if there had been a way of boosting it with amps. Now if I decide to go for it have the platform for it. Probably will when the duel band Sunhans hits the market. All in all both systems beat stock by alot.

Sent from my SM-T817V using PhantomPilots mobile app
You can certainly run amps on the ARGtec setup, you would just need to fabricate some brackets for the antennas. Having said that, the whole setup would get very bulky using amps for either product.

Cheers,
Geoff

I bought genuine Argtec - but didn't get the extra antenna's. Reckon it depends if old inventory ....

But I did get the 10db later omni.

Nigel

Yes your right Geoff but it would look like a cobbled up mess. And the ARGtec is made out of cheap plastic to begin with. Spend the extra 50 bucks, get the Maxx and you have a base to go from for future mods, you know you'll eventually make them..that's the nature of the beast.

Reactions: gbmarsh64
Yes your right Geoff but it would look like a cobbled up mess. And the ARGtec is made out of cheap plastic to begin with. Spend the extra 50 bucks, get the Maxx and you have a base to go from for future mods, you know you'll eventually make them..that's the nature of the beast.

Oh trust me, after spending the last few years building and flying long(ish) range, APM based FPV planes, I'm all about mods and upgrades:grinning:l'll likely end up buying both antenna mods eventually as I already have two P3 Standards;)

Reactions: k9time
I read a lot of 'bias' in replies ....

The main factor is to decide what you want to do. Do you want extreme range ? Do you want to have better connection in the range you have ? They are not same criteria.

I wanted consistent reliable connection on both control and WiFi within a reasonable range of 1000m.

Argtec has given me that for $40 ... it needs no drilling or real tool work on the controller.

If I wanted results at a longer range - then I could justify the greater cost and to be honest Butt Ugly DBS antenna ... boy is it ugly !! I can well imagine the botched crap installations that some have ended up with !!

Take note that DBS is more directional than the Argtec as well ....

Bias ? No me ? Ha Ha !!

Nigel

I read a lot of 'bias' in replies ....

The main factor is to decide what you want to do. Do you want extreme range ? Do you want to have better connection in the range you have ? They are not same criteria.

I wanted consistent reliable connection on both control and WiFi within a reasonable range of 1000m.

Argtec has given me that for $40 ... it needs no drilling or real tool work on the controller.

If I wanted results at a longer range - then I could justify the greater cost and to be honest Butt Ugly DBS antenna ... boy is it ugly !! I can well imagine the botched crap installations that some have ended up with !!

Take note that DBS is more directional than the Argtec as well ....

Bias ? No me ? Ha Ha !!

Nigel

Awe, ugly? I thought mine looks pretty cool. Kinda reminds me of Bane from Batman with all its wires.
25e3b7953a0c73e4900a7db382ca764a.jpg

Reactions: k9time
My Backpack ... you would not be able to put the DBS in mine ... at least as BigR ... I can just remove Argtec antenna in seconds and controller goes in nicely. WITHOUT cutting foam to suit.

Sorry but I really do think the DBS is butt-ugly ... and its price is higher than a separate Tx / Rx FPV combo !!

Nigel

My Backpack ... you would not be able to put the DBS in mine ... at least as BigR ... I can just remove Argtec antenna in seconds and controller goes in nicely. WITHOUT cutting foam to suit.

Sorry but I really do think the DBS is butt-ugly ... and its price is higher than a separate Tx / Rx FPV combo !!

Nigel

I can remove the DBS in 10 seconds.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl