Are you guys registering your Phantoms?

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Unfortunately.
The Congress of the US can create 'agencies'. Some of these are more well known than others. They include EPA, OSHA, IRS, and...wait for it...the FAA. These agencies can formulate regulations based on their 'charter' or area of interest. People have regularly challenged these agencies as unconstitutional and have lost just about every single case. What the FAA says is now law, is now law.
Yes , Congress created those agencies, and since Congress created them, Congress can elect how much power they have. (Of course not more than their own power) Congress will let those agencies know when they over step their bounds. Why would Congress tell FAA "The Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft". ? If they weren't over stepping bounds?
This is going to take a test case to find out.

It should be required to be informed at time of sale. That's kinda shady sales techniques from that store.

I agree. I was thinking like...."dirtbags....they know but they also know these people might not buy if they mention a government registration".

Who would report it? Why would they? Just because some of us disagree with you doesn't mean we're joining the gestapo. Also, as far as I know there is no requirement that Best Buy or anyone else notify buyers that they must register.

I agree with you. Just look at the responses I've got so far..

Reactions: JKDSensei
Not registering. If it was illegal for me to fly as is, I shouldn't have been able to buy it. If they want to put legislation on new purchases then those people can decide if they are still interested in buying it. Then DJI and every other manufacturer would lobby against this and it would go away.

Not registering. If it was illegal for me to fly as is, I shouldn't have been able to buy it. If they want to put legislation on new purchases then those people can decide if they are still interested in buying it. Then DJI and every other manufacturer would lobby against this and it would go away.
DJI not only did NOT lobby against it (the AMA did!), they worked with the FAA to develop hobbyist and industry friendly rules. They know on which side their bread is buttered. Registration will not go away, in fact the requirements are likely to become more stringent. Don't register. I'm sure you are an informed adult capable of making considered decisions.

DJI not only did NOT lobby against it (the AMA did!), they worked with the FAA to develop hobbyist and industry friendly rules. They know on which side their bread is buttered. Registration will not go away, in fact the requirements are likely to become more stringent. Don't register. I'm sure you are an informed adult capable of making considered decisions.

If it was required at POS and their bottom line then became affected, better believe their allegiance would flip. The almighty dollar speaks volumes. Maybe their bottom line wouldn't be affected, however, and my point would be mute.

I registered. Just like getting a drivers license, a SS number and voter registration. I am sure the government already knows who I am. And I thought most of what I read on the FAA site was well reasoned and thoughtful.

The day after I registered, two men in black suits showed up and raped my cats, dressed my dog in a tux and gave my daughter a perm. They went through all of my collection and placed Hello Kitty emblems on them and warned me to fly safe or they'll molest my car next time. It was horrible.

What are all of your smart [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] people gonna do when your remote controlled quadcopter flys away and crashes into someone's head and they sue you for all you are worth because your number is attached to it? I'm genuinely curious. DJI will not be liable since it can now be pinned to you, even though you aren't at fault. How does this legislation protect you? Think the government will save you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: aka1ceman
Yes I did its just so you can be accountable in case you mess up,with a plane,sport,concert,etc you know the law always wins,so don't give us a bad name,that's all!!

Reactions: aka1ceman
I was planning on it. BUT the law says I still have to register it. So what are you trying to say ? I also fly my Goblin 770 with autopilot too. It's not registered and doesn't have to be. Why is that ? It can out fly and is a whole lot more dangerous than a little DJI quad.
You've mentioned several times that it doesn't require registration but are you sure it doesn't?
Check the registration info again.
Which unmanned aircraft do I have to register?
Owners must register their UAS online if it meets the following guidelines:

Weighs more than 0.55 lbs. (250 g) and less than 55 lbs. (25 kg)

I can't see how your Goblin is exempt.

What are all of your smart assed people gonna do when your remote controlled quadcopter flys away and crashes into someone's head and they sue you for all you are worth because your number is attached to it? I'm genuinely curious. DJI will not be liable since it can now be pinned to you, even though you aren't at fault. How does this legislation protect you? Think the government will save you?

I am not in favor of registration, but the above has nothing to do with it.

If, heaven forbid, my drone (or my car, or anything else I was in "control" of) malfunctioned and harmed someone, I would NOT hide and hope i don't get caught. I would own up to it like a responsible human being. My homeowner's insurance covers me for accidents. Even in a civil case, someone would have a hard time winning due to a mechanical function (more likely to sue the manufacture in that case). What happens if the brakes on your car go out... do you go to jail? Any smart ambulance chaser is going to take the insurance settlement and then hit up Toyota for making a faulty product.

Even if you don't see the ethical dilemma, consider the consequences. When you own up to an accident, it remains an accident. When you hide and hope not to get caught, it often become a crime. When you finally do get caught, you not only have more problems, but you get shown to be the a-hole you really are. (Not directed at you personally - just a general comment regard hit and runs)

I am not in favor of registration, but the above has nothing to do with it.

If, heaven forbid, my drone (or my car, or anything else I was in "control" of) malfunctioned and harmed someone, I would NOT hide and hope i don't get caught. I would own up to it like a responsible human being. My homeowner's insurance covers me for accidents. Even in a civil case, someone would have a hard time winning due to a mechanical function (more likely to sue the manufacture in that case). What happens if the brakes on your car go out... do you go to jail? Any smart ambulance chaser is going to take the insurance settlement and then hit up Toyota for making a faulty product.

Even if you don't see the ethical dilemma, consider the consequences. When you own up to an accident, it remains an accident. When you hide and hope not to get caught, it often become a crime. When you finally do get caught, you not only have more problems, but you get shown to be the a-hole you really are. (Not directed at you personally - just a general comment regard hit and runs)

How do you know what happens out of your sight? Do you actually know what happens to you when your homeowners insurance is sued based on your perceived "negligence"?

What are all of your smart assed people gonna do when your remote controlled quadcopter flys away and crashes into someone's head and they sue you for all you are worth because your number is attached to it?
Are you suggesting that people should do a hit and run instead? That's no doubt a federal crime. This is a great example of why the registration process is necessary.

Reactions: StumbleBee
How do you know what happens out of your sight? Do you actually know what happens to you when your homeowners insurance is sued based on your perceived "negligence"?

Flying line of sight, you would see. I also suspect that the blood stains and pieces of scalp in your props might give the idea that something was amiss. When I hear a person scream in distress, I tend to run TOWARDS the scream to lend assistance, rather than away in fear I might be implicated.

Homeowner's provides a level of protection, but that is not the main point.

If you are going to defend the ethics of accidentally "crashing into someone's head" and then running away to hide, I do not think you and I have much we can reasonably discuss on this topic. If your ethical stance on this matter is commonplace, then it is the most compelling argument I have seen in favor of registration - not just of drones, but of everything. I am horrified, but it may change my position on the topic (and on people in general).

I'll answer that. Your 'insurance' is not sued. You would be. If you have coverage your insurance company would ask you if you would like them to represent you in court. The reason they would suggest it is that they have money to lose if the judgement is against you. Most people accept the offer because it costs them nothing to obtain the legal defense.
If my drone damaged property or hurt someone I would man up about it. I have when my car did and I would expect no less from another responsible person.

What are all of your smart assed people gonna do when your remote controlled quadcopter flys away and crashes into someone's head and they sue you for all you are worth because your number is attached to it? I'm genuinely curious. DJI will not be liable since it can now be pinned to you, even though you aren't at fault. How does this legislation protect you? Think the government will save you?
It's called being a responsible person and not a coward. No one forced you to fly a UAV. You know the risk so you man/woman up and take responsibility if there is an issue. Such is life.;)

You've mentioned several times that it doesn't require registration but are you sure it doesn't?
Check the registration info again.
Which unmanned aircraft do I have to register?
Owners must register their UAS online if it meets the following guidelines:

Weighs more than 0.55 lbs. (250 g) and less than 55 lbs. (25 kg)

I can't see how your Goblin is exempt.

I have just been going on what the Internet and news has been reporting on. I haven't notice any talk of anything besides drones. Maybe I'm missing something and I will be first to admit I'm wrong unlike some of these "FAA Experts" on here.

It's called being a responsible person and not a coward. No one forced you to fly a UAV. You know the risk so you man/woman up and take responsibility if there is an issue. Such is life.;)

The real cowards are the ones in this thread wanting mods to ban folks like me for expressing how We feel about it all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West