Are you guys registering your Phantoms?

Your premise that those who do not want to register are flying outside of the "safety regulations" is just plain wrong. Most here are just debating the merits of registration, period. That seems to piss off the Statists, though. By the way.................. I registered yesterday. To me, this battle is already lost. Time to move on to another battle. But that in no way implies that I don't support those who see it as an unnecessary intrusion by the government.

What I said was "IF you're planning on using your drone outside of the safety regulations specified by the FAA, don't register it." No premise was made... advice for one instance was given..

The battle might be over, but the nature of the fight is pointless. Seeing the law was passed, I complied. My only existing negative to the
new regulation is getting caught with an unregistered drone. As I like to fly, I really don't need the added worry of not being registered.
Did I want it? No.

Oh good lord! Another "real" pilot has joined the forum! Gonna tell us how experienced and important he is, and how he's gonna run the show now!! You guys come and go, so try not to be all holier-than-thou. We're not flying Cessna's, just toy quadcopters. Get over yourself.

:rolleyes:
Either you just don't get it, or you insist on sticking your head in the sand. Call them toys if you insist, I don't have a problem with that. But they are toys that can injure or kill if inappropriately used. And perhaps you aren't up to speed on what you don't care to know about, but the new regulations don't apply just to 'toy quadcopters'. They apply to any unmanned, remote controlled aircraft weighing between half a pound and 55 pounds. That includes 4 engine B29 models and octocopters and everything in between.
You can argue that our P3s are hardly the equivalent of those behemoths but the FAA saw fit not to split hairs. I'm sure though that they seriously considered your letter of objection during the public comments period.

FYI: The FAA UAS registration Website will be offline tonight from 2300-0600 tomorrow morning for to complete a second round of planned maintenance and updating. More than 45,000 registrations by the close of business on Tuesday alone. An overwhelming number of people have successfully registered, some have reported performance issues. These are being addressed apparently. According to industry estimates, as many as 400,000 small UAS's are expected to be sold over the holidays. They hope registration will foster a greater awareness on the part of users to learn about flying safely in the National Airspace System. Registration will also enable the FAA to trace the ownership of an aircraft in the event of an incident.

Really? Why do you insist on badgering people? I think you're on the wrong forum...

in not in the wrong fourm. You want all these regulations to eventually take the fun out of owning a quad. Maybe you are in the wrong forum.

in not in the wrong fourm. You want all these regulations to eventually take the fun out of owning a quad. Maybe you are in the wrong forum.
Either you're having trouble comprehending or you're just here to badger people. I think it's pretty obvious what you're up to though.

Either you just don't get it, or you insist on sticking your head in the sand. Call them toys if you insist, I don't have a problem with that. But they are toys that can injure or kill if inappropriately used. And perhaps you aren't up to speed on what you don't care to know about, but the new regulations don't apply just to 'toy quadcopters'. They apply to any unmanned, remote controlled aircraft weighing between half a pound and 55 pounds. That includes 4 engine B29 models and octocopters and everything in between.
You can argue that our P3s are hardly the equivalent of those behemoths but the FAA saw fit not to split hairs. I'm sure though that they seriously considered your letter of objection during the public comments period.

I really do not understand all the hostility. No one is coming or going. I/WE are trying to inform and learn from each other here. I will apologize to anyone that thought I was calling them a name. I was addressing the conspiracy theory argument presented much earlier in this debate. I did not intend to hurt anyone's feelings. As an experienced pilot who has learned much about aviation and the NAS over the years, I am trying to help people understand better the issues at stake. I cannot help it if you take offense to an experienced pilot trying to explain why this issue is important to all who use the NAS. The government doesn't own the NAS, WE DO. It belongs to the public. I truly believe there in no ill-intent by the FAA. They just want everyone who does use the NAS to be on the same page. Oh and SNERD, this is directly for you, I AM NOT GOING ANYWHERE. Lighten up!

Reactions: WetDog

Would you care to list the amount of "toys" that are not regulated that can hurt or kill someone if used improperly? That list would be extremely long and yet they're still called toys.

Also, of the millions flying around exactly how many recreational drones have been linked to deaths? Serious question, I don't know.

If having to register as a drone pilot is taking all the fun out of it for you then perhaps you should consider another hobby. I registered on Monday. I'm having even more fun than before.

If having to register as a drone pilot is taking all the fun out of it for you then perhaps you should consider another hobby. I registered on Monday. I'm having even more fun than before.
Just curious....................... what did registering do to make you have more fun?! I'll have what he's having lol!!

Reactions: aka1ceman
Would you care to list the amount of "toys" that are not regulated that can hurt or kill someone if used improperly? That list would be extremely long and yet they're still called toys.

Also, of the millions flying around exactly how many recreational drones have been linked to deaths? Serious question, I don't know.
Would you really like me to give you a list of unregulated toys? I can't. There aren't any. I was a Quality Engineer for Mattel, the toy company, for four years. Every single consumer product has regulations with which it must comply before being sold to the public. For starters they must not have choking hazards, poisoning hazards, laceration hazards and so on. Very few toys present the clear and obvious dangers to the public which are inherent in our drones. Do I have to list those dangers or are they as obvious to you as they are to me?
How many recreational drones have been linked to deaths? None that I am aware of. Yet. Let's do our best to keep it that way.

Just curious....................... what did registering do to make you have more fun?! I'll have what he's having lol!!

That's my question...

Registering did nothing to affect the fun level of flying since Monday. What's increased dramatically is the fun I get out of reading all the tempest in a teapot threads in this forum.

Do you think this will be the end of regulations for these now ? I would say not. Before you know it we will be limited on how long we can use them per day. I do t need a new hobby. I will continue to do what I've been doing. You can come by for some flight lessons if you would like.

Do you think this will be the end of regulations for these now ? I would say not. Before you know it we will be limited on how long we can use them per day. I do t need a new hobby. I will continue to do what I've been doing. You can come by for some flight lessons if you would like.
I'd like that, I try to improve every time I fly. You are probably right about the regulations expanding. That's the way things usually go. One day we'll be looking back at these days as the good old days.

Would you really like me to give you a list of unregulated toys? I can't. There aren't any. I was a Quality Engineer for Mattel, the toy company, for four years. Every single consumer product has regulations with which it must comply before being sold to the public. For starters they must not have choking hazards, poisoning hazards, laceration hazards and so on. Very few toys present the clear and obvious dangers to the public which are inherent in our drones. Do I have to list those dangers or are they as obvious to you as they are to me?
How many recreational drones have been linked to deaths? None that I am aware of. Yet. Let's do our best to keep it that way.

But yet they "can kill"? This is a great assumption. I feel as if my drone fell from the sky and landed on top of my head i'd have a pretty bad headache....that's about it. Sure, given the right circumstance anything can cause death. How many children have died from choking on your regulated Legos?

The toys you listed are regulated in the sense that the drone is regulated in production. Lack of lead paint and asbestos, shouldn't spontaneously catch on fire, etc..... Oh wait, there's a "regulated" toy that was just released that's burning people's houses down right now. Probably should start registering hover boards.

I'd like that, I try to improve every time I fly. You are probably right about the regulations expanding. That's the way things usually go. One day we'll be looking back at these days as the good old days.

I agree and that's the sad part. The more the government gets involved the less fun we can have. I don't take my drone or helicopters out trying to hurt anyone or fly crazy. I just want to use them and have fun.

Well Said. There go those nasty facts again getting in the way of feelings. It hasn't happened yet is right, that I know of. I think probability statistics will dictate that when 400,000 plus or more UAS's are expected to be flying around the US starting this Friday, the probability of an manned aircraft/UAS mishap will rise exponentially. And the FAA knows it. That's why regulation is not only appropriate but necessary. Of course I could be wrong. It's just my opinion.

Well Said. There go those nasty facts again getting in the way of feelings. It hasn't happened yet is right, that I know of. I think probability statistics will dictate that when 400,000 plus or more UAS's are expected to be flying around the US starting this Friday, the probability of an manned aircraft/UAS mishap will rise exponentially. And the FAA knows it. That's why regulation is not only appropriate but necessary. Of course I could be wrong. It's just my opinion.

I must have over-looked the facts you are citing.

Reactions: aka1ceman
Ok. Your right. It's nonsense. No danger here. Their just toys flying where aircraft fly. No concern here. Got it. You have backed up your argument with solid facts. Your right. You win. Do you feel better now? I would like to hear your argument again next year when we are all here discussing an incident, hopefully it won't cost any lives.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peoplelogic