Are there Rules about flying over neighbors homes???

I fly around my neighborhood all the time nope living so close to beach not any open areas to fly but my neighbors don't care think its cool looking at night with leds going

One of my neighbors about 1000 ft away threatened to shoot mine down if I flew over his property again. I had flown over the backside of his property which is on the community pond on the way out and then back in. I was just buzzing around my house after I returned when he pulled up and yelled at me then drove back to his house. I landed and put it away then drove up to talk to him. When I got there I could tell he had obviously been drinking when he walked up to my jeep. He has a backyard pool too and said he didn't want me spying on his daughter and wife. I tried to explain that these things aren't exactly military grade and you just can't zoom in on somebody. They're also quite noisy so you can't really sneak up and hover and that the media has everybody freaked out about the "evil drones". He didn't seem to care so I just apologized and said it wouldn't happen again. I did offer for him to come by some time and I would show him how it worked so he could see it was really no threat to his family. He never has done it so oh well, just not worth worrying about it.

Same thing I ran into. I offered to show them in person and got nope, don't care.

I fly over my neighbors too no one owns the airspace above them even planes fly over too.

You cannot spy with these drones the noise they make.

Reactions: flpholt
yep last time I checked this is usa can fly wherever I like as long as I play by faa rules

Reactions: Mikepoo
Melo, can't see how you could have handled it any better. I think the best practice is to fly as responsibly as you can - someone might still get POed regardless of whether or not you're in the wrong, but it's absolutely worth the risk. I carry a gun every day and I can count on one hand the number of people who are aware of that; no harm, no foul.

There are always those practitioners who are painfully aware of the limits of the law and dance right on the edge of them, basically claiming not to care what anyone else thinks; this does nothing but damage the cause for everyone else. Believe me, the gun community makes this stuff look like my little pony.

If you have a superhuman ability to tolerate hearing about absolute morons, try this out -

Gunman vows to continue carrying AK47 in parks

Gunman vows to continue carrying AK-47 to parks | Nashville City Paper

As much as it crushed me to admit it, he *is* within his rights, but he made every one of the rest of us look like an idiot. This fool's actions had lasting legislative ramifications. And two years ago he was walking around high schools and colleges openly carrying a rifle. Ridiculous. Thankfully, he's lost his permit to carry and had to declare bankruptcy fighting charges.

6a00d8345295c269e201a5116584a7970c-800wi

After typing all this, I see that it's almost totally irrelevant. Sorry! Guess thinking about those who abuse the privileges we enjoy with drones hit a bit of a nerve.

Melo, can't see how you could have handled it any better. I think the best practice is to fly as responsibly as you can - someone might still get POed regardless of whether or not you're in the wrong, but it's absolutely worth the risk. I carry a gun every day and I can count on one hand the number of people who are aware of that; no harm, no foul.

There are always those practitioners who are painfully aware of the limits of the law and dance right on the edge of them, basically claiming not to care what anyone else thinks; this does nothing but damage the cause for everyone else. Believe me, the gun community makes this stuff look like my little pony.

If you have a superhuman ability to tolerate hearing about absolute morons, try this out -

Gunman vows to continue carrying AK47 in parks

Gunman vows to continue carrying AK-47 to parks | Nashville City Paper

As much as it crushed me to admit it, he *is* within his rights, but he made every one of the rest of us look like an idiot. This fool's actions had lasting legislative ramifications. And two years ago he was walking around high schools and colleges openly carrying a rifle. Ridiculous. Thankfully, he's lost his permit to carry and had to declare bankruptcy fighting charges.

6a00d8345295c269e201a5116584a7970c-800wi

After typing all this, I see that it's almost totally irrelevant. Sorry! Guess thinking about those who abuse the privileges we enjoy with drones hit a bit of a nerve.
wow little off topic most of us who own a firearm don't go around telling everyone we carry first rule don't advertise it

Aircraft Rules in Canada say you must be above 1000 feet when flying over built up areas.
With drones it is not a good idea to fly above people at any height.
One fellow in Vancouver crashed onto the roof of a multi-million $$$ commercial building, lithium battery shorted out and burned it down.

If you get your Remote Pilot certification, here's the rule about flying over people (but not houses):

http://www.uav-groundschool.com/library/flight-over-persons.pdf

I'm very confused about this 'flying over people'. If this is the case, how in the heck does anyone have the ability to take any aerial photos in suburban/urban areas. We all talk about 'countryside', 'oceans', 'lakes', nature. However, I'm trying to start a hobby-level side business with the hopes of building it into something better. I want to focus on construction progression, commercial real estate and very high-end residential real estate (i.e, $1MM homes and up). Has anyone ever considered modifying drones (such as my P3P) with safety parachutes so that in the event of complete loss of UAS (ie, 'flyaways'), mechanical failure where they could potentially fall from the sky and severely injure/kill someone below. It would seem likely that all manufacturers should begin R&D to add a safety feature like this so this could reduce or eliminate the chance of a major catastrophe like this. Any comments???

Try to avoid relying on some arbitrary number/altitude above one's house regarding 'property rights'. It's not defined in absolute terms.
the altitude I gave is not arbitrary - its referenced in old case law regrading property rights.

i won't to know if there are any rules that says i can't fly my drone around my countryside

The law about low-altitude flights over private property is unclear, and anyone who says otherwise is blowing smoke. The best solution, as some folks are saying, is to try to avoid having it become and issue. Your neighbor seems a little hypersensitive, but I'd just avoid that flight path as much as possible.

I have an idiot neighbor who has a bunch of motorcycles and stuff - thinks he's a real badass. He's always out in his trashy yard and almost every time I fly over his house, he shoots at my drone. well at least i think he does, it's happened several times. he won't be doing any shooting but if i hover over his house for a minute i'll hear a gun shot. at first i got mad, but then i realized the chances of him hitting my drone moving slightly at 200+ feet is pretty slim, so now i do it just to piss him off. anyway, it's definitely not illegal.

Reactions: Mikepoo
I live in the country , i was flying my p3p yesterday evening around 7:45 i just took her up to 200 ft and flew out aound 3000 feet and made a square route and when i was returning to my home point my neighbor from about a half mile from me came pulling in my drive and asked me if that was my drone flying over there home, i said yes only person who has a drone around my place, she sorta didn't like the idea, they have a pool, she said it sounded like a bunch of bees, i didn't stop over their home , i won't to know if there are any rules that says i can't fly my drone around my countryside, and yes my drone is registered, has anybody else experienced this problem, sorta wants me to just sell it and call it quits???????
I avoid houses and people just tell them sorry and plan a route that does not include potential trouble.

I'm very confused about this 'flying over people'. If this is the case, how in the heck does anyone have the ability to take any aerial photos in suburban/urban areas. We all talk about 'countryside', 'oceans', 'lakes', nature. However, I'm trying to start a hobby-level side business with the hopes of building it into something better.

Hey there, Dan. Sorry, I don't have a solution to your dilemma. Just be aware that if you're going to operate under Part 107, those are the rules. You'll have to find some way to work within the system.

I have an idiot neighbor who has a bunch of motorcycles and stuff - thinks he's a real badass. He's always out in his trashy yard and almost every time I fly over his house, he shoots at my drone. well at least i think he does, it's happened several times. he won't be doing any shooting but if i hover over his house for a minute i'll hear a gun shot. at first i got mad, but then i realized the chances of him hitting my drone moving slightly at 200+ feet is pretty slim, so now i do it just to piss him off. anyway, it's definitely not illegal.
if I seen someone shooting at my drone first thing would be a call 911

Exactly. When it comes to drone we have guidelines (not laws) written by entities (FAA) not given power to make laws (Congress) but do it anyway in the "name of safety" to give a few drone operators a false sense of security thinking they won't take more rights if we play by their illegal guidelines. So When Congress changes in writing what FAA's powers are when it comes to model aircraft, then I will no longer have anything to say.
As a nice neighbor try to avoid it to prevent waves but unless you have some city ordinance, etc your not breaking any laws

Firearms have definitive laws. Discharging a firearm in many residential area is nothing to play with. And warrants arrest in most situations. I'm more of a 2nd Amendment supporter than drone but he's still in the wrong to discharge a firearm at a drone. What if he hits the drone and it crashes into some kid? That's more likely than it crashing into a kid on its own.

Exactly. When it comes to drone we have guidelines (not laws) written by entities (FAA) not given power to make laws (Congress) but do it anyway in the "name of safety" to give a few drone operators a false sense of security thinking they won't take more rights if we play by their illegal guidelines. So When Congress changes in writing what FAA's powers are when it comes to model aircraft, then I will no longer have anything to say.
As a nice neighbor try to avoid it to prevent waves but unless you have some city ordinance, etc your not breaking any laws

Firearms have definitive laws. Discharging a firearm in many residential area is nothing to play with. And warrants arrest in most situations. I'm more of a 2nd Amendment supporter than drone but he's still in the wrong to discharge a firearm at a drone. What if he hits the drone and it crashes into some kid? That's more likely than it crashing into a kid on its own.
bullets go up they have to come down somewhere

I live in a residential area and fly my drone right out of my backyard all the time. The other week one of my neighbors came up to me while I was flying and rudely told me to "not fly in his airspace" I told him I was sorry and assured him that I'm not using it to spy on him, but nonetheless would still avoid flying over his house. Since then I've been flying up to ~250 feet after takeoff before I go crossing property lines. I still fly over his house if its the direct path back to me from where I'm flying but its always at high altitudes. I suggest you try to do the same thing and you should be okay.

Aircraft Rules in Canada say you must be above 1000 feet when flying over built up areas.
With drones it is not a good idea to fly above people at any height.
One fellow in Vancouver crashed onto the roof of a multi-million $$$ commercial building, lithium battery shorted out and burned it down.
Without a reference I have to call BS on this one. Did some searching and the closest thing I could find were a couple of articles about a commercial drone malfunctioning, crashing into the side of an accounting firm (minimal damage) then hitting the sidewalk before catching on fire. No one hurt, no additional damage, drone total loss.

Reactions: N017RW
from everything i've heard, i don't think the cops would do anything. i'd have to prove he was shooting at me first, and i don't want to get close enough to get him on film if you know what i mean. it's ok, it's kinda fun buzzing his house. he's got a hot daughter too so i wouldn't want to ruin my chances by ratting him out. lol

Reactions: flpholt

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl