Any tip on how to reduce motor heat?

Reaction score
On DJI stock motors.

Thanks

Heat is a natural byproduct of using energy :) so I'm not sure what problem you are trying to solve. Are the motors super hot or something?

Warm is OK, hot could indicate a problem. How hot?

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Hi, yeah, I don't have a laser thermometer or something like that, but P2 motors normally feels a little too hot after flights,
because of the extra weight, so, was wondering is there any tip to reduce some heat.

What do you mean by extra weight? What are you carrying? Can you touch the motors? Or do they almost or actually burn you?

If I remove the gimbal and gopro (extra weight), after flight motor temp is the normal warm,
with gimbal, gopro and 9443 props gets really hot at touch but not burning hot,
with gimbal, gopro and 9450 props gets just hot, but still would like to drop a little more that heat.

Edit: Weather is around 24C/75F

I usually touch my motors as part of my post-flight check, and I have not noticed them being noticeably warmer with gimbal/camera vs without... And I have a very similar setup to yours, except that I have a 3 axis GLB gimbal instead of DYS.

witold said:
I usually touch my motors as part of my post-flight check, and I have not noticed them being noticeably warmer with gimbal/camera vs without... And I have a very similar setup to yours, except that I have a 3 axis GLB gimbal instead of DYS.

And how is your weather temp lately? Similar to mine (24C/75f)?

More weight, more current, more heat.
If they are all hot, then its your operation. If one is hotter than the others, this could be a motor problem.
Test the resistance on the leads of the hottest motor, with a multimeter, vs the cooler operation ones.

FedeVision said:
witold said:

And how is your weather temp lately? Similar to mine (24C/75f)?

We have been hitting 90F here.

I only go by touch, hoping that if I have a bad motors I will know before it falls out of the sky. The motors are only slightly warm to the touch.

My flights are usually moving around. I do not just hover in place too much... that probably makes a difference.

RipperFox said:
More weight, more current, more heat.
If they are all hot, then its your operation. If one is hotter than the others, this could be a motor problem.
Test the resistance on the leads of the hottest motor, with a multimeter, vs the cooler operation ones.

All the four motors gets hot with same temp at touch, you and witold are right that may be my operation way,
I've been making a lot of hover, cause lots of tests for my gimbal tuning, and now that you mention it, now I remember
I did a regular flight like a week ago, and motors didn't get as hot as when hovering,
guess you both hit the nail there, thanks!

Something I noted today is that it seems vertical gains are related too,
if we set low gains then the motors spin faster, right?

Very usefull page, thank you!
But saw nothing about gains vs rpm.

Trying to apply logic here on vertical gains:

Low gains for a setup = low motor power (pull up) = higher rpm (more heat)

Hi-er gains for a setup = more motor power = lower rpm

If wrong, please enlight me.

FedeVision said:
Very usefull page, thank you!
But saw nothing about gains vs rpm.

Trying to apply logic here on vertical gains:

Low gains for a setup = low motor power (pull up) = higher rpm (more heat)

Hi-er gains for a setup = more motor power = lower rpm

If wrong, please enlight me.

You saw nothing because there is no direct correlation.

Generally speaking, the gains are for the 'feedback loop' of the control system.
You can Google this subject for more information on PID loops, etc.

You will not find your temperature problem/solution in the gain domain.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl