Antenna type and distance achieved

mra1228 said:
I just tested the new 2.4 GHz LHCP Parasitic disk helix from FPVLR on my range extender and got 3,000 feet distance at 400 feet altitude with P2V pointed away and NO MODS to P2V! I didn't have time to test distance with P2V stock camera antennas sideways but I'm sure the distance would have been beyond RC.

Next I'll install some of Tony's LHCP pinwheels on the camera (since I'll be installing a gimbal soon) and see how much greater range I get!

Thanks for sharing this , can't wait for mine to being shipped out to me. :mrgreen:

ClimbrJohn said:
Circling back to the original intent of this thread, I created a new thread with a link to a shared spreadsheet where people can share their test results of various antennas. Please add your results and make a suggestion / comment. Thanks!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9781

*updated permissions to edit.

Thank you Climbr John. Excellent idea. Area tested might also be a good column of interest. For example middle of desert or metro area. I live in a very hilly terrain with lots of WiFi in my neighborhood. I think it is possible that can impact my distance, especially if I do not fly high enough above the hills. Thanks to themosttoys and others here I am learning, and have more testing to do, then will post my results on your sheet. Thanks again :)

aFiF said:
mra1228 said:
I just tested the new 2.4 GHz LHCP Parasitic disk helix from FPVLR on my range extender and got 3,000 feet distance at 400 feet altitude with P2V pointed away and NO MODS to P2V! I didn't have time to test distance with P2V stock camera antennas sideways but I'm sure the distance would have been beyond RC.

Next I'll install some of Tony's LHCP pinwheels on the camera (since I'll be installing a gimbal soon) and see how much greater range I get!

Hi Can you post photos of how you have mounted your antennas

Thx

FPVLR said:
Here is a size comparison between the half dome antenna and the parasitic helix.

The gain is almost the same, there is about 1 dB difference between the 2.

the parasitic is between 9 and 10 dBi
and the half dome is between 8 and 9 dBi.

FPVLR.COM

1) Tony, I still didn't receive my parasitic and pinwheel antennas, but, in the meantime, I would like to know how will I attach the parasitic antenna to my Wi-Fi setup?

2) The difference between the parasitic and the half dome means what, in terms of distance?

3) I'm planning to keep the original P2V setup working for just one of the 2 stock antennas, both in the Wi-Fi transmitter and in the camera transmitter. Is this the best way I should do it, if I want to keep good signal strength both for close range and longer range?

Thanks ! I can't wait to see some pics of how these look mounted .. Will you be able to do this so we can see what they look like in different configurations. I really don't want to worry about pointing right at the phantom and flying sideways.

Here is my 6.5 turn mounted

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 284
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 320
Looks great.
What do you expect the results to be?
Why the blue (no idea how to call this antenna) is better than the 6.5 turn?
What else needed in order to make it work? I mean does it come with all the cables and plugs to attach to the P2V and extender?

FPVLR I was at your site to purchase the antennas I needed but I kind of confused myself looking at the differnet antennas and what someone else has. I have been following MR305. He has the same setup I have with the same tx antenna. The only thing he's added is the 6.5 turn helical which he has mounted on his repeater.

You suggested to me to get a Helix 5.8 RHCP for RC control and a Parasitic helix LHCP.

Is the 6.5 better than the 5.8 and the Pinwheel you're referring to is the 2.4GHZ LHCP Pinwheel for $29.99? Just want to make sure.

Thanks for you patience ;)

mmotown said:
FPVLR I was at your site to purchase the antennas I needed but I kind of confused myself looking at the differnet antennas and what someone else has. I have been following MR305. He has the same setup I have with the same tx antenna. The only thing he's added is the 6.5 turn helical which he has mounted on his repeater.

You suggested to me to get a Helix 5.8 RHCP for RC control and a Parasitic helix LHCP.

Is the 6.5 better than the 5.8 and the Pinwheel you're referring to is the 2.4GHZ LHCP Pinwheel for $29.99? Just want to make sure.

The 5.8 helix is for the control signal
The 2.4 is for parasitic is for wifi signal

mr_3_0_5 said:
mmotown said:

Thanks MR305 so it doesn't matter if I get the 5.8 or the 6.5

Hi Just to add confusion to the discussion this is what I ordered from FPVLR

Can you make the 5.8 4.25 RHCP with a 3 inch semi rigid cable terminating in male SMA
Can you make 1 pinwheel in 5.8 RHCP terminating in male SMA You didn't have a 3 inch pinwheel for 5.8 so I selected 1 extra 2.4 pinwheel assuming price will be similar.
Can you make the 2.4 pinwheel LHCP terminating in male SMA
Can you make parasitic disk LHCP terminating in male SMA

I got the parasitic disk in 2.4 as it is looks quite small and a good fit for the current wifi repeater.
I got the 3 inch pinwheels as they will fit nicely under the landing skid and not hit the ground before the skids
There is no option on the site yet for a 5.8 3 inch pinwheel so I asked for this to be made.

Kept 5.8 RHCP and 2.4 on LHCP as per advice from Tony

Will wait for delivery and post pics once fitted.

mmotown said:
mr_3_0_5 said:
mmotown said:

Thanks MR305 so it doesn't matter if I get the 5.8 or the 6.5

I think your getting confused the 5.8g is the frequency it uses for the controls
The 2.4g is for the wifi signal

So it does matter what are you trying to extend at this point ?
How far do you want it to go ?

3000' is what I would like to achieve with FPV. I do know 5.8 is the tx freq and 2.4 was for the repeater. I guess what confused me is you had the 6.5 with the same tx ... but 3000' is cool with me. The furthest I have achieved is 2300' and that's not in a rural area. I will eventually try to make the camera mod.

mmotown said:
3000' is what I would like to achieve with FPV. I do know 5.8 is the tx freq and 2.4 was for the repeater. I guess what confused me is you had the 6.5 with the same tx ... but 3000' is cool with me. The furthest I have achieved is 2300' and that's not in a rural area. I will eventually try to make the camera mod.

What do you have done at the moment?
What antennas?
And what signal are you losing at the moment?

I have the RP-SMA 5.8G 11db aerial FPV high gain panel antenna for FPV 5.8Ghz TX RX on my tx
and I also swap out the TP 8dbi omni and TP 9dbi directional on my repeater. I was using the TP link 14dbi but it was too big.

mmotown said:
I have the RP-SMA 5.8G 11db aerial FPV high gain panel antenna for FPV 5.8Ghz TX RX on my tx
and I also swap out the TP 8dbi omni and TP 9dbi directional on my repeater. I was using the TP link 14dbi but it was too big.

I often lose the wifi first

At this point I don't think you need to change your tx antenna
I have used the stock rubber sucky antenna on the tx and still can get to 3000 ft without a problem
You would need to upgrade your wifi antenna or keep the 9 dbi panel you have and add a pinwheel to the pv2

mr_3_0_5 said:
I have used the stock rubber sucky antenna on the tx and still can get to 3000 ft without a problem
You would need to upgrade your wifi antenna or keep the 9 dbi panel you have and add a pinwheel to the pv2

Ok so if I continue to use the 9dbi panel and I want to achieve longer FPV, then I need to add a pinwheel to the PV2 which would be the camera mod.

&

If I don't want to use the 9dbi panel then I need to upgrade my WiFi ant which would be the 2.4ghz LHCP Parasitic disk helix for $84.00 which Fpvlr states needs to be flown sideways which if that is the case, I don't care to do that. I might as well just make the camera mod.

So if I don't need to upgrade my tx ant, I am stuck on which stand alone ant to get for the wifi and not add anything else.

I apologize that I have hijacked the end of this thread with my questions fellas :oops:

mmotown said:
mr_3_0_5 said:

Ok so if I continue to use the 9dbi panel and I want to achieve longer FPV, then I need to add a pinwheel to the PV2 which would be the camera mod.

&

If I don't want to use the 9dbi panel then I need to upgrade my WiFi ant which would be the 2.4ghz LHCP Parasitic disk helix for $84.00 which Fpvlr states needs to be flown sideways which if that is the case, I don't care to do that. I might as well just make the camera mod.

So if I don't need to upgrade my tx ant, I am stuck on which stand alone ant to get for the wifi and not add anything else.

I apologize that I have hijacked the end of this thread with my questions fellas :oops:

If you don't want to mod the camera I'd get the same antenna I'm using
2.4g LHCP helical from fpvlr I have tested it several times and it's consistent with 3000 or more ft
Keep in mind your distance may vary but it has done so consistently for me

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94