Antenna type and distance achieved

FPVLR said:
Mori55 said:
Fpvlr, I appreciate your help, but your website needs to have a categories just for the phantom.
I read your advice about what to use but I go to your site and it's confusing for someone who's not a antenna guru.
I just want to see a package with instructions for my phantom. I like your idea of a small unit in white.
Also a couple of your buttons don't do anything on your site, unless it's me.
Any idea when your going to be offering this ?

That is a good idea, I could offer the full kit including the connectors you mean?
That would be quite expensive.

If I were to mod this for max distance I would use :

1 pinwheel 2.4 on the P2V camera LHCP
http://www.fpvlr.com/store/dettaglio_ar ... rticolo=28

1 pinwheel 5.8 on the Rc Rx of the P2V RHCP
http://www.fpvlr.com/store/dettaglio_ar ... rticolo=12

1 6.5 turns helix 2.4 on wi-fi extender LHCP (plus an omni whip on the other port)
http://www.fpvlr.com/store/dettaglio_ar ... rticolo=29

1 4.25 turns helix 5.8 on the rc transmitter Rhcp.
http://www.fpvlr.com/store/dettaglio_ar ... rticolo=22

Now these will give you very very good distance. According to how far these go, then we can think of taming them down,
using lower gain and smaller form factor antennas to create the all in one unit.

I personally am a fan of using adequate power and just enough gain so the max distance is achieved. That's why a mini amp is something I would try on the p2v, more power means we can get away with much wider beamwidth, and who knows, maybe even just omni-directional antennas.

So I will work with a tester who has the P2V here in Florida to try these solutions.
There is no point in having 7km range if all you can fly is 4km, so these things will have to be evaluated and correctly sized to have best beamwidth and max distance.

That would take care of control and video.

hello tony, i live by palmetto close to i95. i agree with mory55 you should make a kit, maybe 3, one with long distance antennas for video 2.4 ghz, another one for the remote 5.8 ghz and maybe one more whit the small factor antenna the one i bought 2.4 GHz LHCP Parasitic disk helix, and just if you can, remove the option to select Frequency (Mhz), for example in my case i don't know much about that and just want something that works great and get me long distance, and since those kit will be made just for the vision i think that frequency will be standard right? (maybe i wrong, sorry haha).

That is a good idea, I could offer the full kit including the connectors you mean?
That would be quite expensive.

If I were to mod this for max distance I would use :

1 pinwheel 2.4 on the P2V camera LHCP
http://www.fpvlr.com/store/dettaglio_ar ... rticolo=28

1 pinwheel 5.8 on the Rc Rx of the P2V RHCP
http://www.fpvlr.com/store/dettaglio_ar ... rticolo=12

1 6.5 turns helix 2.4 on wi-fi extender LHCP (plus an omni whip on the other port)
http://www.fpvlr.com/store/dettaglio_ar ... rticolo=29

1 4.25 turns helix 5.8 on the rc transmitter Rhcp.
http://www.fpvlr.com/store/dettaglio_ar ... rticolo=22

Now these will give you very very good distance. According to how far these go, then we can think of taming them down,
using lower gain and smaller form factor antennas to create the all in one unit.

I personally am a fan of using adequate power and just enough gain so the max distance is achieved. That's why a mini amp is something I would try on the p2v, more power means we can get away with much wider beamwidth, and who knows, maybe even just omni-directional antennas.

So I will work with a tester who has the P2V here in Florida to try these solutions.
There is no point in having 7km range if all you can fly is 4km, so these things will have to be evaluated and correctly sized to have best beamwidth and max distance.

That would take care of control and video.[/quote]

hello tony, i live by palmetto close to i95. i agree with mory55 you should make a kit, maybe 3, one with long distance antennas for video 2.4 ghz, another one for the remote 5.8 ghz and maybe one more whit the small factor antenna the one i bought 2.4 GHz LHCP Parasitic disk helix, and just if you can, remove the option to select Frequency (Mhz), for example in my case i don't know much about that and just want something that works great and get me long distance, and since those kit will be made just for the vision i think that frequency will be standard right? (maybe i wrong, sorry haha).[/quote]

Yes, that frequency box is only for people who request a specific center frequency, as an example 2.4 video transmitters can operate at 2370MHz and many channels in between up to 2510MHz.
Since these antennas have about 100-150MHz bandwidth, if I make them for 2450 center frequency they cover pretty much all the "in between" frequencies.

For some hardcore customers it's important to specify the center frequency, so if they enter 2370, they cannot expect the antenna to work well at 2510, as the swr will be around 2:1 at that frequency (which is still usable but not optimal).

Of course they will have a 2370 center frequency with SWR about 1.1:1 and their trasmitter will be running very efficienty at that frequency. For wi-fi, selecting 2450 will be the best you can do.[/quote]

mmmm :? i'm lost haha , all i know is i put this numbers in that box 2412-2462MHz, specs from the web of the P2V so is that good ? if you think it can be better please just do it, you are the expert here :D. link to tech specs F2V http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2-vision/spec
thank you Tony

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-08 at 10.52.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-08 at 10.52.05 AM.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 311
I for one would like something better than stock , but not for real long distance.
And something I don't have to point right at it. I think their would be a lot of interest in this.
A lot of us don't want to hack up their equipment , or add a lot of stuff hanging off the radio.
Maybe different kits for different distances with pics of the setup and instructions.
Something for everyone.

Mori55 said:
I for one would like something better than stock , but not for real long distance.
And something I don't have to point right at it. I think their would be a lot of interest in this.
A lot of us don't want to hack up their equipment , or add a lot of stuff hanging off the radio.
Maybe different kits for different distances with pics of the setup and instructions.
Something for everyone.

exactly!

FPVLR said:
Mori55 said:
Sorry fOr my ignorance , but what's that.

half dome is not yet on the website, but it will be soon.
You can use a parasitic helix instead for small form factor.

Here is a LHCP set I am sending to a Phantom Pilot in Hong Kong...
Kinda funny after buying so much stuff from HK, being able to actually ship my antennas there.

that looks sweet. whats the huge deal in the center. are they both for 2.4?

Skipholiday said:
FPVLR said:
Mori55 said:
Sorry fOr my ignorance , but what's that.

half dome is not yet on the website, but it will be soon.
You can use a parasitic helix instead for small form factor.

Here is a LHCP set I am sending to a Phantom Pilot in Hong Kong...
Kinda funny after buying so much stuff from HK, being able to actually ship my antennas there.

that looks sweet. whats the huge deal in the center. are they both for 2.4?
Another question: should we use both antenna connection in the eXtender? Or is the one enough?
Originally it was thought that one would be plenty since the only the strong signal would be used.
After reading your post it seems we should use both.

Stepping in this thread a bit late. I use homebrew LHCP helical flying stock P2V aircraft >2KM in open field.

But when I fly passed other 2.4G RC (Futaba, JR, etc.) flyers even within 200 meters from my ground station during take-off and landing (probably 50 meters away from those 2.4G transmitters), P2V video may drop out on-and-off. Unlike conventional FPV, Vision camera is a Wifi AP sending/receiving signal to form a bidirectional TCP/IP network, which also receive signal (interference) from other 2.4G transmitters.

I'm about to hack into the Vision camera and change the camera Wifi channel (frequency) and some other configurations. Hope this can minimize the interference from other 2.4G protocols (such as Futaba FASST) as well as other busy Wifi channels. I experienced this mod in flying my AR.Drone (also a Wifi FPV system), and it works pretty well.

FPVLR said:
Well, having a built-in diversity setup can really help.
You can use one port with a directional antenna with moderate directivity, 9-12 dBi will be good.
Then we can use the other port with an omnidirectional antenna of LOW gain, the lower the better, in order to give us good coverage at higher take-off angles when the craft is close in.

On the phantom the same trick can be used but the 2 antennas can be installed 90° to each other in order to cover the null that is right above and under the omni antennas, one antenna will cover the nulls of the other.
Out comes the drill again. :-/

thanks for all the help

How much does the setup in the picture cost and would need something similar for the 5g control side as well correct?

I think some of my problem is all the techno jargon , helical, diversity, half moon, lchp etc. some of us don't have a clue what you guys are talking about. High gains low gains , no idea what your talking about.
For some of we need KISS principal !

Hello, people...first sorry about my ignorance...

i have a phantom 2 vision that on 150m starts to say ...lost contact...150m altitude...what is the better mod to take more meters on altitude?
can you help me?
i see many options...

FPVLR said:
Yes you have the right idea,
installing some CP antennas on the camera wi-fi will cut about 3dbm on the noise the transceiver will "hear", that way making your data link stronger.

The stock antenna in the camera is LHCP microstrip patch. Why "installing some CP antennas on the camera wi-fi will cut about 3dbm on the noise"?

FPVLR said:
PVFlyer said:
FPVLR said:
Yes you have the right idea,
installing some CP antennas on the camera wi-fi will cut about 3dbm on the noise the transceiver will "hear", that way making your data link stronger.

The stock antenna in the camera is LHCP microstrip patch. Why "installing some CP antennas on the camera wi-fi will cut about 3dbm on the noise"?

because those patches are not oly LHCP, they have some LHCP componente and also a Linear component.

A pinwheel or 2 pinwheels on the camera will give you much better LHCP as well as provide a more uniform radiation, and more efficiency.

Let's not forget antennas work better the bigger they are, the more volume they have the better they work, efficiency wise.

Thanks for the information about linear component on LHCP patch. I also know some RHCP component on such LHCP patch.

I agree putting cloverleaf or skew planar wheel on the camera for better RF radiation. I plan to do the pigtail mod on the camera in order to change various antennas.

FPVLR said:
Skipholiday said:
FPVLR said:
content edited.
I don't understand?

it seems that the site administrator has punished me, after the little discussion we had.
Now my website links and FPVLR name is not searchable any longer, unless I retype it.

I find it unfair, as customers have posted links to the products, I didn't come here to do publicity.

Now I get punished so my store on this website was more visibile and "findable" before I joined the forums than it is now.

:(
this is not good! we had a discussion and we solved any and all differences we had as far as I'm concerned.
You are an asset to this community. Who is the administrator?

Maybe Pull_Up can assist us.

Pull_Up said:
The site-owner is Adam, you'll see his name in red against every forum section. You can PM him like anyone else. As far as I am aware there are no other moderators or administrators, it's all his show...
Thank you Pull_Up. I sent him a message

FPVLR said:
Skipholiday said:
FPVLR said:
content edited.
I don't understand?

it seems that the site administrator has punished me, after the little discussion we had.
Now my website links and FPVLR name is not searchable any longer, unless I retype it.

I find it unfair, as customers have posted links to the products, I didn't come here to do publicity.

Now I get punished so my store on this website was more visibile and "findable" before I joined the forums than it is now.

:(

That seems like ******** to me
So what was removed?

FPVLR said:
Yes, to me any differences have been solved in private as gentlemen. Do not worry. It's all good.

Maybe he does not like me for some reason, who knows?

The most important thing is to have fixed any misunderstanding.
I sent a private message to Adam. And for what its worth.
I linked a couple of local friends to you/your site for antennas. One flys a large plane of some type.
(Planes go to far to fast for me) he stated his range is good compared to others but he has no RTH so a better antenna setup or some redundancy would be good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4