Antenna type and distance achieved

Just did my first flight with my PV2+ pretty happy with the range on first flight.

5eba8y6a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

FPVLR said:
Ok to prove if the internal connectors from u.Fl to rp-sma rob so much power, I have ordered 4 pcs U-FL with rg-178, which is lower loss compared to the thinner wires. I will make a couple of half dome antennas, with this cable that has a u.fl connector, so the adapters won't be needed.
This way we can see the difference, with and without the internal cable adapter.

I would be surprised if we really see more than 1db power improvement.

Hi tony

Any results on the rg178 yet? I recently had to mod an amp from 178 to thin wire and could measure quite a loss at 5.8 ghz. Interested to see your results

I recently tested several that came from ebay... The biggest problem were that some were poorly made -- with up to 10dB loss. Some of them were poor crimps I think, but poor quality ufls were also evident on some.

gpauk said:
I recently tested several that came from ebay... The biggest problem were that some were poorly made -- with up to 10dB loss. Some of them were poor crimps I think, but poor quality ufls were also evident on some.

Thanks for that gpauk. I'm up at 4.25 km now only limiting factor is now the battery. I just hate wasting the signal through poor cables which I suspect the skinny wires are loosing especially on the longer ones and especially post any amplification. If tony had tested then this could back up what I think I'm seeing. By the way in my opinion the repeater is definitely mimo. I posted my latest set up on the more powerful repeater thread.

Highcloud said:
gpauk said:

Thanks for that gpauk. I'm up at 4.25 km now only limiting factor is now the battery. I just hate wasting the signal through poor cables which I suspect the skinny wires are loosing especially on the longer ones and especially post any amplification. If tony had tested then this could back up what I think I'm seeing. By the way in my opinion the repeater is definitely mimo. I posted my latest set up on the more powerful repeater thread.

I think with a fair amount of certainty the WiFi range extender is diversity and not mimo. The WiFi camera may be mimo on the other hand but people are still getting the longest reported ranges using only a single antenna upgrade on either end.

The explanation for you seeing any better range using one vs two of the same upgraded antenna on the range extender is the improved view of the sky. High gain antennas need to be pointed very accurately to maintain adequate signal at long range and using a dual setup you have double the amount of sky your antennas are scanning, reducing the chance of loosing an optimal signal and with that get longer range. The range extender will still only be working off of which ever of the two antennas have the strongest signal.

Anyway just my two cents.

I think I get it , the pic shows a 3 antenna set up example, from reading the Wikipedia would this be the diversity coding the phantom employs?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 380
I have another question, When the tx control is lost and RTH kicks in ,why does the distance on the app show N/a but altitude and distance remain ? Or it did on mine

FlyingFox said:
I think I get it , the pic shows a 3 antenna set up example, from reading the Wikipedia would this be the diversity coding the phantom employs?

When multiple antennas "talk" to multiple antennas, then this is MIMO not diversity. The data is shared between the amount of channels available. For example on PV, there are 2 antennas, so using both in theory would half the data in each channel and hence doubole the range. In reality it is not that simple and nothing is 100% effecient, but I found a near doubling of range by using 2 anttenas compared to one. If it were a diversity set up, then provided that I pointed the antennas in the same direction there would be no significant gain between one or two antennas.

Just my findings.

Highcloud said:
FlyingFox said:

When multiple antennas "talk" to multiple antennas, then this is MIMO not diversity. The data is shared between the amount of channels available. For example on PV, there are 2 antennas, so using both in theory would half the data in each channel and hence doubole the range. In reality it is not that simple and nothing is 100% effecient, but I found a near doubling of range by using 2 anttenas compared to one. If it were a diversity set up, then provided that I pointed the antennas in the same direction there would be no significant gain between one or two antennas.

Just my findings.

The phantom range extender operates on a single channel not multi

BenDronePilot said:
Highcloud said:
FlyingFox said:

Just my findings.

Hi bendrone How do you know ? I am keen to understand your reasoning

BenDronePilot said:

I believe both aircraft and repeater are with MIMO. Both antennas on the aircraft and repeater are sending/receiving data (video and camera control) all the way to/from aircraft, repeater and mobile device.

However, if your mobile device does not have MIMO, then the last few inches journey is not MIMO.

Hi.
This might be a stupid question, but anyway..
I have modified my extender (Phantom 2 vision) with a TP-Link 5dBi Omni-directional antenna.
TL-ANT2408CL.jpg

But, in what position should the antenna point? Vertical or horizontal?
Why I ask is because I have seen people use both way in YouTube videos.

I also got the same question for the RC-antenna, what direction should it be at for max performance?

Thanks.

Towards your forehead if the phantom is in front of you,the weakest point is from the tip , it's a lateral type

FlyingFox said:
Towards your forehead if the phantom is in front of you,the weakest point is from the tip , it's a lateral type

FPVLR said:
with a 2.5 w amplifier, not just antennas... just saying... when you get to 6km, then we are talking

I cannot see a way to do a round trip of 12 km on one battery. The most i can squeeze is 9 km with the battery coming back in single digits. I'm thinking of doing a land away to prove the wifi and control distance and eliminate "low battery sweat"

PVFlyer said:
BenDronePilot said:

I believe both aircraft and repeater are with MIMO. Both antennas on the aircraft and repeater are sending/receiving data (video and camera control) all the way to/from aircraft, repeater and mobile device.

However, if your mobile device does not have MIMO, then the last few inches journey is not MIMO.

The vision plus may have mimo but definately not the regular vision, at least not on the WiFi repeater side.

Highcloud said:
FPVLR said:
with a 2.5 w amplifier, not just antennas... just saying... when you get to 6km, then we are talking

I cannot see a way to do a round trip of 12 km on one battery. The most i can squeeze is 9 km with the battery coming back in single digits. I'm thinking of doing a land away to prove the wifi and control distance and eliminate "low battery sweat"

If you plan to emergency land a distance away from yourself I think it would be a good idea to reset your home location while in the air and hovering over a safe location you can identify. Then shut off your tx and allow it to safely land and shut off its rotors.

I dont think its possible otherwise to do a controlled landing at distamce as yoi will probably loose your wifi connection as you near the ground.

Doing a forced landing on the other hand as a result of low battery will keep the motors running even when on the ground and may possibly result in a flip over so I going with resetting home location is probably safest bet.

BenDronePilot said:
Highcloud said:
FPVLR said:

If you plan to emergency land a distance away from yourself I think it would be a good idea to reset your home location while in the air and hovering over a safe location you can identify. Then shut off your tx and allow it to safely land and shut off its rotors.

I dont think its possible otherwise to do a controlled landing at distamce as yoi will probably loose your wifi connection as you near the ground.

Doing a forced landing on the other hand as a result of low battery will keep the motors running even when on the ground and may possibly result in a flip over so I going with resetting home location is probably safest bet.

Good idea.i planned to have a spotter on the phone at the land away site to guide me In as well. Just need to find the right site now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues