Antenna jungle - inventory - What's out there?

Got it, thank you. They'll be here by the end of the week. So, are you still using yours and have they remained reliable or have you switched to a different amp/amp+injector?

Reactions: cstout
@IBV have you used any DataAlliance omni's? The price is definitely favorable in comparison to the L-Coms.
I think so. Not sure now but I prefer 9 dB over 12 or 14dbi. The reason is that the vertical angle of the 9db is wider and thus easier to handle in case the car isn't leveled or flying closer. L-com antennas are no better but more expensive.

I would hesitate to use an unregulated power supply, particularly if the engine were running. Alternators can have voltage spikes, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, however modern cars should provide proper regulated 12V DC. I use a capacitor as fast acting buffer/ equalizer. 15V DC doesn't harm the amps.

I agree, however modern cars should provide proper regulated 12V DC. I use a capacitor as fast acting buffer/ equalizer. 15V DC doesn't harm the amps.

Good to know they can handle 15V. Some vehicles, such as my Suburban, have a variable computer controlled charging system so I can get voltage swings from 11.5-15v. The battery should buffer the system some, but by using a regulated DC-DC power supply I ensure there's no alternator generated line noise being introduced. I'm sure the LTXs have some filtering but at $50 a dedicated power supply like the M3 - ATX is cheap insurance in my book.

@jhax01 Do I have your stamp of approval? I went with the drill approach. First attempt (left) I hit the pin but not enough to damage it. Second attempt (right) was dead center and I was able to push the thin layer of aluminum out without hitting the pin at all. Below that is the small square cut outs in the gel and the scraped board where the resistor line is. How's it look?

OEvOlqN.jpg

VFj74U7.jpg

@jhax01 Do I have your stamp of approval? I went with the drill approach. First attempt (left) I hit the pin but not enough to damage it. Second attempt (right) was dead center and I was able to push the thin layer of aluminum out without hitting the pin at all. Below that is the small square cut outs in the gel and the scraped board where the resistor line is. How's it look?

OEvOlqN.jpg

VFj74U7.jpg

That's exactly how I did it, looks good to me! I think you'll be pleased with them.

1kxLaez.jpg

So, I briefly sketched out my three options for using this setup in the car. I'm not looking to a do a permanent install because I'd like to transfer it between vehicles. I think for the sake of simplicity (and cost) I'm going to go with Option 3. Option 1 isn't really an option...it's just what I have currently and with the short cable lengths it would be awkward to set up and even more awkward to use.

Option 2 is cool but with the cold and hot days I'd like to keep the 12v battery in the car for its health. I also suspect since it's a short run (6-10 feet) of higher quality LMR-400 the loss between option 2 and 3 would be unnoticeable.

Am I overthinking it or does this look like a good way to go?

Option 2 is even cooler in person. One of two antennas arrived today...

aViqKdw.jpg

Ok, there are two benefits which pushed me to choose option 2.
1. Direct connection to antenna from amp
2. Easy to mount amp to a small piece of wood with a screw-in magnet foot.

Now, waiting on more shipping...

Only differences... The ability to measure with injectors. Agreed #2 = less loss. Be nice to go #2 but have a good rf meter to test with. I'm learning more and more the importance in the ability to measure. Just like Gram discovered a weak amp...

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

@Johnny Bellew Yes, #2 sweet talked me and MPD Digital on Amazon offered an easy exchange for my 3' lmr-195 to 10' lmr-400. The dc jack extension was $12 for two so that's hard to beat.

Yeah, I'm going to war with trees and urban wifi interference! Thanks to all involved here for the tips, guides, and recommendations!

Reactions: JohnnyB
Cables to mod my radio should be delivered today so hopefully I'll be able to test out the amps and l-coms tomorrow! Found a better set of cables for the DBS as well - https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00Y...F8&qid=1474143489&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65

Also ordered a pair of these for the radio side - https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00Y...F8&qid=1474143674&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65

Wish I would have searched harder to begin with so I didn't waste $$. At least the other cables I've bought were cheaper.

I have the perfect spot picked to test. I consistently get 2800 ft there due to trees. The antenna mods will be worth it to fly from my car regardless, but it would be nice to get a little extra range too.

Hey jhax01, at 1 foot, what is the fit/how flexible is this RG400 jump cable with the DBS antenna? When you can, please share a pic of what it looks like? Thanks.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: hotashes
Hey jhax01, at 1 foot, what is the fit/how flexible is this RG400 jump cable with the DBS antenna? When you can, please share a pic of what it looks like? Thanks.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

It's about a quarter of an inch thick maybe, stiff but still fairly flexible. I use a 3 foot section to connect to the injectors in my Suburban. I'm headed across the pond so I won't be able to take a pic until next week tho, sorry.

Reactions: ebi718
It's about a quarter of an inch thick maybe, stiff but still fairly flexible. I use a 3 foot section to connect to the injectors in my Suburban. I'm headed across the pond so I won't be able to take a pic until next week tho, sorry.

U.K.?

U.K. London Side pushing the Phantom 4. Peace

Yep! Wish I had some time to myself, I would have brought the P4. :-(

Any chance you can come help me fix up my antenna ha ha. Oh and mod the amps lol

U.K. London Side pushing the Phantom 4. Peace

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart