..another Crack under motor

Reaction score
I couldn't believe it...after the shell was replaced from Dji and plast aid used to reinforce the arms as preventive measure a first Crack appeared and I had concluded that this was due to an inaccurate use of plast aid in that specific spot...then the shell was openend again and plast aid was put to ensure a complete fill of all spots...after only 1 flight today I have found another Crack between the two screws of another motor...really frustrating

4f4ac1ded257c49e0f4592374b887d21.jpg

65a5ea004b4c733fb94504b9d458a790.jpg

This is why I advise to get the metal plates and fit BEFORE cracks appear or straight after repairs.

For just about $5 - a set of plates is not a perfect cure - but it certainly adds significant life time to the motor mount areas.

Nigel

.ironically I've purchased the plates on Amazon but it took like 1 month to receive them and I haven't fitted them yet...

In all cases the plastic of our toys are really rubbish...and what strikes is that DJI did not take action whatsoever as the shell they sent me started cracking after 1 or 2 flights only. ...

I wander if there's a strategy behind all this...like they try to.push users to get new models or so...

I wander if there's a strategy behind all this...like they try to.push users to get new models or so...

No they just committed an error in design.

Nigel

This is why I advise to get the metal plates and fit BEFORE cracks appear or straight after repairs.

For just about $5 - a set of plates is not a perfect cure - but it certainly adds significant life time to the motor mount areas.

Nigel
I have to agree with you... I have metal plates and not a single crack yet.

LOL- hardly long enough to know if your unlucky enough to have a shell that will crack.

How could you see them with the plates on anyway?
Usually the hairline cracks are long enough that you can see it even with the plates on. I also hear that if you lose the strength on the screws will also avoid the shell to crack. Not sure if it's true or false.

I also hear that if you lose the strength on the screws will also avoid the shell to crack. Not sure if it's true or false.
Yes, it does work. The cause of the cracks is due to the over-tighten of the screws at factory. Losen the screws and then hand tighten them firmly and gentlely. Do NOT over-tighten them again.

Reactions: Loz
Yes, it does work. The cause of the cracks is due to the over-tighten of the screws at factory. Losen the screws and then hand tighten them firmly and gentlely. Do NOT over-tighten them again.

It is a theory of some but not everyone.

I know many posts and theory's that speak of weak plastic due to narrowing of the leg out at the end and then thinning of plastic under the motors.

I personally do not follow one single road on this. I think a combination is at fault with main one being DJI design creating a stress area under the motors. And I would never blame ONE item as cause. I would consider all facts and observations to arrive at a general possibility. (Its what my job entails actually - supervising millions of tons of fuel for Military and Civilian markets etc..... it teaches there is never a single cause. I have to evaluate all information / facts at hand and arrive at solutions).

Problem with todays modern world is the reliance on Plastics. How many articles do you buy now that plastic fittings and mounts from brooms through to RC models. Even the use of Engineering Plastic is no g'tee of serviceability.

Nigel

Reactions: babaco
IMO, the cause the crack is due to vibration from the motor, and over tightening of the screws on a too rigid/fragile plastic base. So loosen the screws will work. At least mine are still in good shape.

I don't believe it ... so you agree with my more than one reason opinion !! I gotta sit down and have a beer on that !!

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl