Fishing Line found wrapped around my left rear propeller and motor

Reaction score
I was flying at my favorite spot by the lake this afternoon. On my second flight, I switched to sports mode, and flew at 26 feet high (according to DJI's log) flying parallel to a point that some fisherman were on. According to the KML file I exported from airdata.com (Healthy Drones), I was about 75 feet horizontally from the shore line. I was just glancing down to my screen, when out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw my P4P buck, followed by a crack. I stopped, looked at the P4P just hovering there, looked at my screen for any warnings, then flew it back and hovered near myself while checking out all my controls. Everything responded normally, and I just figured I must have heard a crack from one of the boats in the area hitting someone else's wake or something. So, I flew another 17 minutes or so... and brought it home. I normally wipe off any bug splatter before putting it away, but this time I noticed some fishing line wrapped over the hub of the left rear propeller and wound tightly between the prop and motor itself. In fact most of the fishing line appeared to have melted together.

When I got home, I was able to cut away the line and free the prop. I won't use the prop again though it doesn't look damaged... the motor and spindle assembly and spring seem fine. There are lacerations to the plastic arm around the motor mount, which I wonder could be potential structure issue?

Not sure if I should send this to DJI to get an evaluation on the motor and perhaps another shell... or just fill in the lacerations with some kind of superglue-baking soda fix? Not sure how to test the motor to make sure it's not potentially failing internally...

Anyway, this could have been a really bad day for me. I'm a little freaked out that I somehow got into someone's fishing line so high and far away; but very thankful that my P4P isn't currently at the bottom of a rather murky Texas lake.

437fd2ea8663e29e62fe092ab329820d.jpg
077c34d0af2e4792f831aa57fe1b3910.jpg
1f555a31824bdb48a3cdb56815d1c6f8.jpg

Last edited:
That's the first thing I looked for. I normally start recording right after checking all my control responses and before flying off... but this time I didn't start recording till after I had returned for a quick hover inspection. I thought I was out of casting range but obviously not--I was at least 75 feet away horizontally too and was still accelerating and reached 41mph before I got tagged. I also had a 14mph tail wind. The motor that got tangled was on the opposite side from the fisherman which seems strange to me. Unfortunately I have no video of the event. The log shows the P4P yawning violently first to the left and then right four times. The compass sensor on airdata.com also shows up as around 30-40 degrees yaw per 0.1 second four times in about a second.

Last edited:
You were very lucky on this one for sure. Fishing line is very bad for high speed, rotating parts. I'm surprised it didn't overload that motor while in flight.

I've had fishing line show up on a real helicopter after a flight and some of the damage was quiet bad, especially if it starts cutting into important things.

Glad to hear you survived this one.

AD

Reactions: skyeboysteve
Is there a lo-res video cached on device?
I forgot all about video cache; and just looked for the first time--surprised there's still low-rez video cached from my first P4P flight. However, (and unless I'm looking at a different cache); it seems like it's only cached video that I was specifically recording--not a live cache of everything transmitted by the camera... so can't find any video there (unfortunately). Just shows video starting about 3 minutes after the incident--which I have in full 4K on my HD anyway.

I was flying at my favorite spot by the lake this afternoon. On my second flight, I switched to sports mode, and flew at 26 feet high (according to DJI's log) flying parallel to a point that some fisherman were on. According the the KML file I exported from airdata.com (Healthy Drones), I was about 75 feet horizontally from the shore line. I was just glancing down to my screen, when out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw my P4P buck, followed by a crack. I stopped, looked at the P4P just hovering there, looked at my screen for any warnings, then flew it back and hovered near myself while checking out all my controls. Everything responded normally, and I just figured I must have heard a crack from one of the boats in the area hitting someone else's wake or something. So, I flew another 17 minutes or so... and brought it home. I normally wipe off any bug splatter before putting it away, but this time I noticed some fishing line wrapped over the hub of the left rear propeller and wound tightly between the prop and motor itself. In fact most of the fishing line appeared to have melted together.

When I got home, I was able to cut away the line and free the prop. I won't use the prop again though it doesn't look damaged... the motor and spindle assembly and spring seem fine. There are lacerations to the plastic arm around the motor mount, which I wonder could be potential structure issue?

Not sure if I should send this to DJI to get an evaluation on the motor and perhaps another shell... or just fill in the lacerations with some kind of superglue-baking soda fix? Not sure how to test the motor to make sure it's not potentially failing internally...

Anyway, this could have been a really bad day for me. I'm a little freaked out that I somehow got into someone's fishing line so high and far away; but very thankful that my P4P isn't currently at the bottom of a rather murky Texas lake.

437fd2ea8663e29e62fe092ab329820d.jpg
077c34d0af2e4792f831aa57fe1b3910.jpg
1f555a31824bdb48a3cdb56815d1c6f8.jpg
Yip lucky go buy lottery ticket:)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members