ALTITUDE LIMITATIONS P4

Reaction score
Questions regarding altitude limits

1.) We often have projects with elevations that can be as high as 5000' MSL. Provided we are clear of restricted airspace, will we still be able to launch the P4 and reach 400' AGL from that elevation?

2.) Due to terrain differentials that can approximate 1500', we would launch from the highest project MSL elev. But then would need to descend below the launch elev to video/photograph the lower project elevations Can the P4 descend below its takeoff elev? Descent limits?

Counsel appreciated

Dolphin Dancer

I fly a P3A, but I would bet that performance on the P4 is similar. 5000' msl should be well below the service ceiling (maximum altitude where the bird can still generate enough lift to fly). Altitude measured by the bird is always relative to the takeoff point. So taking off from a point at 5000' msl and climbing an additional 400 ft (top 5400' msl) is still only 400 ' according to the onboard altimeter.
For #2, again altitudes are still relative to takeoff and the bird recognizes heights below takeoff as well as above.

I have taken off from a cliff out in southern Utah and went down maybe 2-300ft lower than my takeoff point and had no issue at all. I don't remember what my altitude readings were saying though tbo.

1.) We often have projects with elevations that can be as high as 5000' MSL. Provided we are clear of restricted airspace, will we still be able to launch the P4 and reach 400' AGL from that elevation?
2.) Due to terrain differentials that can approximate 1500', we would launch from the highest project MSL elev. But then would need to descend below the launch elev to video/photograph the lower project elevations Can the P4 descend below its takeoff elev? Descent limits?
1. Yes
2. Yes
No problem at all. These are quite normal flight operations.
The Phantom doesn't care about your height above sea level and can operate as high as 6000 metres ASL.
All heights are relevant to launch point and whether the Phantom's altitude is positive or negative makes no difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan