Altitude limit: how can I do this?

Not necessarily. I disagree. What does it take for evil to prevail?.

So, now DJI is "evil"... seriously?... seems a bit of an overreach... what they are is a private business and they made a business and firmware design decision that you disagree with.... that's not evil... it's just a poor business decision by your measure but a good one by theirs... for whatever their reasoning was...

I don't appreciate that they've imposed seemingly stupid restrictions either but I also know that complaining about it here serves no purpose other than for you to get worked up when others disagree with your opinion that they have no business making decisions like this that impose restrictions on your ability to do whatever you darn well please with their product that you purchased.... and then you wanna shout them down when they do what you are doing: expressing an opinion...

Since this is not the DJI Customer Care and Product Complaint Department forum, it just seems to me that you are not serious about getting them to change because you aren't speaking to them directly or with your wallet... sure, you're "warning others" from buying a product from the evil DJI empire... but that's about it...

While we may not agree with their business decisions in all cases, we certainly agreed enough to buy one of their products... and another 1,000,000+ will be sold this holiday season so they must be doing something right... until you can sufficiently impact their bottom line or draw the right kind of scrutiny and pressure, nothing will change.

The 3DR guys are trying (many came from DJI early stages and were treated poorly there) but they aren't there yet... but they may too become "evil" when they impose some restrictions and bow to government or venture funding pressures to ensure market gain...

Reactions: Meta4
They will all have to succumb to implementing whatever the FAA Rules eventually become. They won't have a choice, if they wish to continue to sell their drones here in the U.S.

So, now DJI is "evil"... seriously?... seems a bit of an overreach... what they are is a private business and they made a business and firmware design decision that you disagree with.... that's not evil... it's just a poor business decision by your measure but a good one by theirs... for whatever their reasoning was...
do I think they are an evil empire? No. Poor decisions yes. We will see in the future. As you didn't get the understanding of my quote, evil prevails ,.....when? When good men do nothing. 8f I was to take every word as literal meaning, based off of your avitar, I'd think your nothing but a clown.

I don't appreciate that they've imposed seemingly stupid restrictions either but I also know that complaining about it here serves no purpose other than for you to get worked up when others disagree with your opinion that they have no business making decisions like this that impose restrictions on your ability to do whatever you darn well please with their product that you purchased.... and then you wanna shout them down when they do what you are doing: expressing an opinion....
honestly, I'm far from being worked up. I'm actually pretty cool about it. But if you touch a hot stove do you just stand back and watch as others burn their hands? Or warn them?

Since this is not the DJI Customer Care and Product Complaint Department forum, it just seems to me that you are not serious about getting them to change because you aren't speaking to them directly or with your wallet... sure, you're "warning others" from buying a product from the evil DJI empire... but that's about it....
....see this is where you use assumptions. I Do have emails into DJI, I have been ...as you said you don't like it, have you addressed your own log? Should I assume you have done nothing?

While we may not agree with their business decisions in all cases, we certainly agreed enough to buy one of their products... and another 1,000,000+ will be sold this holiday season so they must be doing something right... until you can sufficiently impact their bottom line or draw the right kind of scrutiny and pressure, nothing will change.
Microsoft continued to sell PCS for yrs and still do. And 1 of the reasons they are hurting now is because they tried to be overbearing on how theythought things should be and people wanted options which Apple back then gave people. Is Microsoft still around? Yes. But so is Apple who continues to put a hurting on Microsoft. Is Apple now a force to be recond with?

The 3DR guys are trying (many came from DJI early stages and were treated poorly there) but they aren't there yet... but they may too become "evil" when they impose some restrictions and bow to government or venture funding pressures to ensure market gain...
yes, I researched 3dr for a long time. Will they cave in when there's not even pressure yet? Not sure. They fell short by lack of gimbal and not being able to compete with lightbridge and it's distance.

This is a DJI's product, they set the limit. If they want to hardwire the altitude limit to even 100m, that's their choice. We can either just mention our opinion or we don't have to buy it. At the end, DJI makes the final decision and we can't do anything more.
Actually once it's purchased it becomes our product that we have the choice to upgrade or not. They are NOT supposed to force people to upgrade. They would rather keep it silenced to get conformity. I purchased a product for the same price as everyone else many can go 2000m, but because they were silence about that, many not knowing upgraded.

As you didn't get the understanding of my quote, evil prevails ,.....when? When good men do nothing.

You assume I didn't understand the reference... your assumption is incorrect... just seemed more appropriate when discussing Satan, Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Vlad the Impaler... you know, REAL evil... but not DJI... hence my opinion that it was an overreach... but thanks for trying to educate me...

Yes, I am literally a clown, thanks for noticing... doesn't mean I'm an uneducated clown...

DJI (and other companies) have been in talks with the FAA about what restrictions will be put in place. I think it's very likely that there was a concession made at some point where DJI (who has 1/2 the market of sales) agreed to include the limit for some consideration in that area. I think it's also likely that this helps limit DJI's liability in the matter.

I understand that some people don't like this limit and that some people disagree that it should be done at all. As I've said, I don't agree or disagree with the limit. I'm just staying why I think it was put into place. That is the post I responded to. I also pointed out that rules and restrictions are made all of the time as a proactive measure.
Bingo! I've been hammering on this for the last 10 days.
Somebody else finally gets it! I feel better now. :D

You assume I didn't understand the reference... your assumption is incorrect... just seemed more appropriate when discussing Satan, Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Vlad the Impaler... you know, REAL evil... but not DJI... hence my opinion that it was an overreach...
Why is it an overreach when Microsoft, Apple, Sony are considered Evil companies for implimenting restrictions daily.........

Sorry Op, back to your question. Only way right now is a P3 with 1.3 or older software and the older version of Litchi. At least till a hack or workaround is done.

Actually once it's purchased it becomes our product that we have the choice to upgrade or not. They are NOT supposed to force people to upgrade. They would rather keep it silenced to get conformity. I purchased a product for the same price as everyone else many can go 2000m, but because they were silence about that, many not knowing upgraded.
I don't know if that's true that They are NOT supposed to force people to upgrade.but it's irrelevant anyway because DJI do not force people to upgrade.
You can fly as long as you like on the original firmware or any other version that takes your fancy.

To summarise this "debate": DJI released the P3 with amazing specs and performance and included a 500 metre altitude limit for some reason only they know.
Later a 3rd party app developer found a way around this restriction and users of that app and old firmware were able to go further.
More recent DJI firmware closed the loophole and the 3rd party app is stuck with the 500 metre restriction with recent firmware - just the same as non-Litchi users have done ever since the first Phantom 3 was sold.

In truth, this perceived restriction affects very few users very little of the time and 500 metres s most flyers the ability to do whatever they want or need to do.
If it was a major imposition, the P3 wouldn't sell like hotcakes and the forums would be full of complaints.

giveaka1ceman and a few others object to this - but no amount of posting here will achieve anything.
If it is a really important issue for you, discuss it with DJI, directly, over on their forum or at CES in a few weeks.

I don't know if that's true that They are NOT supposed to force people to upgrade.but it's irrelevant anyway because DJI do not force people to upgrade.
You can fly as long as you like on the original firmware or any other version that takes your fancy.
What does firmware update "required" mean to you? Or someone who is new and does it out of fear that their quad has an existing problem? Physically no they can't force it, but they scare the uninformed into it.

To summarise this "debate": DJI released the P3 with amazing specs and performance and included a 500 metre altitude limit for some reason only they know.
It was only a number they had in DJI Go that originally they didn't even know for sure the lightbridge would go that far.
Later a 3rd party app developer found a way around this restriction and users of that app and old firmware were able to go further.
More recent DJI firmware closed the loophole and the 3rd party app is stuck with the 500 metre restriction with recent firmware - just the same as non-Litchi users have done ever since the first Phantom 3 was sold.
Why is it "a loophole" only by those who don't use it or need it. You sound like the guy who complains that business owners like myself have legit deductions aka loopholes non users call it. Fact was, the limit was Not imposed or passed on to 3rd parties because they didn't think it was an issue. Only after a clown did stupid stuff, and they being the more advanced company at the time, decided to go with their lawyers and add the limit.

In truth, this perceived restriction affects very few users very little of the time and 500 metres s most flyers the ability to do whatever they want or need to do.
...usually said by someone who those abilities are not needed. Hence, the if I don't need that feature, than nobody else does either mentality.
If it was a major imposition, the P3 wouldn't sell like hotcakes and the forums would be full of complaints.
.....once again, only due to lightbridge and waypoint that others are trailing in. Not because of customer service or unbreakable shells :)

giveaka1ceman and a few others object to this - but no amount of posting here will achieve anything.
If it is a really important issue for you, discuss it with DJI, directly, over on their forum or at CES in a few weeks.
... wrong......as I said earlier I can prevent uninformed buyers what they are giving up when they upgrade to 1.4 or 1.5. As you will soon see how I tend to make that even easier. :D

Everyone here gets that you don't like it.
You must have 100 posts by now going over and over again telling us how much you don't like it and it gone past tedious now.
I'm not going to bother trying to address your points - you ignore anything relevant and blather on and on with the same old stuff.
Getting argumentative here won't achieve anything for you - take it up with DJI if it really bothers you.

... wrong......as I said earlier I can prevent uninformed buyers what they are giving up when they upgrade to 1.4 or 1.5. As you will soon see how I tend to make that even easier. :D
I better remind you of one of the forum rules because if you have a beef with DJI - take it to DJI.

Manufacturer/Distributor/Vendor and Customer Disputes
This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about manufacturers, distributors or sales from private parties. Please settle your differences with the seller, manufacturer and distributors through other means but not through our community.

If you can't comply, be prepared to have threads locked.
You've had more than a good go here - talk to DJI if you want anything done.

Everyone here gets that you don't like it.
You must have 100 posts by now going over and over again telling us how much you don't like it and it gone past tedious now.
(and you have your comment on how we are wrong on Every single 1 of them that you disagree on)
I'm not going to bother trying to address your points - you ignore anything relevant and blather on and on with the same old stuff.
...and your rant on how you want me to shut up and not answer the op. I gave facts something you still want to disreguard. Same old problem that this Op has.
I better remind you of one of the forum rules because if you have a beef with DJI - take it to DJI.

Manufacturer/Distributor/Vendor and Customer Disputes
This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about manufacturers, distributors or sales from private parties. Please settle your differences with the seller, manufacturer and distributors through other means but not through our community.

If you can't comply, be prepared to have threads locked.
You've had more than a good go here - talk to DJI if you want anything done.
This is NOT a beef with DJI. This is the answer once again to the Op. So 1st, you block my ip when you don't like what I had to say a few days ago now you try to find a way to twist the rules to stop me from telling the truth that you don't like. It is Not my fault that the forum is flooded with questions on how to remove the height restrictions. I'm only offering truth, and knowledge to answer their questions before they make the regretful mistake of going to 1.4 or 1.5. :)

So 1st, you block my ip when you don't like what I had to say a few days ago now you try to find a way to twist the rules to stop me from telling the truth that you don't like.
I've only told you twice already!
No-one here has blocked your IP.

This is an indication of your ability to jump to conclusions and read between lines that just aren't there.
You've exhibited similar lack of critical reasoning in some of your altitude posting.
I'm not going to bother commenting on it any more because it's a waste of effort on my part.

I've only told you twice already!
No-one here has blocked your IP.

This is an indication of your ability to jump to conclusions and read between lines that just aren't there.
You've exhibited similar lack of critical reasoning in some of your altitude posting.
I'm not going to bother commenting on it any more because it's a wast of effort on my part.
No, this was not jump to conclusion. I have been a moderator before. You have the ability to block a single IP. And I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that a certain IP of mine was blocked from your site. Once I change the IP that laptop works fine. I change the IP back, and guess what happens??. And I verified it with other third party apps to make sure before I accused anyone.

(Adding the fact that my daughter teaches IT for college and another family member who works for Homeland Security helped verify my ip was blocked)

Last edited:
No, this was not jump to conclusion. I have been a moderator before. You have the ability to block a single IP. And I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that a certain IP of mine was blocked from your site. Once I change the IP that laptop works fine. I change the IP back, and guess what happens??. And I verified it with other third party apps to make sure before I accused anyone.
Last time ... it was NO-ONE HERE.
It makes no sense ... if anyone here wanted to restrict you .. why would they allow you to login anywhere, anytime except on your laptop and only for one day?
This is really loonytunes conspiracy stuff
Perhaps it was DJI .. perhaps the government or maybe little green men from Mars but no-one from Phantom Pilots had anything to do with it..

Reactions: bobmyers
As a moderator, we used to use it as a warning. Years ago that's all people were blocked.
Last time ... it was NO-ONE HERE.
It makes no sense ... if anyone here wanted to restrict you .. why would they allow you to login anywhere, anytime except on your laptop and only for one day?
This is really loonytunes conspiracy stuff
Perhaps it was DJI .. perhaps the government or maybe little green men from Mars but no-one from Phantom Pilots had anything to do with it..
Call it what you want. I guess you denying it will make it go away like the ops issue with distance.
So once again, Are we not getting away from the Ops issue?

I am new to Phantom 3 so I don't realise older versions of firmware have no restriction on altitude. Keep your old firmware if that's what you want.
But if you have the newer firmware with altitude restriction and you don't like it, very simple, sell your Phantom and buy other brands of drones.

I am new to Phantom 3 so I don't realise older versions of firmware have no restriction on altitude. Keep your old firmware if that's what you want.
But if you have the newer firmware with altitude restriction and you don't like it, very simple, sell your Phantom and buy other brands of drones.

Using the DJI Go (called Pilot then) there has always been the 500m limit. There as a glitch in the SDK released to 3rd party developers that allowed any altitude to be set in those 3rd party apps.

Trying to get the FW changed seems an unrealistic approach to achieving a higher maximum flight altitude.

If the pressure sensor (a mechanical device on the circuit board) is modified by a factor of 10 (by placing it in a suitable enclosure) it could be made to read 500M when it was actually at 5000M. Problem solved?

Last edited:
There were too many idiots flying way above the clouds and can interfere with commerical aircrafts. That would be really ugly. DJI didnt want to take blame for that so this was a smart move by them. When I had my P2 I was all about range and max altitude, I took mine up so far I even see passenger planes and it would scare the crap out of me. THose days are over and I even regret my past.

If you wanna break the rules you can do so, just build your own quadcopter.

If you are following the terrain as it sloped upward and you went over 500 meters above your take off altitude you would not be breaking the "rules". As long as you stay within 400 feet of the ground below the copter then you are within the "rules". Your take off altitude vs the altitude of your copter above the ground can be two entirely different things. THAT is what people are complaining about (myself included).

I fly canyon country and if I had know this I would have reconsidered getting a P3P. I am holding off upgrading to the latest firmware as long as I can. I suppose I can fly my P2 and other 'copters... but not the same video outcome...

Reactions: GadgetGuy

Thanks for the bit of history behind the DJI actions. Pretty interesting.

"In truth, this perceived restriction affects very few users very little of the time and 500 metres s most flyers the ability to do whatever they want or need to do."

The restriction is not perceived, it is actual.

"DJI released the P3 with amazing specs and performance and included a 500 metre altitude limit for some reason only they know."

When I bought the P3 I also signed up as a developer. I asked them about the "spec" that showed the +1000m and -200m limits. They responded very quickly about this parameter having changed and that documentation would be updated with the new values, which were being enforced by the firmware.

"If it is a really important issue for you, discuss it with DJI..."

Tried that. Another quick response from DJI - said that they would pass my request along for consideration. Nothing since then. Can't remember if that was October or November. Maybe they are working on a better solution, e.g. something where users would be allowed to exceed limits if they register their bird AND agreeing to accept any liability for any issues caused by exceeding the greater limits. I should follow up. I am not holding my breath, though.

Again, I am not about to lose hope that DJI will consider a solution to allow those (few) of us who truly need to exceed the current height limits (both above and below) in order to fly our birds in mountainous areas (not where any planes fly and NOT 500m above ground level). With my limited understanding of what they are doing with the NFZ limits/bounds (which surely must affect most P3 owners, right?), DJI can certainly make a provision for allowing birds to be flown up and down mountainsides.

Reactions: aka1ceman

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl