Altitude limit: how can I do this?

I don't have a dog in this fight. DJI has chosen its path. If you don't like it, move to a different solution. I will say that you will prefer DJI's restrictions to those of the FAA. Self regulation is a far better option.

Please note that complaining publicly about moderation activity is prohibited under the community guidelines. If you have an issue, you take it up privately. Please also note that there is no IP address blocking going on to the best of my knowledge. IP address blocking is ineffective at best.

Use Litchi 2.3.1 beta, there is not altitude limitation becuase of older DJI SKD

Reactions: GadgetGuy
The FAA rules, etc. are the basis of the world standard. In order for commercial US aircraft to be allowed to fly into 'your' country certain minimums must be met.

It is not a stretch to expect than many of the FAA requirements exist in other countries as well.

Mr. Mann can help with that.
Most FAA rulemaking (and 191 other countries) follow the IACO (International Civil Aviation Organization) conventions. The IACO conventions are what make international travel easy. Just as the FAA makes consistent rules that apply to all airspace in the US, the IACO makes consistent rules that apply to all airspace over member countries. (Imagine the chaos if every town, state and country had different rules for flight over their boundaries).

The International Civil Aviation Organization’s (ICAO) new Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (RPAS) Panel aims to deliver standards for unmanned aircraft to the organization’s governing council in 2018. Once approved, the standards will guide ICAO’s 191 member states in setting their own national regulations. The overall process of producing RPAS standards is expected to take a decade or longer.
[cite]

As just one small example, Article 29 of the treaty requires every aircraft to have various certificates, licenses, and a logbook carried on board — physically improbable if not impossible for an unmanned aircraft. There are difficulties defining drones in legal terms so the rules don’t encompass model aircraft as well: Technically, said Cary, “model aircraft are unmanned aircraft, [but] we do not want to be regulating them.” More substantively, while ICAO is currently working on rules for what it insistently calls “remotely piloted” aircraft, it is well behind the industry in considering autonomous aircraft that fly themselves without having constant contact with a human operator on the ground.
[cite]
The FAA has to be very careful to avoid creating rules that would probably have to be changed when the next ICAO convention implements drone rules. Unlike local amateur legislators, the FAA is very deliberate to look forward and not hamstring a new industry with random rulemaking. This is one reason that new rules take years to develop.

How in the heck is DJIs restriction stopping an accident from happening? Is this not their reasoning?
No, they are building a preemptive defense for themselves. DJI is a "deep pocket" target and when there is a serious injury from a drone crash that is either a DJI aircraft or another aircraft carrying a DJI product like a Zenmuse gimbal or NAZA controller, DJI will be named in the expected lawsuit. All the plaintiff needs is a jury finding a 1% responsibility on DJI's part. In most US states, all defendants are responsible for the total judgement. So, if a jury awards a ten million dollar judgement against a DIY builder with no assets or insurance and also finds DJI 1% responsible, then guess who will pay the $10 mil?

If you are making a business from your drones, then there are 500 different models among 168 manufacturers to choose from. [cite] Most of them do not have preloaded geofencing or altitude limits - assuming that the operators are responsible professionals.

Rules? What rules are being broken. Just because you have rules in your area, does Not mean those "rules" apply to the rest of the world. Meanwhile don't try to force Your rules on everyone else.
When 1 country creates a law does all the other countries have to abide by it?? NO

I don't really care where you are from. You probably have no business, skill, knowledge or a license to be flying anywhere near the clouds anywhere in the world. You also have to remember you are only flying a Chinese mass manufactured toy.

why is DJ I the only company implementing this?
They are not alone. 3DR and Parrot have predetermined limits on some of their aircraft.

I don't really care where you are from. You probably have no business, skill, knowledge or a license to be flying anywhere near the clouds anywhere in the world. You also have to remember you are only flying a Chinese mass manufactured toy.
That is the problem you do not care, nor do you know anything about my usage. You have no idea about missionary work, or anything of the sort when traveling to other countries. You are nothing but another one with the"if I don't need it then you don't need it mentality."

Last edited:
They will all have to succumb to implementing whatever the FAA Rules eventually become. They won't have a choice, if they wish to continue to sell their drones here in the U.S.
The FAA cannot mandate hardware or firmware in an uncertified aircraft. Airworthiness Certification is remarkably expensive and accounts for a significant portion of certified aircraft costs. Since there are no passengers at risk the FAA has wisely decided that UAS do not need airworthiness certification.

From the preamble to the Part 107 NPRM:
The FAA then examined the entire small UAS category of aircraft (unmanned aircraft weighing less than 55 pounds) and determined that appropriate operational risk mitigations could be developed to allow the entire category of small UAS to avoid airworthiness certification.​

Reactions: aka1ceman
The FAA cannot mandate hardware or firmware in an uncertified aircraft. Airworthiness Certification is remarkably expensive and accounts for a significant portion of certified aircraft costs. Since there are no passengers at risk the FAA has wisely decided that UAS do not need airworthiness certification.

From the preamble to the Part 107 NPRM:
The FAA then examined the entire small UAS category of aircraft (unmanned aircraft weighing less than 55 pounds) and determined that appropriate operational risk mitigations could be developed to allow the entire category of small UAS to avoid airworthiness certification.​
AMEN

That is the problem you do not care, nor do you know anything about my usage. You have no idea about missionary work, or anything of the sort when traveling to other countries. You are nothing but another one with the"if I don't need it then you don't need it mentality."

Shouldn't matter if i care or not about your usage. If it's for good or evil work [emoji3]. What i do care is that when i get into a private or commercial aircraft i want to feel safe and not have to worry about a drone kid skilled or unskilled crashing into my plane. You don't know how temperature, weather conditions, wind at 2000+ft is going to affect your mass manufactured drone. If it fails at what speed and on what or who is it going to land? It's all about having common sense and it doesn't matter what country you live in.

Unless you have a license, insurance, skill, knowledge and able to alert airman flying a real aircraft you shouldn't be flying that high.

Shouldn't matter if i care or not about your usage. If it's for good or evil work [emoji3]. What i do care is that when i get into a private or commercial aircraft i want to feel safe and not have to worry about a drone kid skilled or unskilled crashing into my plane. You don't know how temperature, weather conditions, wind at 2000+ft is going to affect your mass manufactured drone. If it fails at what speed and on what or who is it going to land? It's all about having common sense and it doesn't matter what country you live in.

Unless you have a license, insurance, skill, knowledge and able to alert airman flying a real aircraft you shouldn't be flying that high.
.......and this coming from a guy whos parents didn't give you enough allowance to purchase a laptop that can handle 4k.
If you knew anything about the P3 then you would know it is very safely capable of more than 500m, as many here on this forum still do. Meanwhile you can concentrate on converting 4k to 1080 backyard recordings, and leave the higher photography to more experienced. :D

.....once again your ignorance cracks me up. You don't know me from Adam, nor the licenses I do carry.

.......and this coming from a guy whos parents didn't give you enough allowance to purchase a laptop that can handle 4k.
If you knew anything about the P3 then you would know it is very safely capable of more than 500m, as many here on this forum still do. Meanwhile you can concentrate on converting 4k to 1080 backyard recordings, and leave the higher photography to more experienced. :D

Might be capable but it is not safe. If you were smart enough to look at the other posts you'd figure out that your battery may fail mid air, the plastic could crack at any time, etc, etc. Just because you have a capable mass produced machine doesnt mean it's safe.

DJI is putting a limit an altitude limit on its machines. That should tell you that they are not confident or feel it's safe for their hardware to fly past that threshold altitude. Why try to go around the mfg threshold and give responsible owners a bad name when you create an accident?

Might be capable but it is not safe. If you were smart enough to look at the other posts you'd figure out that your battery may fail mid air, the plastic could crack at any time, etc, etc. Just because you have a capable mass produced machine doesnt mean it's safe.

DJI is putting a limit an altitude limit on its machines. That should tell you that they are not confident or feel it's safe for their hardware to fly past that threshold altitude. Why try to go around the mfg threshold and give responsible owners a bad name when you create an accident?
........Your Using General statements with much ignorance. What kind of accident would it be in the mountains in Cathedral Peak in south Africa? Might hit a lion in the head? And Many P3 owners have been much higher than I. Do research first. Know the difference between altitude from ground level vs sea level. Meanwhile, if you need help putting 4k videos on a pc, I'd be more than happy to help you.

........Your Using General statements with much ignorance. What kind of accident would it be in the mountains in Cathedral Peak in south Africa? Might hit a lion in the head? And Many P3 owners have been much higher than I. Do research first. Know the difference between altitude from ground level vs sea level. Meanwhile, if you need help putting 4k videos on a pc, I'd be more than happy to help you.

A lion? Thats an endangered animal [emoji3]. I'm not going to doubt that you are an expert pilot, a responsible owner, and a good video editor. It's just simple. If you don't like DJIs threshold move to a different brand or build your own.

........or I just keep a Phantom at 1.3.2 and not update it.:mask:

Who doesn't want to fly their P3P up the face of a 2000M high mountain and take some wonderful photography?

Here in Australia my dji PP3 is limited to 120m ascending above ground. This is the CASA regulation for max hight above ground for Quadcopters. Max desend, I don't know, never flew below take off level yet.

Hi George, in Australia (or anywhere) you can fly up the face of a 2000M high mountain without ever being more than 120M above ground. Well, you could if your P3P wasn't hobbled by a flat-earth limit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31