Altitude limit: how can I do this?

'Few' loyal customers???

They have overwhelming market share.
The ONLY reason is lightbridge. Remove the capabilities light bridge has and they are sitting on the shelf.
Here's what DJI did,..... create a capability of going further distances to draw in customers, then tell you you cannot use it.
As Blackberry what happens when they don't give public what they want and are willing to pay for

The FAA rules, etc. are the basis of the world standard. In order for commercial US aircraft to be allowed to fly into 'your' country certain minimums must be met.

It is not a stretch to expect than many of the FAA requirements exist in other countries as well.

Mr. Mann can help with that.

As one who no doubt has some understanding of FAA rules, would you care to comment on the post that I made last week about certain flights that can and cannot be flown by theP3 ...AND make sure that your comments reference or include context with any of the FAA rules?

Also, as you do, please remember this: I am not advocating that anyone break any rules. What is at the heart of this discussion is that whatever rules may exist, does the DJI implementation of a 500m above takeoff and 200m below takeoff truly address ANY rules? That is the question. I contend that DJI's height limit implementation is misleading when held up as A/THE solution for some FAA (or other) rule. Proactive? Maybe. Misleading? Definitely.

Reactions: aka1ceman
1394540650316.jpg

Yep, this thread again, silly boy.
Do you have anything useful to add?

How does this prevent more restrictions? So why 500 meters? Set it at 2000 meters like allowed before. It's still a restriction. I think 2000m may be enough to cover most in mountains.
My argument is yesterday it was 2000 m, today 500m, tomorrow 400ft, next yr, 50ft over your own back yard.
DJI (and other companies) have been in talks with the FAA about what restrictions will be put in place. I think it's very likely that there was a concession made at some point where DJI (who has 1/2 the market of sales) agreed to include the limit for some consideration in that area. I think it's also likely that this helps limit DJI's liability in the matter.

I understand that some people don't like this limit and that some people disagree that it should be done at all. As I've said, I don't agree or disagree with the limit. I'm just staying why I think it was put into place. That is the post I responded to. I also pointed out that rules and restrictions are made all of the time as a proactive measure.

Last edited:
DJI (and other companies) have been in talks with the FAA about what restrictions will be put in place. I think it's very likely that there was a concession made at some point where DJI (who has 1/2 the market of sales) agreed to include the limit for some consideration in that area. I think it's also likely that this helps limit DJI's liability in the matter.

I understand that some people don't like this limit and that some people disagree that it should be done at all. As I've said, I don't agree or disagree with the limit. I'm just staying why I think it was put into place. That is the post I responded to. I also pointed out that rules and restrictions are made all of the time as a proactive measure.
if DJ I cannot interpret and include the correct laws based on that area, then I shouldn't be making any at all. Or at least include flexibility if need to.
FAA'S 400 ft mark is a guideline as the lines on the road. They themselves at times even legally give you the ability to cross those.
But once again as you are speculating as far as what was discussed can those meetings, why is DJ I the only company implementing this? To prevent lawsuits plain and simple.

Why don't you offer a pole? How many people would leave DJI and purchase a competitor if they could equal Lightbridge capabilities with no restrictions.
It is like fencing in an acre of yard for your dog and yet leaving him tied up on a six foot leash.

Reactions: huntjock
As one who no doubt has some understanding of FAA rules, would you care to comment on the post that I made last week about certain flights that can and cannot be flown by theP3 ...AND make sure that your comments reference or include context with any of the FAA rules?

Also, as you do, please remember this: I am not advocating that anyone break any rules. What is at the heart of this discussion is that whatever rules may exist, does the DJI implementation of a 500m above takeoff and 200m below takeoff truly address ANY rules? That is the question. I contend that DJI's height limit implementation is misleading when held up as A/THE solution for some FAA (or other) rule. Proactive? Maybe. Misleading? Definitely.

I have no desire to engage in discussions on a chat forum that requires footnotes.
What is it with people that want to engage in such???

These are toys and there are places you shouldn't play with toys.
Not to mention the low reliability and zero redundancy.
If you don't like the playing rules on DJI's 'playground', hop on your hoverboard and find another..

Having flown r/c aircraft for about 3 decades I'm at a loss to explain the mindset that thinks I, you, me, we, can fly anywhere, anytime we choose.

Sorry that it hasn't worked out for you in that respect but for me I enjoy my quad as much as any other a/c I've owned and have never run up against an issue preventing my use.

I have no desire to engage in discussions on a chat forum that requires footnotes.
What is it with people that want to engage in such???
...shocker easy way to avoid facts. The devil is in the details.

These are toys and there are places you shouldn't play with toys.
just because your momma wouldn't let you out of the backyard, doesn't mean my mom has to keep me in mind as long as I don't break laws. Some of us were mature enough to venture past the backyard and not do anything illegal.

Not to mention the low reliability and zero redundancy.
If you don't like the playing rules on DJI's 'playground', hop on your hoverboard and find another..
........or for the third option, educate enough people not to upgrade to the newest firmware so they do not have this problem.

Having flown r/c aircraft for about 3 decades I'm at a loss to explain the mindset that thinks I, you, me, we, can fly anywhere, anytime we choose.
I have been flying for three decades as well, and I am at a loss for those that have the mindset that just because you have no need to fly past 500m, you limit everyone else. P.S. since you have 30yrs, you expect everyone else should just sit down, shut up and not say anything?
New person asks "Why does my P3 drift?
....what difference does it make, this guy's got 30 yrs and his doesnt drift so shut up.

Sorry that it hasn't worked out for you in that respect but for me I enjoy my quad as much as any other a/c I've owned and have never run up against an issue preventing my use.
you keep enjoying flying as you do, meanwhile stop trying to impose your restrictions on everyone else.

Last edited:
Lots of equipment will allow you to fly the way you desire.

Once you focus on the problem you can easily solve it.

You simply have the wrong tool [toy] for the job.

Caveat Emptor

Reactions: SteveMann
Lots of equipment will allow you to fly the way you desire.

Once you focus on the problem you can easily solve it.

You simply have the wrong tool [toy] for the job.

Caveat Emptor
The problem is a restriction, and modification to the tool [toy] will fix it. :)
......now we just need to notify those on 1.3 or older not to ruin their toy meanwhile.

Wanna bet a 1.3.2 P3 will be worth much more than a 1.5 in the same condition? Ask yourself why?

The problem is a restriction, and modification to the tool [toy] will fix it. :)
......now we just need to notify those on 1.3 or older not to ruin their toy meanwhile.

Wanna bet a 1.3.2 P3 will be worth much more than a 1.5 in the same condition? Ask yourself why?

After all that research and reading up on the DJI platforms, I believed I was buying a tool. I am about ready to admit that I bought a toy (I would still prefer to call it a severely limited tool with amazing potential) - and sell it to the more experienced gentleman above who has space reserved right next to his Atari Pong machine.

Poor analogy (of which I am a master): I can only imagine Makita, DeWalt or Ryobi selling a power drill with a single phillips bit welded in its chuck (because that is what most people need, right?) and with a single, slow speed (because fast would be dangerous, right?).

I think the problem with the 1.3.2 option is that one would also need the "snapshot" of all related software from that same point in time. That is, it is not likely that newer 3rd party app releases would work with the older firmware.

But, I do agree that as more and more limitations are applied - whether in the name of "safety" or whatever - the value of these very capable "tools and toys" will diminish.

Modifying the altitude sensor might be easier than trying to modify the firmware. Where are all the genius hacks for this?

Modifying the altitude sensor might be easier than trying to modify the firmware. Where are all the genius hacks for this?
how do you modify a barometer? it either works or it doesn't, and if it doesn't, enjoy your RTH flight.

Everyone seems to be missing the point that nothing in the FAA Guidelines (soon to be made Rules in some form) refers to anything other than AGL altitude, which DJI currently has no way of actually measuring. All DJI limitation calculations (-200m and +500) are based upon the launch altitude being set as zero, and taking a barometric pressure reading on the aircraft and comparing it to your launch point of zero feet. The FAA doesn't use launch altitude in establishing a 400 foot above ground level guideline. The only relevant number that matters for all purposes is the aircraft's height above the ground below it, throughout its flight.

DJI makes the assumption that the world is flat. It isn't. Their altitude limitations are a crude attempt to account for minor variations in ground topography, since they cannot measure the distance to the ground below the aircraft. I have no particular need to fly more than 400 feet AGL, but can give numerous examples of where I cannot fly 400 feet AGL, or even less, over hilly terrain, with DJI's arbitrary attempt to guess at what above launch limitations would best conform to 400 feet AGL.:rolleyes:

I bought a motorcycle that can do 185mph... but if I go faster than the posted speed limit sign, I can get a ticket, get arrested or get dead... indeed, these are my choices to make and technically nothing prevents me from being stupid and possibly injuring myself or others with my rejection of the "posted" limit...

How often do I go 185mph?... never... though once I got up to 145mph... thankfully it was a closed course and the only person I could have killed or injured was me.

Yes, it sucks that sometimes others impose limits on what we want to do... @aka1ceman when you get funding and build and sell a quad that doesn't impose these limits, you'll have a line of like-minded people who are ready to lay down their $$ and take their chances and take responsibility for their actions...

You should be flaming the DJI Facebook page if you wanna get them to change.. or file a lawsuit.... this seems the wrong venue for it if any accomplishment is expected.

I bought a motorcycle that can do 185mph... but if I go faster than the posted speed limit sign, I can get a ticket, get arrested or get dead... indeed, these are my choices to make and technically nothing prevents me from being stupid and possibly injuring myself or others with my rejection of the "posted" limit...

How often do I go 185mph?... never... though once I got up to 145mph... thankfully it was a closed course and the only person I could have killed or injured was me.

Yes, it sucks that sometimes others impose limits on what we want to do... @aka1ceman when you get funding and build and sell a quad that doesn't impose these limits, you'll have a line of like-minded people who are ready to lay down their $$ and take their chances and take responsibility for their actions...

You should be flaming the DJI Facebook page if you wanna get them to change.. or file a lawsuit.... this seems the wrong venue for it if any accomplishment is expected.
Not necessarily. I disagree. What does it take for evil to prevail? What it takes is frustrated people to make a difference. We will always have those who think unless they need it nobody else does mentality. Also why is it "flamming" when it's about an issue or problem that doesn't effect the person using those terms?
So
1. Restrictions, It IS a problem. Hence many have come here to fix it. (And if you deny it is a problem, it doesn't go away for those who have it)
2. I'm making it WELL known for any body what happens when they go from 1.3 to newer. From there they can make a decision to devalue their bird. Not a mentality where since I have 1.5, you need it and don't need it's advantages wherever you go.
3. When enough people get upset with the changes, it will get changed with or without DJI. Meanwhile if you want restrictions, turn on beginner mode. At least there is a choice there.

This is a DJI's product, they set the limit. If they want to hardwire the altitude limit to even 100m, that's their choice. We can either just mention our opinion or we don't have to buy it. At the end, DJI makes the final decision and we can't do anything more.

I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but it might help. The real problem is that no P3 has a laser rangefinder built-in, to measure above ground level. If it did, this thread would be moot. Without that capability, basing altitude restrictions on your launch point only works well for level topography in every direction for 10 miles. I don't live in that world, and neither do most of us. So, the current restrictions are arbitrary and actually defeat maintaining 400 feet AGL. Say I launch from 250 above mean sea level, and fly at 400 feet above my launch point. As soon as I fly over the ocean below, I am now 650 feet AGL while maintaining DJI's safe 400 feet above my launch point. Should I intelligently adjust my elevation to 150 feet above my launch point, I am now still 400 feet AGL of the ocean. However, even then, if set my RTH altitude to anything above 150 feet (I use 120m because I don't know where signal may be lost, and a very tall building I briefly flew behind and could run into might be the cause), DJI will be flying my bird home at 650 feet AGL! There are no right answers here, and even DJI's encouraged and imposed settings create 400 feet AGL "violations" of the FAA Guidelines.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.