Alfa panels rock!

Thank you Matt,

The Alfa panels look good but for some reason I'm going to take the hit and buy the DBS for $110.

I don't have enough money to experiment as I'm just a kid working a bunch of 8 hour shifts.

The DBS mod just looks cleaner and there seems to be more knowledge about them on these forums. If I get around 2500ft range with my stock phantom 3 standard, what can I expect to get at the minimum with the DBS mod? I would really like to get 1.5 miles away.
Yes, 1.5 miles is very doable with the DBS.

16991861_1470278182996080_3693279158505704249_o.jpg

Brody Simpson posted this setup on facebook phantom page.

OK. I made my decision. I'm sticking with the DBS panel. The Alfa mod is great if you are on a budget and I'm impressed with the distances, but the DBS just has a smaller overall physical footprint and looks better, IMO.

Reactions: G Tek Fab
made it over 2 miles with alfas today aka 11200ft before i decided to turn around and fly back maybe ill test the limits soon

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-02-27-17-36-39.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-27-17-36-39.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 347
16991861_1470278182996080_3693279158505704249_o.jpg

Brody Simpson posted this setup on facebook phantom page.
Has he posted any results? I've had nothing but poor results from my Alfas even when I set up three M25's boosted! All my tests have been in wide open spaces with excellent line of sight and no interferences. I've given the Alfas every opportunity to succeed but they just haven't done it for me. :(

It's funny how some people have extremely good luck with aftermarket antennas and some people have the exact opposite with the same antennas. It could be location, it could be aiming technique, most likely both.

For now I'm sticking with my boosted DBS while I work on other antenna projects.

Reactions: Matts175
I had concluded that the Alfa's did not help and then last weekend I flew out to 1.3 miles. The same day, same location I also flew 1.2. Miles on my Amazon Omni's. There are perfect days and there are all the rest of the days. I've had days as a ham radio operator where I could talk to other countries and not be able to talk to someone a mile down the road and days where the operator down the road was the only one I could talk to. Our ambulances use the statewide 700mhz system and there are days and weather conditions where we have huge dead spots with no communications at all. I used to be able to explain these phenomenon, but the fact is, sometimes you just can't explain mother nature and how she handles radio communications. I have 2 sets of flat panels and a set of Omni's in my phantom case and today I test my new DBS. There are going to be days where one of those junk antennas far exceeds all the rest for a given terrain or condition.

11000ft on my alfa no boosters. Notice i still had plenty of signal to go further but i didnt because i got nervous. I made it back with 50%batt.in other news i bought a mavic pro thursday and will be here monday i cant wait

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-02-27-17-36-19.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-27-17-36-19.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 384
  • 20170301_053243.jpg
    20170301_053243.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 369
Reactions: Matts175
I had concluded that the Alfa's did not help and then last weekend I flew out to 1.3 miles. The same day, same location I also flew 1.2. Miles on my Amazon Omni's. There are perfect days and there are all the rest of the days. I've had days as a ham radio operator where I could talk to other countries and not be able to talk to someone a mile down the road and days where the operator down the road was the only one I could talk to. Our ambulances use the statewide 700mhz system and there are days and weather conditions where we have huge dead spots with no communications at all. I used to be able to explain these phenomenon, but the fact is, sometimes you just can't explain mother nature and how she handles radio communications. I have 2 sets of flat panels and a set of Omni's in my phantom case and today I test my new DBS. There are going to be days where one of those junk antennas far exceeds all the rest for a given terrain or condition.
I totally agree with the Mother Nature theory as I too have had days where I could fly 2.5 miles and others at the same location I could only reach 5000'. First thing I wanted to do was smash the controller on the ground and give up, but after numerous times returning to the same spot with different weather conditions and different distance results I came to the conclusion Mother Nature does have a huge effect on distance flying.

Although my DBS still kicks *** on the Alfas.

Reactions: Unit505
IMG_2738.JPG
Here's something I'm trying next. Tripod set up...

Two 2.4 GHz 14dbi flat panels with a 5.8 GHz 15.5dbi Super Cannon.

The tripod has a long adjustment handle on it so I can move it around and stay right on the bird if needed. Thanks DB!

Holy mother of 10 miles lol
Lol!! I forgot to add, my battery mod stuff is starting to trickle in so I'll be able to keep up with some of the longer ranges.

I hope...

Reactions: rich_schultz
Sorry Matt, didn't mean to jack your thread. o_O

Sorry Matt, didn't mean to jack your thread. o_O

It's totally cool. I love the conversation.

I'm trying an experiment right now. I bought some P3 professional antennas for the bird side. Only $4 for 4. I'm ripping one apart right now to see what makes it tick.

IMG_2742.JPG
It's totally cool. I love the conversation.

I'm trying an experiment right now. I bought some P3 professional antennas for the bird side. Only $4 for 4. I'm ripping one apart right now to see what makes it tick.
Oh nice keep me posted!

I just installed a 5.8GHz clover leaf to go with the super cannon. From what I'm reading it's a perfect match. I'm thinking I should put another up front for the return home.

Reactions: 805hd and Matts175
Those Chinese panels can offer a significant upgrade, but when they reach they're limit don't get discouraged, you can message @Procharged97 and he'll rebuild and fine tune them for you to triple their performance. And his finish products are beautiful too.
63822be11488053258c95b35cd07b281.jpg

Those Chinese panels can offer a significant upgrade, but when they reach they're limit don't get discouraged, you can message @Procharged97 and he'll rebuild and fine tune them for you to triple their performance. And his finish products are beautiful too.
63822be11488053258c95b35cd07b281.jpg
Is this one single panel for both wifi connections or is similar to the DBS with both wifi and transmitter combine? Pretty nice looking for sure.

This only 2.4! Double 14 DB panels
Whoa nice! So the Sniper and a super Cannon should do the trick? Boosted or unboosted?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164