Airport

Question, how does DJI's current actions (GEO) affect your flying in anyway?
Say I'm in Traverse City Michigan and want to video in the Bay. It is within a 5 mile radius. Get it? The airport is a couple miles away. I guess we have beaten this dog enough by now. It is what it is. Happy and safe flying! Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
Say I'm in Traverse City Michigan and want to video in the Bay. It is within a 5 mile radius. Get it? The airport is a couple miles away. I guess we have beaten this dog enough by now. It is what it is. Happy and safe flying! Thanks for your input.

With GEO you'd still be able to fly. GEO locks you out at 1.5 miles from the airport.

The app helps, but common sense needs to be a factor also.. From my own personal experience I was going to fly in a few locations across town while visiting my Wifes family, who all live very near a smaller regional airport.
After contacting the control tower and chatting with them about my flights, I found that.

A - In one location, off to the side from any approach, but closer to the airport the DJI app wouldn't let me get above 40 feet. To be fair, I was only barely outside the red circle so this wasn't a huge surprise.

B - The real surprise came at another location on the other side of the airport, where I'd have never even attempted to fly as it's on an approach path to the runway and CONSTANTLY has small planes buzzing the treetops overhead.. Here the DJI app showed me easily outside of the red circle, and would have let me fly anywhere I wanted. I only checked out of curiosity, I'd have been scared to fly there due to all of the small plane traffic. :) But it sure would have let me do it.

My in-laws family business is operating helicopters for the motion picture industry. One of them also flys drones commercially, but is admittedly just getting into it. Anyways, they tell me for my location and the airport that I am good to go at less than 400ft. I'm about 2.5 miles from the center of the airport.

all this is so scary ... People flying near an airfield...just takes one careless drone flyer bringing down a commercial plane with people in it and its the end for all us hobby drone flyers

Sent from my MI 5 using PhantomPilots mobile app

My in-laws family business is operating helicopters for the motion picture industry. One of them also flys drones commercially, but is admittedly just getting into it. Anyways, they tell me for my location and the airport that I am good to go at less than 400ft. I'm about 2.5 miles from the center of the airport.

If you are in the U.S. you are supposed to contact the airport management and advise them of your activities, location, etc.

Different countries different rules... I live right next to a small international airport in Tanzania, in fact the radius line is passing right into my garden, the runaway is about a mile away and the airport terminal is less then a mile away from home... this is driving me crazy as the it creates all sorts of issues... Aaaarrrgh...

I live about two miles from a class D airport and notice that DJI Go only restricts about a one mile radius around this airport. FAA rules say that any airport with a control tower needs a five mile radius. I've been flying outside the DJI marked restricted zone but within 5 miles and I'm now wondering if I'm flying illegally. Any thoughts?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl