Aftermarket battery vote/ survey.

Would you use an aftermarket battery

• Total voters
Well now you all know my experience of a failed non oem battery and can take it into consideration for any further purchases.

I would like to add it was pushed 'home correctly' and strangely enough still in place post crash - it wasn't ejected!

In terms of warranty the manufacture was good enough to admit fault with their battery and gave me a full refund. Although they weren't prepared to cover the cost of repair to the drone.

Hopefully everyone can take away a little from my experience and use it constructively

After testing today mine has failed, on only its 13th charge, but I had a warning several flights ago too.

It gets little use as i only really fly with the DJI and an aftermarket lihv for extended flights these days. Today i was doing a hover test to test the hover time of each of my batteries. The Banggood cells seem fine at idle on the ground but once hovering 2 cells quickly go out of sync. The drone flys normally, but below is the battery status page. I immediately abandoned the hover test, however i wanted to drain the battery before disassembling it.I hovered 1ft off the ground when it reached 11% the drone cut out and fell to the ground!!!! To anyone who has got a clone, please keep an eye on them.

I might try replace the cells myself.

sijCcQp.jpg

enulLPv.jpg

t4swOUs.jpg

7Ht1fq9.jpg

As mentioned earlier in this thread the DJI batteries cost about $250 Australian dollars (normal retail). Curiously this is exactly half the price I paid for my discounted Phantom 3 Standard through Kogan.com. So I guess it boils down to a risk over price consideration. Me? I take the conservative approach and buy DJI branded batteries.

I'm using 2 EBL batteries from amazon in the UK without issues...charges faster than the original batteries...don't see any difference in flight times

How can they charge faster ? The DJI charger is a regulated power brick only.

Nigel

How can they charge faster ? The DJI charger is a regulated power brick only.

Nigel
I don't know why but they charge in 50 mins...my dji battery takes over an hour..maybe its whats left in residual charge or ive not noticed...

Last edited:
What you can do .. is to read the GO app for battery state after its rested a bit and then charge ... keeping an eye on time.

Do that for both .. compare rested after flight % and voltage of the batterys as well as charge times.

I suspect you will find very little real difference.

If you were charging as I do .. I have two methods ... DJI block and also Programmable LiPo charger - THEN you can see a difference ... as I can then set my amp rate to the max the battery is rated for.

The P3S charger is 57W ... with a typical after flight pack sitting at about 3.7v per cell - you would never get more than 3.9A charge rate.... dropping of to 3.2A as the voltage climbs in the pack.
The P3A / P3P charger is I believe 72W .. so that gives max 4.9A ... dropping to 4.1A ...

The pack is basically capable of charging at 5A rate but no higher ... as this is slightly over 1C ...

So you can see that the P3S charger is pretty slow against what the pack can be charged at ...

Nigel

when it reached 11% the drone cut out and fell to the ground!!!!

I gave a thought to a package of aftermarket batteries for my P4P, but reading several similar feedbacks, I'll let it pass... cut out percentages vary, I am afraid getting higher and higher with more cycles. Unless the cells are identical to the ones in the DJI battery and the "smart electronics" can re-calibrate the battery every now and then, battery indicators will be false.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robvalduga