Battery Ejection

Irresponsible flying like this, is exactly why "drones" have such a bad rep. Go fly in the desert or wherever. If your AC hit my car, kids, whatever, you would pay dearly.
People make mistakes. You don't know him or how hard he tried to do it proper. Sorry you crashed your bird. After analyzing all of it, my personal feeling it that you definitely hit that tree and fell straight down and probably plinkoed through the tree as the damage was surprisingly not as bad as one would thing.

Lesson to be learned here is KNOW THE AREA you are flying at night. Know every knock and cranny. You should only be flying at night if you are an expert RC hobbyist and it does not take much practice to get to that level.

Not saying you're not, just a PSA for the kids ;) Yeah, tree. Avoidance hasn't been great with trees either BTW, according to DJI themselves and they are working on better vision of wires and avoidance through the next Go App update. Can't wait for the next update. It's gonna be a much needed one.

Reactions: NormanNormal
People make mistakes. You don't know him or how hard he tried to do it proper. Sorry you crashed your bird. After analyzing all of it, my personal feeling it that you definitely hit that tree and fell straight down and probably plinkoed through the tree as the damage was surprisingly not as bad as one would thing.

Lesson to be learned here is KNOW THE AREA you are flying at night. Know every knock and cranny. You should only be flying at night if you are an expert RC hobbyist and it does not take much practice to get to that level.

Not saying you're not, just a PSA for the kids ;) Yeah, tree. Avoidance hasn't been great with trees either BTW, according to DJI themselves and they are working on better vision of wires and avoidance through the next Go App update. Can't wait for the next update. It's gonna be a much needed one.
There is a big difference between making a mistake, and intentionally risking harm to others. No, I don't know the OP, what does that have to do with anything?

Just out of curiousity, when you get your aircraft back up and running, can you measure the altitude of the above mentioned tree. Wonder if the random altitude loss people have been reporting was a factor in this crash.
Yes, that's a good idea to go back an try to figure this out. This big tree in front of your crash site property doesn't look 70' high, but the land it's on might be higher than your launch site.
upload_2016-4-4_13-3-44.png

upload_2016-4-4_13-18-18.png

Another view from directly in front of the house.
upload_2016-4-4_13-5-40.png

However it looks pretty flat there in Shreveport. Here's the launch site.
upload_2016-4-4_13-11-42.png

Last edited:
He's at 158 ft asl. The crash site is 158 ft asl if you can believe GE, and I have found it pretty accurate so far anywhere I've checked.

He's at 158 ft asl. The crash site is 158 ft asl if you can believe GE, and I have found it pretty accurate so far anywhere I've checked.
I would agree, I don't think the land elevation is different from launch to crash site. It looks really flat as you drive around the neighborhood with street view.

A standard garage door is about 7 ft high. With that in mind, the top of the tall tree pictured exceeds 70 feet agl by a pretty good margin.

A standard garage door is about 7 ft high. With that in mind, the top of the tall tree pictured exceeds 70 feet agl by a pretty good margin.

But you also have to take into account that the garage in the photo is further away than the tree, and so relatively looks smaller. A better metric may be the street light poles and power cables. Either way - it is a tall tree.

Yes, that's a good idea to go back an try to figure this out. This big tree in front of your crash site property doesn't look 70' high, but the land it's on might be higher than your launch site.
View attachment 49494

View attachment 49497

Another view from directly in front of the house.
View attachment 49495

However it looks pretty flat there in Shreveport. Here's the launch site.
View attachment 49496

Shreveport is, indeed, pretty flat, but the crash site is a few feet higher than home site, as there is a slight hill at the end of Stratmore Dr. where it runs into E. Kings Hwy. I'm out of town for work until Thursday, at which point I plan on going back and measuring the height of the tree (I have a laser that will do it).

Here is the last frame of recorded video:

http://i.imgur.com/k6UXVeL.jpg

The drone is facing roughly NW, the road in the lower right is E. Kings, running North off the right side of the image and the street running up the left side of the image is Hanover. I look to be just a little to the East of the edge of E. Kings (where I was supposed to be). You can tell that I'm way above the power poles/lines and there are some branches visible a good bit below me, but that's where the video ends; no flipping/twirling, it just...ends.

I wonder if you have the sd card and if you were video taping ? That would be the only sure clue of what happened

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Looks like it hit that first tallest tree just before the driveway slab the one to the right of the driveway, behind and to the left of the short telephone pole on E. King.

Of course if the battery lost connection(slid back and broke connection)I suppose all video/photo recording would stop. Also I suppose there could be some buffering but ever crash I've seen showed the impact.

The txt files might show the cause and would likely be a better blow by blow analysis.

Last edited:
Irresponsible flying like this, is exactly why "drones" have such a bad rep. Go fly in the desert or wherever. If your AC hit my car, kids, whatever, you would pay dearly.
It's a good thing he's in LA and you're in FL. Should be a big enough "buffer" zone.

If he hit your car, kids or whatever with his car, 4 wheeler, bicycle, park flyer he'd pay dearly too.

Morality police. You could join the altitude enforcement agency as well. Typical FOG

SD

Last edited:
Reactions: maseman88
I wonder if you have the sd card and if you were video taping ? That would be the only sure clue of what happened

Was recording, but the video (I posted a still of the last frame elsewhere in this thread) didn't show anything.

Looks like it hit that first tallest tree just before the driveway slab the one to the right of the driveway, behind and to the left of the short telephone pole on E. King.

Of course if the battery lost connection(slid back and broke connection)I suppose all video/photo recording would stop. Also I suppose there could be some buffering but ever crash I've seen showed the impact.

The txt files might show the cause and would likely be a better blow by blow analysis.

How do I find "the txt files?"

How do I find "the txt files?"
If I remember doing mine correctly(long time ago) they were in the app itself. On ios i had to use itunes and then select app, then select the app(dji in my case) and then look at the files, then select and copy them to be uploaded to the program here called Phantomhelp.com/uploads i believe.

Here it is........Please upload your flight log here and then post a link back here.

If I remember doing mine correctly(long time ago) they were in the app itself. On ios i had to use itunes and then select app, then select the app(dji in my case) and then look at the files, then select and copy them to be uploaded to the program here called Phantomhelp.com/uploads i believe.

Here it is........Please upload your flight log here and then post a link back here.

I wasn't running the DJI Go app during the flight, so there wouldn't be any logs there. I posted the logs I had a couple pages back.

It's a good thing he's in LA and you're in FL. Should be a big enough "buffer" zone.

If he hit your car, kids or whatever with his car, 4 wheeler, bicycle, park flyer he'd pay dearly too.

Morality police. You could join the altitude enforcement agency as well. Typical FOG

SD

It's not about morality.

" on the left edge of the driveway is my P4 (upside down) and in the bottom-right corner are the pieces of my battery. " (from the OP).

Do you really believe this is acceptable?

It's not about morality.

" on the left edge of the driveway is my P4 (upside down) and in the bottom-right corner are the pieces of my battery. " (from the OP).

Do you really believe this is acceptable?
Yeah, **** happens. People get in accidents with cars, bicycles, 4 wheelers, tricycles, Power Wheels, roller skates, jogging, etc. I don't tell them to do their thing out in the desert, or stop giving us a bad name because there was an accident? It was at night. A smaller chance of affecting a human being (really that's all I care about, other stuff is material). I pass way more automobiles than drones, but I don't feel the need to rubberneck and tell them to take their driving elsewhere because they made a mistake?????

I was teaching my daughter how to ride her bicycle the other day. She wiped out in the neighbors lawn. I'd tell you to 1st mind your own business, and then go f*** yourself if you said to me what you typed.

Like I said, typical FOG mentality.

SD

Yeah, **** happens. People get in accidents with cars, bicycles, 4 wheelers, tricycles, Power Wheels, roller skates, jogging, etc. I don't tell them to do their thing out in the desert, or stop giving us a bad name because there was an accident? It was at night. A smaller chance of affecting a human being (really that's all I care about, other stuff is material). I pass way more automobiles than drones, but I don't feel the need to rubberneck and tell them to take their driving elsewhere because they made a mistake?????

I was teaching my daughter how to ride her bicycle the other day. She wiped out in the neighbors lawn. I'd tell you to 1st mind your own business, and then go f*** yourself if you said to me what you typed.

Like I said, typical FOG mentality.

SD
You are obviously very dense. My original post wasn't directed at you, but you chose to attack my post. Have a nice day.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair