Aerial Freaks Cyclops Vision Brushless Gimbal

DKDarkness said:
If you can take a photo of the board from both sides, maybe we can find the solder points?

Here is a schematic layout of the board (the green colored one). I noticed 2 terminal pins on my board with nothing connected. On the color diagram it looks like this is for a 2-wire momentary button (yellow arrow). Could it be that rather than a soldered micro-button, they opted for an external removable button?

Attachments

• BGC SchematicsJPG.jpg
    BGC SchematicsJPG.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 1,112
So mine has arrived to US address and now I have to wait a week the guy to bring it to Europe. I just wanna know have you guys performed the IMU 6point calibration too after installation? Have you also balanced the gimbal before fine tuned? What about phantom balancing? I can't wait to get it. I also ordered the Vision+ original landing gear which is taller and should bring better clearance.

Dave,
6 point calibration wasnt necessary for me, only regular accelerometer and gyro.
but physically balancing gimbal is quite important i think. the arm and camera tray are adjustable. you can also lower the arm slightly to achieve clearance for camera ears that can typically hit the upper plate. with your landing gear its no problem.

phynesse said:
Dave,
6 point calibration wasnt necessary for me, only regular accelerometer and gyro.
but physically balancing gimbal is quite important i think. the arm and camera tray are adjustable. you can also lower the arm slightly to achieve clearance for camera ears that can typically hit the upper plate. with your landing gear its no problem.

Thanks. In general what tells me that 6point calibration is needed or not? Is it only when one of the axis is not well leveled (horizontally or vertically) or does it impact anything else? I wonder if the guys at Aerial Freaks tune it individually or just load some given PID values. I guess they dont spend much time tweaking it up.

i wish i knew how to tell if it is needed haha :)
i read in a forum that typically normal calibration is enough. My gimbal was delivered reacting totally wrong and normal calibration completely fixed it for me. Also the question is how to do it. Isnt the gyro inside camera? Would be hard to really position it in 6 positions..

Setting default pitch position after power-on?

Does anyone know if / how it is possible to set the default position for the gimbal, namely the pitch?

when i power on, camera seems to pitch to halfway between the min/max values declared in SimpleBGC software, meaning it is looking down quite a bit. Thats a problem for me with normal landing gear - i can only set copter on ground when camera is facing straight forward. So at the moment i have to wait until copter is paired with app etc etc, holding it in one hand.... and finally raise the cam through app.

Anyone have same issue & know a solution through software?
thanks
Seb

I did this in the gimbal setting in the assistant software as I had the same problem. However I've just looked in the advance tab in Gimbal and its different now. There used to be an upper/lower limit, then a center value which you changed to set the default position. Now it seems to be upper/lower limit and a gain setting which of course should be zero. No idea where the option has gone now.

Re: Setting default pitch position after power-on?

phynesse said:
Does anyone know if / how it is possible to set the default position for the gimbal, namely the pitch?

when i power on, camera seems to pitch to halfway between the min/max values declared in SimpleBGC software, meaning it is looking down quite a bit. Thats a problem for me with normal landing gear - i can only set copter on ground when camera is facing straight forward. So at the moment i have to wait until copter is paired with app etc etc, holding it in one hand.... and finally raise the cam through app.

thanks
Seb

If the gimbal is running the SimpleBGC software, there is an option in the [RC Settings] tab for PITCH MIN.ANGLE and MAX.ANGLE you could play with? Setting these to 0 and 90 works for me (angle mode).

Attachments

• Udklip.PNG
    Udklip.PNG
    81.9 KB · Views: 672
Ok, I'm a little new at the technical aspects of fine tuning this gimble, but what is the difference between "HIGH-FREQUENCY OSCILLATIONS" & "LOW-FREQUENCY OSCILLATIONS"?? And how do you tell which is which? I thought I had the gimble perfectly calibrated, but when I launch the Phantom, the camera/gimble begin to oscillate or shake just a little. I don't know if it is compensating for the vibrations of the props or motors during flight or what. When on the ground, there is no oscillation at all (that I can see), and the camera is perfectly level. Should I be changing any P.I.D values? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Setting default pitch position after power-on?

DKDarkness said:
phynesse said:

thanks
Seb

If the gimbal is running the SimpleBGC software, there is an option in the [RC Settings] tab for PITCH MIN.ANGLE and MAX.ANGLE you could play with? Setting these to 0 and 90 works for me (angle mode).

i ve checked again, and gimbal will stay exactly at half-way between max/min angle at power-on. so of course i can change max/min, but then gimbal will have excessive travel upwards.
32bit software actually has a value INIT.ANGLE (=initial angle at power-on), but it is greyed out. i ve manually inserted XML tag into config and loaded it, but gimbal ignores it.
so only way is to change max/min i guess... or get tall landign gear.

phynesse said:
DKDarkness said:
phynesse said:

thanks
Seb

i ve checked again, and gimbal will stay exactly at half-way between max/min angle at power-on. so of course i can change max/min, but then gimbal will have excessive travel upwards.
32bit software actually has a value INIT.ANGLE (=initial angle at power-on), but it is greyed out. i ve manually inserted XML tag into config and loaded it, but gimbal ignores it.
so only way is to change max/min i guess... or get tall landign gear.
Have u tried to change the setting in Phantom assisstant? There is a default position setting in gimbal tab

no i havent! good idea, i ll try, but am doubtful :)

Hi,

I have chinese gimbal with SIMPLEBGC mainboard, was playing with settings in SimpleBGC 2.2 software and accidentally restored them to default and my gimbal is all shaky now,
Does anyone can provide me a Profile export file for the gimbal, so I can restore the setting that were there before?
Please help

thanks

You can find the SimpleBGC 2.2b2 config file for the MotorPixie here: https://sites.google.com/site/motor...ni SimpleBGC 2.2b2.profile?attredirects=0&d=1

Be sure to backup your current config first, as the settings could be way off for your gimbal. Motor settings are very low due to perfect balance. If your gimbal is not in perfect balance, you might be forced to increase the power to the motors from 35 to up to 130.

Be sure to make a note of your IMUs orientation (in the software) before loading the settings.

phynesse said:
no i havent! good idea, i ll try, but am doubtful :)

Hi folks, hi Seb!

First of all because like Seb ( we are members in another German forum and met there in a thread about the Cyclops gimbal) I am a fresh owner of this nice upgrade for my P2
and just working on the fine tuning. My hardware installation was on Friday night, my first test flights today, followed by a couple of SimpleBGC configuration.
So here is my setting in DJI assistant software with the result of horizontal camera position with no pitch when I start my Phantom.

For SimpleBGC I use the RC settings Pitch Min./Max. Angle -30/+90.
This will allow a straight camera view if tilt control in the Android app is on top and a maximum ground view if tilt control is in lowest position.
I'm happy with this.

fly safely

Lem

Attachments

• assistant_gimbal.jpg
    assistant_gimbal.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 558
...and hi again!

First of all I like to thank all the participants of this thread for their questions and answers, their investigations and testing and publishing their results. They gave me a lot of help and ideas in my starting phase to get control over the Cyclops which I think is a nice product in the rare world of Vision gimbals using the original F200 camera. It will improve the results of video shootings by far.
After a long phase of decision finding...lol I started with my Phantom about 6 weeks ago...I decided to buy the Cyclops. I checked all the other options ( Taco, Rotorpixel, Dronexpets, China cheaps etc.) and their pro and cons but at the end I think this was the best choice for me.
Now my first impressions...
- unboxing: solid CNC works, gives a reliable impression, insufficient manual so it's better to download the colored pdf version, no missing parts
- installation was bit tricky with all these parts moving around in all directions...finger acrobatics to mount the dampers...I used to follow the manual and fixed the 3 screw through the carbon plate to the CNC holder from bottom up
- I was one of the victims to lower the pitch arm to prevent the camera "ears", especially the left one as viewed from the front, bouncing against the carbon holder
- at the end the whole construction was nicely balanced out of the box including the mounted filter holder, no extra work to do
- I ran into one trap...to get a nice clean setup I put the tilt plug connection into the chassis...the result: the battery pack was blocked and didn't get in place...had to detach two dampers and replace the plug connectioni outside
After the hardware was done I started the BGC GUI, my board has already the latest firmware. I loaded the AerialFreak default profile ( "new setting.zip" from this thread) and made my first flight tests and video on Saturday.
The result: gimbal works as designed ^^, no problems with unusual movemenst or bouncing. Now I want to check the videos for vibrations, jitter and jello and start playing around with the settings in combination with all your
informations and testing.

fly safely

Lem

Hi all,

Is anyone having a problem with the cyclops causing the vision to show critical battery at 56%? I have tried all 3 of my batteries and they all start flashing red and start a auto land around 56%. Am I missing something? Good gimbal but 8-10 min flight time isn't going to cut it. Please lend me your thoughts!!!

People are experiencing low battery warnings around 40% in the last couple of weeks. Everybody is blaming the batteries. I say it is a software glitch. Everybody can't suddenly have gimbal/battery problems at the exact same time?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl