Advice Wanted, P3A

Reaction score
So, I purchased my DJI Phantom 3 Advanced September 28th, it flew WONDERFULLY for the first 2 weeks, until this week i have started to notice some issues.

Basically, the first thing i noticed about a week ago is when doing full speed or mid speed descents the phantom 3 wobbles moderately, looking like it may go down, i do very low speed or descents slightly to the right rear or from or right now to avoid this. Additionally, starting a few days ago i noticed while flying i have my phantom full speed forward, while moving forward it moves also to the left or right (whichever way it feels like crookedly flying that day), it has started to get worst starting yesterday as now while flying straight (stick only directly forward) or was also going 90 degrees to the right! I am sure this is not normal, as i searched the forums and no other issues like it!

Additionally today, I noticed a new issue, while moving forward from a takeoff & moving up, about 600 feet out i got a error on the screen & could see the phantom rapidly rocking side to side & back to back, seemingly about to crash! The error read GPS Error, please exit GPS mode, luckily i quickly switched to ATTI mode & came in for a safe landing! I thought it was a fluke, so i powered down & tried again with the same occurrence. Keep in mind i did all proper calibrations & the right way previous to flight, NO metal objects around.

Please keep in mind, i take great care of my P3A & NO crashed to date, only a few flights!

The advice i am seeking, is that i purchased my P3A from Amazon, amazon was the shipper & a authorized seller was the seller, i have a 30 day return policy that i am still within, my P3A is the one with the new motors, body, & board, if i return & file for a replacement, what are my chances of getting another newer model & what are the chances of getting a old one? If i order from the same seller, are my chances good of getting a newer model? Also, should i just file for a replacement thru amazon & get a new one if wanted within a few days, or send this same one to DJI for evaluation & repair? Any advice/HELP is much appreciated!

If you can reproduce all those problems all the time then personally I would consider a replacement. The chances are very good that you'll get a p3a with the new motors. I bought my p3 a from Amazon over month and a half ago and it came with new motors.

If you can reproduce all those problems all the time then personally I would consider a replacement. The chances are very good that you'll get a p3a with the new motors. I bought my p3 a from Amazon over month and a half ago and it came with new motors.

How do you know if you have new the motors or not?

The flying crooked, & rapidly wobbling on full & mid speed descents are an all the time thing, as of a week or so ago, the compass error is a new occurrence, that was reproduced on a second flight. Does it sound like i surely have a defective phantom?

Its calibrations. I think the rocking back and forth is just in your head but hard to say without seeing a video of it. Also the wind was very intense lately in the MW, espcially today which would explain the crooked flying. The better the calibrations the less crooked it will fly as well.

Ive found that 20mph winds is about as much as the bird can handle as far as flying straight

Its calibrations. I think the rocking back and forth is just in your head but hard to say without seeing a video of it. Also the wind was very intense lately in the MW, espcially today which would explain the crooked flying. The better the calibrations the less crooked it will fly as well.

Ive found that 20mph winds is about as much as the bird can handle as far as flying straight
The maximum wind today, where i am was 6 MPH, and up in the sky out in the open about 10 at most, all calibrations, IMU, compass were done previous to the flight & properly done.

Also, the rocking happens every descent as of a few weeks ago, it happened the first time coming down full speed, then i tried 75% & that stopped it until a weeks ago, now at half throttle descent it still does it. The phantom a day ago during a mild mid way descent almost flipped, it rocked so badly. Keep in mind, no warnings on my phone at all until today, which is strange.

So go to Healthy Drones and do some flight analysis.
I did, it didn't even show the errors i was seeing?

Surely, the errors were there, the craft nearly toppled over and forced me to enter ATTI mode, ATTI mode saved it, & allowed me to come in for a emergency landing....

Then go to: Tech Support | DJI
Click on the blue Phantom Online Tech Support icon in the upper right of the screen and talk to DJI support.
They will want you to upload flight data so they can analyse your Phantom's behaviour and advise the proper course of action.

Could the wobbling be perhaps due to an unbalanced/crooked prop? Try swapping with the other set of props?

I just got off the phone with an Amazon rep, they processed a replacement with next day shipping, luckily the 30 day return policy renews so i will have time to test & make sure the new one has no issues as well. Thanks everyone for the advice & help!

I would gladly take the DJI Support route, but since im running out of time on my 30 day return, i would rather get a replacement ASAP rather then waiting up to 4 weeks for a DJI RMA.

I just got off the phone with an Amazon rep, they processed a replacement with next day shipping, luckily the 30 day return policy renews so i will have time to test & make sure the new one has no issues as well. Thanks everyone for the advice & help!

I would gladly take the DJI Support route, but since im running out of time on my 30 day return, i would rather get a replacement ASAP rather then waiting up to 4 weeks for a DJI RMA.

yea amazon rocks. i just got my refund for a P3A i sent back last week.

2 different cracks underneath the motors. I bought it on amazon and was sent the original model I believe. oldest shell with old motors

2 different cracks underneath the motors. I bought it on amazon and was sent the original model I believe. oldest shell with old motors
Gotcha, did you return, refund, get another or are you waiting on your next purchase? I am sorry to hear you had stress cracks, luckily you bought through Amazon or you would sure have a headache on your hands with DJI Support! My new one will be here tomorrow, per the representative i get another 30 day return policy starting again on day of delivery, do you know if this is true? A supervisor informed me of this, which made it more believable for me, but i would still like to confirm if possible.

Last edited:
Gotcha, did you return, refund, get another or are you waiting on your next purchase? I am sorry to hear you had stress cracks, luckily you bought through Amazon or you would sure have a headache on your hands with DJI Support! My new one will be here tomorrow, per the representative i get another 30 day return policy starting again on day of delivery, do you know if this is true? A supervisor informed me of this, which made it more believable for me, but i would still like to confirm if possible.
I returned it and bought one direct from DJI. I am not sure on the extra 30 days but I would imagine that is true

My P3A wouldn't fly straight either, always drifted to the left or right. I downgraded the FW from 1.4 to 1.3.2, now it flies as straight as an arrow. I've never had the other issues that you mentioned though.

My P3A wouldn't fly straight either, always drifted to the left or right. I downgraded the FW from 1.4 to 1.3.2, now it flies as straight as an arrow. I've never had the other issues that you mentioned though.
Thanks for the tip! I just got my replacement & it fly's straight as a whistle! Also, no rocking on descent or GPS errors, the battery that came with it, unfortunately the third light on the LED display is just blinking while charging, any idea what that means?

Thanks for the tip! I just got my replacement & it fly's straight as a whistle! Also, no rocking on descent or GPS errors, the battery that came with it, unfortunately the third light on the LED display is just blinking while charging, any idea what that means?
Jeeez no good luck for you!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl