Actual max height?

That is not FAA nor is it law.
Know before you fly say follow AMA, LOL they are a joke
Media said Hillary won too....

Clearly you are not familiar with the laws.

Here it is direct from the FAA website.

Unmanned Aircraft Systems

Summary of small UAS rule*

I have studied the FAA laws and also have passed Part 107. In general 400ft is the limit, period (in the US). If you have passed part 107 you could fly higher, with a waiver. Flying high for the **** of it is unsafe. It is everyone's responsibility to abide by the rules and fly safely. They were not just put in place for no reason.

Just sayin ...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
[QUOTE="Robert Smith jr, post: 1066136, member: 50797"I have studied the FAA laws and also have passed Part 107. In general 400ft is the limit, period (in the US). If you have passed part 107 you could fly higher, with a waiver. Flying high for the **** of it is unsafe. It is everyone's responsibility to abide by the rules and fly safely. They were not just put in place for no reason.

Just sayin ...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots[/QUOTE]

Likewise.

I have studied the FAA laws and also have passed Part 107. In general 400ft is the limit, period (in the US). If you have passed part 107 you could fly higher, with a waiver. Flying high for the hell of it is unsafe. It is everyone's responsibility to abide by the rules and fly safely. They were not just put in place for no reason.

Just sayin ...

It all depends on your location. Flying higher than 400 ft is NOT unsafe and it is not the limit.

Reactions: Apilot101
I have studied the FAA laws and also have passed Part 107. In general 400ft is the limit, period (in the US). If you have passed part 107 you could fly higher, with a waiver. Flying high for the hell of it is unsafe. It is everyone's responsibility to abide by the rules and fly safely. They were not just put in place for no reason.

Just sayin ...

This all applies if you have the 107. Not everyone does.

Just sayin ...

Again, this applies if you are Part 107 certified, not for recreational use as noted in Section 336 of P.L. 112-95.

Does the new Small UAS Rule (part 107) apply to recreational UAS operations?
Part 107 does not apply to UAS flown strictly for fun (hobby or recreational purposes) as long as these unmanned aircraft are flown in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Section 336 of P.L. 112-95). Visit our "Fly for Fun" webpage for safety rules and guidelines that apply to recreational UAS operations. The small UAS rule codifies the provisions of section 336 in part 101 of the FAA's regulations, which will prohibit operating a UAS in manner that endangers the safety of the National Airspace System.

• The boogie man scare tactics don't work any more.
  • If You are worried about FAA then don't do it.
  • I am and will interpret those as guidelines not law..
Meanwhile.......
48478507.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: HWCM
I am not worried about the FAA, as I abide by the rules. I am more worried about folks ruining the hobby for everyone or posing a serious threat to a manned aircraft by NOT abiding by the rules (which are pretty clear), and I am not talking about Part 107, I am talking about hobby operation here.

- Supposed to contact ANY airport within a five mile radius (yes heliports too, including hospitals!)
- Supposed to stay under 400 feet

Do you have a link to the FAA letter pertaining to the AMA model height limit?
I could see an exemption applying if you were at a sanctioned AMA field, perhaps. Or in a VERY remote area.

Have you looked at a sectional chart to see if you are operating near an airport or within other controlled airspace? You make it sound like it is ok to just fly as high as you want without any regard for the location or safety which is not correct. I am assuming that you are in the US ...

Fly safe!

Reactions: Blessed77

Taking a quote from the link you provided...

"Unmanned aircraft SHOULD stay below 400 feet."

"Should" isn't a limitation for recreational operators. Is there a strong recommendation to stay below 400 feet? Absolutely, but not the rule.

Part 107 governs those that operate commercially. Part 107 operators are limited to 400 feet unless they obtain a waiver. Here is a link for your 400' rule.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Part_107_Summary.pdf

Reactions: Apilot101
So you guys really think the FAA would regulate the height for folks who actually took the time to learn about and undersand how airspace works, but they are just fine with your average Joe who just bought his first drone yesterday taking it out higher than 400ft?

Makes perfect sense...

How does the hobbyist know if it's "safe" to fly there in the first place? What actions and procedures does he take? How does he know what is right or wrong?

I am not worried about the FAA, as I abide by the rules. I am more worried about folks ruining the hobby for everyone or posing a serious threat to a manned aircraft by NOT abiding by the rules
......so tell me have you lost your license to drive a car because

• someone got in an accident?
  • drank and drove,?
  • texted while driving?
  • speeding?
  • reckless driving?
  • hit a pedestrian?
Get the point?
And since.......
I am not worried about the FAA,
why should we be worried about what you think? o_O

Im sorry, I will live my life (and fly as I feel is safe )and NOT cow down because of YOUR fears of what could happen.

No more Boogie man :D

......so tell me have you lost your license to drive a car because

• someone got in an accident?
  • drank and drove,?
  • texted while driving?
  • speeding?
  • reckless driving?
  • hit a pedestrian?
Get the point?
And since....... why should we be worried about what you think? o_O

Im sorry, I will live my life (and fly as I feel is safe )and NOT cow down because of YOUR fears of what could happen.

No more Boogie man :D

What do you know about safety?

Nothing.

You can do whatever you like.... It's your airspace apparently.

I hope you realize you are a good example of being part of the problem.

Last edited:
So you guys really think the FAA would regulate the height for folks who actually took the time to learn about and undersand how airspace works, but they are just fine with your average Joe who just bought his first drone yesterday taking it out higher than 400ft?

Makes perfect sense...

How does the hobbyist know if it's "safe" to fly there in the first place? What actions and procedures does he take? How does he know what is right or wrong?
Not only think, but know it for a fact. As mentioned it been shown to be correct time and time again. The reason there is the difference is the mandate to the FAA that they cannot completly regulate hobby use but can regulate commercial use.

Reactions: OkiePhlyer
What do you know about safety?

Nothing.

You can do whatever you like.... It's your airspace apparently.

I hope you realize you are a good example of being part of the problem.
Typical .... don't answer and redirect.

Did I say I fly higher than 400? you do not know me and what I may or may not know. Or how I just spent 3 weeks in the living room of FAA top officials house discussing it with him. Or what licenses I carry. You ASSUME that I don't know safety only because I don't agree with you. I did say that a pilot IS responsible for what they do with their drone.

Also, if I purchase a quad other than DJI that has No restrictions , am I going to jail?

So while you continue to beat this horse,... I bet your gonna be happy with me as soon as I package a step by step on what to do to unlock Phantoms up to about 19000 ft at their own risk.

Last edited:
Not only think, but know it for a fact. As mentioned it been shown to be correct time and time again. The reason there is the difference is the mandate to the FAA that they cannot completly regulate hobby use but can regulate commercial use.

And there are many threads from frustrated pros on the forums, feeling that they're being made to jump through more hoops than unregulated Part 101 flyers. Which the FAA is apparently aware of and looking at how to make the situation better, but this is still a brand-new thing for them (Part 107 has only been available for four and a half months) so I expect it will continue to be a mix-match of rules for a while.

If I were out flying around under Part 101 and for some reason decided I wanted to go over 400 feet, I would be extremely cautious about where I am and what's going on around me.

"I had a phantom 4 snap my glider wing at 150ft in it's jet wash once. So I now the drone doesn't want to be near you either."

Then don't fly your kite where adults are flying drones.

Regardless of the laws (they do vary by country) there's one tiny thing you are forgetting. Let's say you somehow get your drone up to some spectacular height. Can you get it back down?

The Phantom ascends like a rocket so it's easy to get it up to ridiculous heights in no time at all. But it descends very very slowly. If you have 20 min of flight time and you spend 10 min going up, and 10 min coming back down, your little guy will only be about 1/3 back to the ground. It will get stuck in the air. :)

Well not entirely accurate. It will definitely come all the way down. It just won't do it under power.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka