Actual max height?

Check out the faa page Getting Started Chart clearly makes the distinction between hobby and Part 107 altitude limits. one of the community based organizations recognized is the AMA and their safety guidelines only limit flights to below 400 ft when within 3 miles of an airport.

This is one of the issues with the AMA.. they want to make it look like their Association is much more than it is. What is a "Community Based Organization"? The FAA only states that the AMA can be one. What this really means is that a local organization can set rules, within the FAA regulations that regulate operators under their control. For example, lets say the AMA sets up a flying area or a competition. Part of the rules for operating on their managed property is that flyers not fly faster than 25mph. If you want to fly at that location or be a member of the AMA at that location, then they can set those local rules. However, because the regulations allow a CBO to set rules in _no way_ makes those rules apply to people that the CBO has no control over. For example, the AMA can make a rule that no one can fly above 10' or faster than 2mph. That rule would only apply to AMA members, the AMA does not make national regulations or laws. They have _no control_ over non-AMA members and people not operating on property under AMA control. The AMA only states that the FAA has ruled that the AMA is a CBO. That is fine... but it really does not say much.

Reactions: Apilot101
Ok, I read the letter. It states that "community safety guidelines" should be adhered to. OP says he doesn't follow ANY organizations rules. Wow, he must be some kind of expert!

Good luck to you my friend. I guess anything is legal till someone gets hurt or a major incident occurs and you get caught. You have made your point clear that you will not follow any guidance or safety rules from ANY agency, which speaks volumes.

I would encourage any new folks here to read up on best practices and safety guidelines and follow them rather than this reckless person who thinks he knows
better than anyone else.

I was only referring to my experience and history of reading the rules and guidelines (I registered as a hobbyist last year and passed 107 in September) and was trying to clarify the initial question.

The phantom can go plenty high. High enough to hurt someone if control is lost and high enough to cause
danger to manned aircraft if rules/guidelines/common sense are not followed.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Blessed77
Hobbyist do not need a license.

Sent from my Pixel XL using PhantomPilots mobile app
In the US they do, depending on the size of the UAS. ($5.00).

FAA Part 107 Remote Drone Pilot License Resources | 3D Robotics - Drone & UAV Technologydrone-registration-rules/

1. Registration is mandatory in the United States.
  2. You must register before your first flight.
  3. Users must be at least 13 to register online.
  4. The registration fee is $5. ...
  5. Register your drone directly through the FAA.
More items...

My apologies in advance to the pilots who are flying safely and trying to good airmen: A little rant about the rules.

I'm reading back over the threads (snot nosed [62 year old, retired senior IT Security Fed, Retired Air Force female kid that I am]), and it seems as if you are either making up the rules as you go along...or you couldn't be bothered with them because you are above them. Oh believe me, been there, seen that, and suffered under it.

Sometimes people call this Operational Defiance Disorder. An FBI profiler named Joe Navarro has another name for it: "Predatory narcissism": in his book "Dangerous Personalities". In any case, I don't want fly anywhere near you--I don't even want to know you.

It never once occurs to you about the WHYs of the 400 feet rule is in important: IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU, IT'S ABOUT THEM (the manned aircraft pilots and the passenger safety).

Your attitude is nothing new. We studied a case like you in Air War College where a REAL airplane pilot... a really arrogant SOB B-52 pilot named Bud Holland overflew the limits (continually) on his B-52 to the point where NOBODY on his crew would fly with him. So his command element (chiefs of divisions) flew with them instead. One (Col Wolff) was to retire the next day, and it was his "fini" flight (it sure was his 'fini' flight). Bud crashed that day and killed everyone on board in front of their families. Look at "Darker Shades of Blue" found on Google. Lists the whole sad affair. The video is on Youtube (B-52 crash at Fairchild).

Because Bud knew better and was above the rules. Maybe you simply don't know the smallest things can make the biggest planes go down. We UAS pilots should STAY out of the active airspace for THEIR SAFETY, not OUR "rights".

You can't fix stupid.

I echo Robert Smith's words: Good luck to you, and "enough said".

Attachments

• FAA_PERSONAL USE.JPG
    FAA_PERSONAL USE.JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 216
My apologies in advance to the pilots who are flying safely and trying to good airmen: A little rant about the rules.

I'm reading back over the threads (snot nosed [62 year old, retired senior IT Security Fed, Retired Air Force female kid that I am]), and it seems as if you are either making up the rules as you go along...or you couldn't be bothered with them because you are above them. Oh believe me, been there, seen that, and suffered under it.

Sometimes people call this Operational Defiance Disorder. An FBI profiler named Joe Navarro has another name for it: "Predatory narcissism": in his book "Dangerous Personalities". In any case, I don't want fly anywhere near you--I don't even want to know you.

It never once occurs to you about the WHYs of the 400 feet rule is in important: IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU, IT'S ABOUT THEM (the manned aircraft pilots and the passenger safety).

Your attitude is nothing new. We studied a case like you in Air War College where a REAL airplane pilot... a really arrogant SOB B-52 pilot named Bud Holland overflew the limits (continually) on his B-52 to the point where NOBODY on his crew would fly with him. So his command element (chiefs of divisions) flew with them instead. One (Col Wolff) was to retire the next day, and it was his "fini" flight (it sure was his 'fini' flight). Bud crashed that day and killed everyone on board in front of their families. Look at "Darker Shades of Blue" found on Google. Lists the whole sad affair. The video is on Youtube (B-52 crash at Fairchild).

Because Bud knew better and was above the rules. Maybe you simply don't know the smallest things can make the biggest planes go down. We UAS pilots should STAY out of the active airspace for THEIR SAFETY, not OUR "rights".

You can't fix stupid.

I echo Robert Smith's words: Good luck to you, and "enough said".
You are missing the point. Go back and re-read this thread. Or not...

Sent from my Pixel XL using PhantomPilots mobile app

Ok, I read the letter. It states that "community safety guidelines" should be adhered to. OP says he doesn't follow ANY organizations rules. Wow, he must be some kind of expert!

I don't see that the OP stated that. I think you are actually referring to Apiolt101... and he did not say that either. You may be referring to his statement that he does not follow AMA guidelines as he's not an AMA member. Perfectly acceptable. I belong to the American Kite Fliers... do you follow their guidelines when you fly a kite?

Good luck to you my friend. I guess anything is legal till someone gets hurt or a major incident occurs and you get caught. You have made your point clear that you will not follow any guidance or safety rules from ANY agency, which speaks volumes.

I don't see anyone stating that they fly recklessly or condoning it. This seems to be a reaction to an incorrect assertion that the FAA did not allow hobby flights over 400'. Personally, I don't see most of this as any issue. It's one thing to know and abide by the rules, it's another to to educate people on these things and it's yet another to criticize people when they don't follow them. There are millions of drones being flown... how many people are getting into trouble? Millions of vehicles are driven every day. They injure and kill people every day when people do dumb things. Difference is, the media does not blow vehicle use out of proportion as it's not "news".

Part of the problem is that some posts are factually stating the incorrect assertions of flying over 400' and other people automatically thinking that those people are automatically careless in their flights. If I fly 400' I'm perfectly safe but when I go to 401' I'm unsafe? Yup, kind of dumb blanket statement. It's not like every situation, even flying at 50' could be dangerous, right.

Personally, I choose not to judge other people and their flights. I have no doubt that many of the people in this thread who are proponents to always flying under 400' fly out of VLOS. Not sure how they justify that. Of course, it's a fine line in explaining what is safe and not safe to someone, answering those questions and simply wanting to kick someone in the butt for being an idiot.

I have seen enough of these posts.
FAA guidelines are just that, GUIDELINES, not laws. No police no FAA agents, no FBI is going to be breaking down your door because you flew too high.
The reason this rule exists is because manned aircraft are required to stay above 400 ft and they don't want drones and planes to mix.
If you hit a plane while you are up there, yes you will be 100% at fault, but if you are a responsible pilot who can actively watch for other aircraft or have a spotter to watch for aircraft, there is no reason you can't be up there.

...The reason this rule exists is because manned aircraft are required to stay above 400 ft and they don't want drones and planes to mix.
If you hit a plane while you are up there, yes you will be 100% at fault, but if you are a responsible pilot who can actively watch for other aircraft or have a spotter to watch for aircraft, there is no reason you can't be up there.

Actually manned aircraft can fly lower than 400' AGL. Here's a section from the Part 91 flight rules.
14 CFR 91.119
(c)Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

A few years back I flew pipeline patrol, and regularly flew at 200' AGL. For hours. For hundreds of miles. Legally.

Ok. How'd you do that?
Roll back your firmware to 1.4 and use an earlier version of Litchi. And yes it is possible to roll back more than 1 FW.

I was going to put together a step by step how to, but am delaying due to guys are working on a modified version of 1.7 . They are attempting to unlock even more possibilities. I'll start a separate thread on that topic soon, or add links to my signature on how to.

We get helicopters overhead sometimes and with my flight radar app I can see their altitude. Last week we had a care flight chopper heading to a major hospital go overhead at ......700 ft !!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
We get helicopters overhead sometimes and with my flight radar app I can see their altitude. Last week we had a care flight chopper heading to a major hospital go overhead at ......700 ft !!!!!
Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
I estimate a helicopter passing directly over some 70ft trees at less than 400ft whilst I was waiting to takeoff the other day - it scared the bejeesus out of me. That single incident is the reason I now have the maximum height set at 300ft here in London.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31