Actual max height?

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I read on line with DJI that the Specs for the P3A and Pro was approximately 6000M or 19k feet. Is that right, or even close? Sorry if I haven't read the part in my owners manual on how to ...allow that, because mine hit about 300 or so feet and told me "maximum height" and wouldn't go further.

Thanks for any info.

Jay

6000m, that is the operational ceiling, i.e. air density requirement estimation.

500m is max from take-off point.

You need to change the max height in the app.

Yes, that means you can't fly it on the everest summit after hauling it up there on your back. not much over the last base camp altitude I would think.
cold air would be denser, so you might get 6002M if really cold, but batteries would even it out since they hate the cold.
but 6000M - 500M = hope you bring an oxygen tank to breath with.

flying inside spaceX craft could get you to 20 miles maybe. wouldn't even need the motors most of the "flight". Do you think dji programmers envisioned 1 rpm while gps says drone is flying twice the speed of sound?

Reactions: NoBiffBetter
We have other means of finding our way home.......... :)

ok, even if the stewardess wants to sit in your lap and look at the pretty birdie?
I had a phantom 4 snap my glider wing at 150ft in it's jet wash once. So I now the drone doesn't want to be near you either.

500 meters or 1640 feet is max height you can fly but in the United States 400 feet even though your drone can fly higher illegally.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Not correct. The 400 ft limit is a safety suggestion unless you have your licence. But a hobbyist can fly as high as 1600 ft, as long as it is safe. Meaning no air traffic.

Thanks all. One more "limit" type of question: I read that the distance our birds can fly away from us is approx 3 miles. Does that mean uninterupted line of sight, or can it go over a hill and keep going if the remote is not in direct line? What happens if you fly out of the max distance, does it "go home"?

Not correct. The 400 ft limit is a safety suggestion unless you have your licence. But a hobbyist can fly as high as 1600 ft, as long as it is safe. Meaning no air traffic.

This is not correct. At least not in the US. Where did you get 1600ft from?

You can not fly over 400ft, unless you have your license. And even then you can only fly over 400ft if it is within legal range of the building/tower/powerline you are working on/shooting. Which In this case your legal ceiling would extend an aditional 400ft above the top of that buildings tallest object. So say the building you're working on is 700ft tall, you add an aditional 400ft to that to get your legal max up to 1100 in that area. Unless of course that causes you to enter restricted airspace. Then you can't go there without a waiver.

If you have your licence you can also apply for a waiver for a specific occasion - if you want to fly above 400ft for some reason. But you will need approval, and have paperwork on you while you're up that high - as well be in communications with the closest air traffic control tower from the moment your drone takes flight, till the moment it lands (or leaves restricted airspace). And it will surely only be for a specific occasion. Not just to free for all fly at 1000ft.

Mods should close these constantly reoccurring debates and point to the numerous ones which have come before.
Same $#1t different actors.

Thanks all. One more "limit" type of question: I read that the distance our birds can fly away from us is approx 3 miles. Does that mean uninterupted line of sight, or can it go over a hill and keep going if the remote is not in direct line? What happens if you fly out of the max distance, does it "go home"?

Line of sight pretty much.

Your drone might fly 10kft in an open field with no objects.. but only 1500ft in s crowded area, or around a bunch of trees/buildings/interference.

And your drone will warn you when your battery is getting to the point of no return.

If you lose signal while its that far out, it will simply engage Return to Home.

Reactions: jpilk99
My car has a top speed of 130mph. But due to speed restrictions in the UK, the fastest I can legally drive it on public roads is 70mph. It could, theoretically, go faster but I would probably lose my license if caught doing so repeatedly. This could be applied to UAV height and distance. And what would probably happen if you abused the law repeatedly.

Reactions: moflyer and N017RW
This is not correct. At least not in the US. Where did you get 1600ft from?

You can not fly over 400ft, unless you have your license. And even then you can only fly over 400ft if it is within legal range of the building/tower/powerline you are working on/shooting. Which In this case your legal ceiling would extend an aditional 400ft above the top of that buildings tallest object. So say the building you're working on is 700ft tall, you add an aditional 400ft to that to get your legal max up to 1100 in that area. Unless of course that causes you to enter restricted airspace. Then you can't go there without a waiver.

If you have your licence you can also apply for a waiver for a specific occasion - if you want to fly above 400ft for some reason. But you will need approval, and have paperwork on you while you're up that high - as well be in communications with the closest air traffic control tower from the moment your drone takes flight, till the moment it lands (or leaves restricted airspace). And it will surely only be for a specific occasion. Not just to free for all fly at 1000ft.
You have it backwards, If you have your license you are limited to 400 ft, hobbyist can fly as high as safely possible.
The 1600 ft is the Phantoms software limit.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen