About to Order My First Drone

Congrats! Welcome to Phantom Pilots :)

Reactions: trevornewkirk
Finally saved up enough, about to order my first drone, a P4P. So excited! I'm a long time hobbyist photographer, that's been wanting a drone for the longest time. The wait is going to kill me.
Your gonna freak man! What has been done with these machines in last 2 1/2 years blows me away! And I'm a pro photog of 31 years which really don't mean **** but. I am pretty picky about image quality. LOL. Have fun and learn learn and practice easy stuff first. Youtube and this forum have been a huge help to me with Phantoms. And I've also been flying RC since I was 11 years old too. Still lot to learn.

Your gonna freak man! What has been done with these machines in last 2 1/2 years blows me away! And I'm a pro photog of 31 years which really don't mean **** but. I am pretty picky about image quality. LOL. Have fun and learn learn and practice easy stuff first. Youtube and this forum have been a huge help to me with Phantoms. And I've also been flying RC since I was 11 years old too. Still lot to learn.

I had to jump for the P4P because of the improved sensor. The quality looks great! I've been watching a ton of youtube and been haunting this forum for quite awhile now. I suspect none of that will stop.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Yes, it is definitely a nice quadcopter. You are really going to enjoy it.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
I run my own business. You can check out my website at PhantomHelp.com.

Hi Trevor, I just ordered my first drone today - a Phantom 4 Pro - mainly because of the 1 inch sensor. Same as you - it's going to kill me waiting for it to arrive. Might wind up with similar obituaries ;)

I ordered mine through Amazon because (today only) Smile Amazon is giving 5% of your purchase price to your favorite charity. Normally, they only give 1/2 of 1%.

Dave

I had to jump for the P4P because of the improved sensor. The quality looks great! I've been watching a ton of youtube and been haunting this forum for quite awhile now. I suspect none of that will stop.

I bought the Mavic Pro thinking the camera would be "good enough" under the "the camera you have with you" principle. Well, that camera, in its sweet spot is quite good to be sure. But outside its sweet spot it falls down fast.

So, minutes ago I ordered the P4P and I too can't wait to get it. Also got 2 extra batteries, 2 sets of props (ya never know) and a multi charger and an ND8 filter.

That's something you will need. At least an ND 8, maybe a 16 or 32. So order one now while waiting. (Others can opine on which brand...)

Why am I impatient? Because I sent the Mavic Pro to have its "soft on the left" camera repaired or replaced. It's not even arrived at Carson, CA yet ...

Cheers - and as someone above said: DL the manual, do the YouTubes and the forum here in the meantime to learn as much as possible before you get it!

Hi Trevor, I just ordered my first drone today - a Phantom 4 Pro - mainly because of the 1 inch sensor. Same as you - it's going to kill me waiting for it to arrive. Might wind up with similar obituaries ;)

I ordered mine through Amazon because (today only) Smile Amazon is giving 5% of your purchase price to your favorite charity. Normally, they only give 1/2 of 1%.

Dave

I always use smile.amazon.com I'm a water supporter, how about you? Thanks for the heads up!

I bought the Mavic Pro thinking the camera would be "good enough" under the "the camera you have with you" principle. Well, that camera, in its sweet spot is quite good to be sure. But outside its sweet spot it falls down fast.

So, minutes ago I ordered the P4P and I too can't wait to get it. Also got 2 extra batteries, 2 sets of props (ya never know) and a multi charger and an ND8 filter.

That's something you will need. At least an ND 8, maybe a 16 or 32. So order one now while waiting. (Others can opine on which brand...)

Why am I impatient? Because I sent the Mavic Pro to have its "soft on the left" camera repaired or replaced. It's not even arrived at Carson, CA yet ...

Cheers - and as someone above said: DL the manual, do the YouTubes and the forum here in the meantime to learn as much as possible before you get it!

That's great info! I'll get all the goodies in time. And yes, there's so much raving about the Mavic online, it's hard not to second guess spending the extra dough for the P4P. But as a photographer, i know the sensor is almost everything.

Last edited:
I always use smile.amazon.com I'm a water supporter, how about you? Thanks for the heads up!

I support a Texas charity that cares for abused and abandoned children. I was on their Board of Trustees for about 16 years, but retired last year. After I learn how to use my P4P, I'll probably take it over there and do some drone video (and stills) for them to use in their marketing. I will plan to get my commercial license thru Part 107 first, so no one can question whether it's hobby or commercial. I used to be an FAA licensed glider pilot (full size, not RC), so I know how to read FAA Sectional charts, so the test should be relatively easy (at least the tests online have been).

I support a Texas charity that cares for abused and abandoned children. I was on their Board of Trustees for about 16 years, but retired last year. After I learn how to use my P4P, I'll probably take it over there and do some drone video (and stills) for them to use in their marketing. I will plan to get my commercial license thru Part 107 first, so no one can question whether it's hobby or commercial. I used to be an FAA licensed glider pilot (full size, not RC), so I know how to read FAA Sectional charts, so the test should be relatively easy (at least the tests online have been).

That's awesome!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl