A Successful Calibration does not always mean a Good Calibration

Your best bet would be to go somewhere quite far from metal, and redo the calibration. Then try again to fly from where you are describing. Before much longer, i THINK that if the warning pops up it wont let you fly at all.

Reactions: Mike Mauk
Yards are no guarantee for freedom from metals. Think sewer pipes, sprinklers, and gold!
Def look to calibrate in a field or something close to it.

These opinions stated are just that, my opinions. Your mileage may vary.

ok hope I am not jumping in where I shouldn't be but I am new. Every time I get ready to fly my phantom3 advanced it wants me to calibrate the compass sometimes it works the first time but sometimes it is really hard to find a place and get it done. this is in my same place as I have flown the same day. so can I just ignore the calibrate compass on the app or what? It says it is safe to fly GPS on the top middle of the app thanks for the help and if it has been answered just don't respond that is fine I will get the answer elsewhere, thanks
ok just read the thread again and I do realize the compass calibration does not need to be done in the same place every flight then why does it tell me to do it on the app?
I was referring to not recalibrate just because you feel like it. Many people are re calibrating even if the phantom does not ask for it. And by the way, when you move more than a 100 miles from your last calibration point, the app will not tell you you need to calibrate. You need to initiate that.

Now your situation is different. You are being requested to recalibrate at the same place every time.
I can think of a few reasons:
1. Your previous calibration was unsuccessful.
2. You are moving the phantom, e.g. Holding it in your hand. Remember to first turn the controller and the app on, and only then turn the phantom on when it is on a solid surface.
3. After the drone lands, you move it to a different location. Remember to turn it off after it lands before moving it.
4.There is a magnetic interference very close to the compass. A metal roof is not a likely culprit - it is too far. The magnetic field is inversely proportional to the cube of the distance. Only metals within an inch could cause problems.

Hope this helps.

well I think I found my problem is I was staging on a little fold up table that has a plastic top but metal frame. I turned the phantom on while off the table and calibrated it then put it on the lawn and it worked!!
thanks all that helped.. I LOVE my Phantom!!

I was referring to not recalibrate just because you feel like it. Many people are re calibrating even if the phantom does not ask for it. And by the way, when you move more than a 100 miles from your last calibration point, the app will not tell you you need to calibrate. You need to initiate that.

Now your situation is different. You are being requested to recalibrate at the same place every time.
I can think of a few reasons:
1. Your previous calibration was unsuccessful.
2. You are moving the phantom, e.g. Holding it in your hand. Remember to first turn the controller and the app on, and only then turn the phantom on when it is on a solid surface.
3. After the drone lands, you move it to a different location. Remember to turn it off after it lands before moving it.
4.There is a magnetic interference very close to the compass. A metal roof is not a likely culprit - it is too far. The magnetic field is inversely proportional to the cube of the distance. Only metals within an inch could cause problems.

Hope this helps.
wow bet that was what I was doing was turning the birdon before the controller.. thanks I will copy this and have it for my pre flight check list to remember! thanks again.. where is the compass on the quad?

Mike, do like I did and just find a place nearby with none of that (buildings, cars, drives etc) around to calibrate and then it should be alright. When I calibrated across the street next to a corn field, I had no more problems.

Mike, do like I did and just find a place nearby with none of that (buildings, cars, drives etc) around to calibrate and then it should be alright. When I calibrated across the street next to a corn field, I had no more problems.

Oh NO not in the corn field [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33] LOL

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1441077054.014461.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl