A Successful Calibration does not always mean a Good Calibration

Reaction score
raryrokni, in the DJI forum verified that the Phantom 3 would tend to flip over if you land and then try to take off again after idling your motors (not killing them). see this thread: DJI Forum|Compass info that may interest you

We later figured out that it is the VPS causing this and when VPS is turned off the problem goes away. So after landing shut down motors before taking off again to be safe!

Here is video that shows the problem:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Here is one with VPS turned off:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yes, the Latest Firmware 1.3.20 and it is repeatable with at least the four of us that have tried in the DJI Forum thread. Turn VPS off and it does not happen. If you try it. Take off (With VPS On) hover a few seconds land and let motors idle down and then try to take off again (with VPS ON be very careful!) it will lift the front feet up and try to flip over if you down let off throttle. If it does not happen for you for sure after trying this, I would like to know what tablet you are using, what RC Controller version you are using.

Reactions: Joao Carlos
Yes, the Latest Firmware 1.3.20 and it is repeatable with at least the four of us that have tried in the DJI Forum thread. Turn VPS off and it does not happen. If you try it. Take off (With VPS On) hover a few seconds land and let motors idle down and then try to take off again (with VPS ON be very careful!) it will lift the front feet up and try to flip over if you down let off throttle. If it does not happen for you for sure after trying this, I would like to know what tablet you are using, what RC Controller version you are using.

I use an Air 2, with the latest of everything. The controller is the GL300A.

I never have this problem. Maybe calibrate your joysticks/RC?

I use an Air 2, with the latest of everything. The controller is the GL300A.

I never have this problem. Maybe calibrate your joysticks/RC?

It is VPS not Joysticks.

So you went out just now and tried it? Or you are just going from memory? . Mine is an iPad Mini 2 and I have version GL300B controller so there is a difference in controller version but we are both iOS

I can take mine out and fly with no problems. But.... If you just take off and hover then land (without shutting down motors) so that they are idle and you can let go of your sticks and it is sitting there. Then you try to lift off again and you can't do it without it trying to flip over and you have VPS turned on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Mauk
I do this all the time.. except I dont screw around when I take off. When its time to go... Im up and gone. Granted it looks like a problem. But why would anyone screw around when taking off? We see time an time again people talking about wind and slope affecting the craft on takeoff, and ALWAYS the simple solution is to simply take off! Full throttle to a few feet and hover. With what should become common practice for everyone, this would never be a problem behavior

Last edited:
It is VPS not Joysticks.

So you went out just now and tried it? Or you are just going from memory? . Mine is an iPad Mini 2 and I have version GL300B controller so there is a difference in controller version but we are both iOS

I can take mine out and fly with no problems. But.... If you just take off and hover then land (without shutting down motors) so that they are idle and you can let go of your sticks and it is sitting there. Then you try to lift off again and you can't do it without it trying to flip over and you have VPS turned on.

I know what you said, I always fly with VPS on and have never had a problem like you are showing.

I just suggested that you recal your joysticks. It is in the APP, hit the RC picture and go to calibrate remote, make sure you have the controller on and the bird off. hit calibrate an follow the instructions.

After you do it once for each stick and the gimbal wheel, do it again. Hit ok

I do this all the time.. except I dont screw around when I take off. When its time to go... Im up and gone. Grated it looks like a problem. But why would anyone screw around when taking off? We see time an time again people talking about wind and slope affecting the craft on takeoff, and ALWAYS the simple solution is to simply take off! Full throttle to a few feet and hover. With what should become common practice for everyone, this would never be a problem behavior

Yeah and if you went up in the air and started taking off and you saw something around you you did not like so you brought it down and landed (not killing the motors) and you would then just take off full throttle when it was clear and you would be buying new props or worse. Sorry I bothered you and I guess this post was not meant for you.

No.. I do it daily. And have never replaced a prop. I have flipped once, because I didn't take off as advised. So now I do, and have no issue. I greed that it looks like an issue, but its not something that anyone would ever see if they took off as advised. The only thing that makes this 'dangerous' is attempting to take off gently which is always a bad idea for ANYTHING that takes off vertically.

Reactions: Dimas82 and Oso
I do this all the time with no issues. I do it at least once every time I go out, but yesterday I must have done it 10 times. All with no issues or even a hint of an issue. Same as others have said, I just take off without being tentative. Not a problem at all.

Reactions: Mike Mauk
Your intent @Signal is to find other having the issue, and to inform. I get that! But the solution is to take off like your advised to take off... the same as the auto takeoff. Is it worth taking to DJI as a potential flaw.. Absolutely!! But getting pissed off at other that DON'T have a problem, that DO have a solution, isn't productive! DJI isn't going to fix anything quickly, We all know that. So make it a habit to not take off slowly and you can "fix" it yourself in the meantime.

Just for giggles.. try this. Land in P mode, with a similar bounce to what you have in your video. VPS on. Then take off in atti mode. Bet the issue goes away

Regularly land, don't kill motors and take off again without issue.

Done this on at least 4 different firmwares and VPS has always been turned on, no problems.

Reactions: bobmyers
It happened the other day for me. I took off started out over field but I noticed the postal carrier coming down the road and I knew he had something for me and did not want him bothering me while I was flying so I landed, idled motors and got the mail from him then started to take off again and it started flipping back on itself. I did not understand why until last night.

If you try this on purpose though, be careful (I would put prop guards on )
Don't know if it makes any difference but mine is a Phantom 3 Pro. iPad Mini2 and latest firmware update 1.3.20.

I guess we will just wait and see.

It happened the other day for me. I took off started out over field but I noticed the postal carrier coming down the road and I knew he had something for me and did not want him bothering me while I was flying so I landed, idled motors and got the mail from him then started to take off again and it started flipping back on itself. I did not understand why until last night.

If you try this on purpose though, be careful (I would put prop guards on )
Don't know if it makes any difference but mine is a Phantom 3 Pro. iPad Mini2 and latest firmware update 1.3.20.

I guess we will just wait and see.
Ok.. so if you take off like I, and everyone else has, mentioned... does it do a flip? or does it pop up in the air like it should?

I am not going to flip it for the heck of it but when it tilted back about 45 degrees that first time, I let off throttle just because I knew there was something wrong and also I don't like buying new props......

I really think you should try taking off like everyone is saying if only to confirm for yourself if it will resolve your issue. I used to fly electric helis and recall having major issues just taking off during the first half dozen outings without much success in even getting it into a hover. I only succeeded to hover for the first time after I got away from the tentative take off every beginner has. In fact, with the helis, you should even counter this tendency to flip left or right I don't remember using your stick even if you do the take off without hesitation.

I really think you should try taking off like everyone is saying if only to confirm for yourself if it will resolve your issue. I used to fly electric helis and recall having major issues just taking off during the first half dozen outings without much success in even getting it into a hover. I only succeeded to hover for the first time after I got away from the tentative take off every beginner has. In fact, with the helis, you should even counter this tendency to flip left or right I don't remember using your stick even if you do the take off without hesitation.
When I started flying helis.. A Blade 350 (stupid place to START!) I crashed a dozen times from exactly that. Until someone told me to man up and take off. I did and never crashed again.. taking off!

I also have issues with landing and taking off again. Mine disconnects within 30 seconds of doing so, every time. Annoying as nothing I do can reconnect to the drone

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan