A Successful Calibration does not always mean a Good Calibration

It happened the other day for me. I took off started out over field but I noticed the postal carrier coming down the road and I knew he had something for me and did not want him bothering me while I was flying so I landed, idled motors and got the mail from him then started to take off again and it started flipping back on itself. I did not understand why until last night.

If you try this on purpose though, be careful (I would put prop guards on )
Don't know if it makes any difference but mine is a Phantom 3 Pro. iPad Mini2 and latest firmware update 1.3.20.

I guess we will just wait and see.
Mine has also tried taking off on its own, except I had my hands on the controls and I stopped it. If also appeared to tipping left as it tried to lift off. if completely kill the motors and restart again, it will sit and idle until I give it throttle. It is a real issue that will have to be addressed at sometime.

Mine has also tried taking off on its own, except I had my hands on the controls and I stopped it. If also appeared to tipping left as it tried to lift off. if completely kill the motors and restart again, it will sit and idle until I give it throttle. It is a real issue that will have to be addressed at sometime.

Addressed and solved

You dont have his problem then. If you read the thread you would see that what the OP was posting is not related to what you have having happen. So, in the spirit of sticking to the subject... problem solved.

You dont have his problem then. If you read the thread you would see that what the OP was posting is not related to what you have having happen. So, in the spirit of sticking to the subject... problem solved.
The OP
"We later figured out that it is the VPS causing this and when VPS is turned off the problem goes away. So after landing shut down motors before taking off again to be safe!"

That is what the discussion is all about-- and what problems he was having when he didn't shut down the motors after landing. So, now there are several solutions offered, but no one is in agreement on the resolution, so, in the spirit of sticking to the subject, the problem may be solved in your mind, but I don't believe it is for everyone who is participating in this discussion. IMHO, it may be an issue that has to be addressed in the firmware. That is all I am going to say on this subject. Cheers

Reactions: hms
@steve thanks for not giving up on me. You have hit the nail on the head except for the acceptable mod values. I took the phantom across the street into the field and calibrated there where I knew there was no magnetic interference. I got a mod value of 1502 then I went to my driveway where it was 1420.42. I took off landed and took off landed and had no problem. Then checked the mod value in the grass in my yard by me and it was 1470. So the calibration being off a bit does not hurt on the first flight until you land idle engines and try to take off again.

Sorry that I bothered some of you.

Yes, the calibration was off a just a bit. Not enough that you would think that there was a problem when you look at the mod value. But it was just enough when compared to an open field across the street. The problem would have been solved earlier if it would just act up when it first took off and not only after second take off. And yes, if I turned of VPS then the problem never happened at all. It was a very good lesson in compass calibration. Now I am going out to fly one last time before it gets dark (a little cloudy but 2 - 4 mph wind) very calm.

Reactions: III% Streve
When I started flying helis.. A Blade 350 (stupid place to START!) I crashed a dozen times from exactly that. Until someone told me to man up and take off. I did and never crashed again.. taking off!
Hey Steve, I,m waiting for my P3 to be delivered (a sleep or two left). Have been practicing on a sim using the Blade as the model.
How does that compare to actually flying the P3.????

Hey Steve, I,m waiting for my P3 to be delivered (a sleep or two left). Have been practicing on a sim using the Blade as the model.

The Blade drone? Or the Blade heli? I was talking about helis. The Phantom is a LOT more stable! When not in beginner mode, the Phantom is a LOT faster, more agile, and feels like it is connected directly to your hand. The Blade is not a bad bird, but its slow, and feels 'heavy'. They are different birds, but if you can fly a paper airplane, you can fly a Phantom 3! REAL THE MANUAL!

Crap.. I just saw what I did! I meant the Blade 400 in my first statement (which is a heli) The blade 350 is a quad. I have flown the the 350 400 and 450.. also have an SR 120. And Ive flown a Q500 from another brand. Anyway.. the comparisons between the Phantom 3 and the Blade quad were accurate. Sorry to make that so confusing.

Yeah thanks man.
I think flying the Blade quad on the sim has given us a lot of smarts. but will definitely take it slow when we get the P3.
Think I'll read the manual a few times, but are looking forward to putting many sim hours into practice.

The P3 was my first experience with a quad. And it has helped my heli flying immensely! You can get the Phantom manuals in PDF form from DJI ya know? What model did you order?

I got the advanced, mainly because I shoot all my other footage in 1080p. and of course the price.
Have tried flying a couple of helis on the sim and found it very challenging. We live on a boat and will be flying mostly over water, which concerns me but will put in a lot of time over land initially.

Am I the only one not calibrating anything? not FW updating anything? Not SW updating anything, not messing up with settings and not having anything to complain about?
I truly believe that the more you fiddling with it, (and most of the time not knowing what you're doing), the most likely you are to get problems.
From what I've read from this thread, I realise I have wasted my time reading about something that was solved by correcting a dodgy IMU calibration... and presented as a new flaw in the system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Meta4
Am I the only one not calibrating anything? not FW updating anything? Not SW updating anything, not messing up with settings and not having anything to complain about?
I truly believe that the more you fiddling with it, (and most of the time not knowing what you're doing), the most likely you are to get problems.
Who did an IMU calibration? I guess you did waste your time reading it because nobody did that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Who the f... did an IMU calibration? I guess you did waste your time reading it because nobody did that!
Yes you're right, Compass calibration! I must have been really bored. Which makes the things even worse for you if you can't calibrate your compass correctly and come to complain.
My statements still stands: Newbies experts should start their complaints by: I don't know what I've done wrong but... Or is there anything justifying you disagree with it?

Compass was calibrated. no problems at all unless you land and then take off again. So if you calibrate which you don't, from previous statements, and it tells you it is alright. It just might not be so and may not manifest itself on take off or flight and land.

Yes, if I can change the title, I would. But it is strange that turning off VPS or completely shutting down and restarting solved the symptoms. But like you, I made a mistake and did not know the correct title and called it by something else when it was not. So I have learned. But I bet you somebody that read the post will have something like this happen and remember that just because it calibrates and numbers look good and says it is alright, that it just might not be.

Let's call this the end of this thread.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik