550 Pilot's lounge

ladykate said:
OI Photography said:

Have you thought of putting the bigger motors on your F550? The E600 would work if I read this right.

Bigger than the 3508 700kv motors I have now? Maybe someday, I haven't approached the limit these can deliver yet...I can run 12" props and I still have some 11" on it. If I ever move to a 6S setup I might try the E600, but there's already other options I'm looking in that class that should be just as good or better and still come in at close to the same price point.

OI Photography said:
Bigger than the 3508 700kv motors I have now? Maybe someday, I haven't approached the limit these can deliver yet...I can run 12" props and I still have some 11" on it. If I ever move to a 6S setup I might try the E600, but there's already other options I'm looking in that class that should be just as good or better and still come in at close to the same price point.

What kind of lift do you get (if you've measure it)? And I forgot what you got with your 4S batteries - time wise. Do the advertised stability figures for the longer arms measure up? There are extensions out there for the F450 and some talk about them turning unstable if you go too far with the props. Wondering what your experiences were.

OI Photography said:

I hope to get the Aimdroix Aluminum arms soon... just don't know if I should get the extended ones...
Would the stock 2212/920KV work well with the extended arms? Would there be any stability problems?
Maybe the E300 system would be a better fit... I was looking into getting that for the stock arm set up...

Anyone using the DJI E300 or E600 Tuned Propulsion System on stock or modded f550's?

PJA said:
Anyone using the DJI E300 or E600 Tuned Propulsion System on stock or modded f550's?

I was wondering about the E300 - the E600 won't have clearance with 12" props on a stock 550. The only thing that has stopped me from getting the e300 setup is that the new 450 and 550 are supposed to have the e300 as stock. Don't know if that is true since not many are being offered right now. If I go for a mod, I want it to be one that doesn't just bring me up to what is currently being offered.

FWIW - there are 450 frames being offered on eBay with the e300 on them. Kinda pricey right now.

ladykate said:
What kind of lift do you get (if you've measure it)? And I forgot what you got with your 4S batteries - time wise. Do the advertised stability figures for the longer arms measure up? There are extensions out there for the F450 and some talk about them turning unstable if you go too far with the props. Wondering what your experiences were.

No idea what my lift is, or even how to measure it exactly. With an AUW of about 2.4kg I get ~9 min average with a 5000mAh 4S and 11" props.

I think any extensions that bolt on to an existing arm are at a disadvantage when it comes to transferring torque and vibration down the arm, which can eventually result in instability of the mount when enough of those forces aren't absorbed by the body. Once I get around to testing with 12" I'll see if I run in to that at all, but I'd be very surprised if I did.

PJA said:
I hope to get the Aimdroix Aluminum arms soon... just don't know if I should get the extended ones...
Would the stock 2212/920KV work well with the extended arms? Would there be any stability problems?
Maybe the E300 system would be a better fit... I was looking into getting that for the stock arm set up...

I guess the DJI 2212's will work with the extended arms, you may need to use a 10" prop though. And if I'm not mistaken, the motors in the E300 set are the same as the traditional "reds" I'm assuming you got in your 550 kit...? To be honest, the only reason I'd suggest using the extended arms over the stock length is if you wanted to use 11" or 12" props, since you can run 10" on the stock length anyway. The extended wheelbase might give a bit more stability than the stock one, but I don't know if you'll even notice it in GPS mode.

ladykate said:
PJA said:

I was wondering about the E300 - the E600 won't have clearance with 12" props on a stock 550. The only thing that has stopped me from getting the e300 setup is that the new 450 and 550 are supposed to have the e300 as stock. Don't know if that is true since not many are being offered right now. If I go for a mod, I want it to be one that doesn't just bring me up to what is currently being offered.

FWIW - there are 450 frames being offered on eBay with the e300 on them. Kinda pricey right now.

Well, if the kits are pricey, as I'm sure they are, I'd rather do my own mod to the kit I already have...

Aimdroix Aluminum arms are @ $167.00 and I've seen the E300's system as low as $238.00... I got my ARF f550 kit for $220.00 (dji version... Not a clone)... I would probably sell the motors, esc's and plastic arms to recoup some of the money after the mod... (I haven't completed the kit yet, so the motors are still new).

Right now I'm in the process of converting my Phantom 1 to a Phantom 1.5... So I'm still getting ideas from the f550 threads so when I start my build I'll do it right the first time the way I want it... Thanks to you guys, there is a wealth of ideas about batteries and landing gear and gimbals set ups, etc...

Hi all. Just signed up for this great forum. Will post pictures of my rig(s) shortly. My F550 has the Aimdroix extended arms, MT2814-11 motors, Graupner 11x5 e-props, custom Sony black camera, and other assorted goodies. AUW 3.5 kg and I get flight times in the 11-12 minute range flying a RCMR 4S 8,000 mAh battery.

Sarguy said:
MT2814-11 motors

Avroto's or T-motors? I was very very close to getting the Avroto's before I settled on the SunnySky's 3805's. I may end up getting one of the others someday but for now I'm pretty happy with what I got.

It's nice to see another 550 pilot running a 4S setup :) I was thinking about getting that RMRC batt too, haven't decided between that and some other large-capacity options.

Have any pics?

I actually went with the T-Motor. However, I did like the look of the Avroto motors and someone mentioned that they are actually made by Tiger Motor, though I don't know if that's true or not.

I started with the Graupner 12x6 e-props and found that it flew nice, though wobbled quite a bit in gusty wind. The 11x5 props seem more stable and it didn't affect flight time hardly at all.

Sarguy said:
I started with the Graupner 12x6 e-props and found that it flew nice, though wobbled quite a bit in gusty wind. The 11x5 props seem more stable and it didn't affect flight time hardly at all.

I started with some 11x5 gemfan CF blend props that were recommended to me and they've been great so far, they seem to have a very similar profile to the e-props: http://montorc.com/Gemfan-1150BC.aspx

I'm going to try some 12" eventually here just for comparison, but not till I have some more weight to justify them. I'll probably start with a set of T-motor copies from Maytech like these for initial testing: http://www.rc-drones.com/Maytech-MTCP1255T-12prop.php

As for the Avroto's, I had understood they were one of the brands that isn't just a re-badge of a T-motor, unlike many others. However I don't have any real proof either way.

I used the Pulse 6600 initially before I upgraded from the stock DJI motors. It's a 4S2P pack. The RCMR is a 4S1P pack and only weighs 25 grams more for almost 20% more capacity. Here is my F550 with upgrades.

Attachments

• 100_0831 tif.jpg
    100_0831 tif.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 438
OI Photography said:
I guess the DJI 2212's will work with the extended arms, you may need to use a 10" prop though. And if I'm not mistaken, the motors in the E300 set are the same as the traditional "reds" I'm assuming you got in your 550 kit...?

You know, I didn't even realize that the motors ARE the same as the traditional reds from my kit... They are now black in the E-300 kit... BIG DEAL! :roll:

So I assume the main difference with the E-300 kit are the ESC's, which are supposedly 'tuned.' I have to read more into this, It might not be cost affective if there isn't a big difference in performance... The Props are also supposedly "carefully balanced dynamically." I guess I'd like to hear from some users first before I invest in an 'E' System...

PJA said:
So I assume the main difference with the E-300 kit are the ESC's, which are supposedly 'tuned.' I have to read more into this, It might not be cost affective if there isn't a big difference in performance... The Props are also supposedly "carefully balanced dynamically." I guess I'd like to hear from some users first before I invest in an 'E' System...

As far as I can tell that's the case. I haven't seen anything stating exactly what the "tuning" is, probably something similar to the SimonK firmware found on many other brands of ESC's which are supposed to make the ESC's give smoother and more precise throttle control. The ESC's I bought have SimonK on them, but I've never tested any without it to compare.

I think the props in the E300 are the same as the stock props on the P2/P2V, and the E600 seems like it just has a 12" version of the same ones. I don't know if the E300's are exactly the same as the P2 props, but they state that they're the same size (9443) and are visually similar enough. What I wish is that DJI would release a non-self-tightening version of the 12" I could test.

Good discussion guys. I'm absorbing this.

AFA E300 being the same motor as the reds on the 550 kit - the specs published are different than the independent tests made on the 'other' 2212s. However, not much so there may be a point there. The ESCs seem to be the real difference as was mentioned.

Wind being a problem with the larger props is an interesting observation. Is there a diminishing returns point where the area of larger props start overcoming lighter airframes? Should be some sort of chart one could make out of that... maybe.

@ladykate

From what I've been able to gather, the larger the prop, the greater the effective "wing area", so the greater the effect of wind gusts. This coupled with a slower RPM for a larger prop and bigger inertia cause a slower reaction time of the motor system. The smaller props can spool up faster. Larger props are also more lightly loaded (lift/effective disk area). Anyway, that's about the extent of my aero knowledge. 12 years of college wasted. :D

Sarguy said:
@ladykate

From what I've been able to gather, the larger the prop, the greater the effective "wing area", so the greater the effect of wind gusts. This coupled with a slower RPM for a larger prop and bigger inertia cause a slower reaction time of the motor system. The smaller props can spool up faster. Larger props are also more lightly loaded (lift/effective disk area). Anyway, that's about the extent of my aero knowledge. 12 years of college wasted. :D

That about sums up what I know about it for sure as well. The complex relationship between prop size/pitch, rpm, load, and other factors is one that I haven't quite mastered yet. I grasp most of the individual elements ok, but when you factor in the full list of variables it still eludes me.

Great discussion regarding prop size and the E300 upgrade. I'm still not sold on it. Even DJI posted that it will provide you with a 10% increase in efficiency. Not a high enough % in my opinion to drop $300 when my F550 still smells like a new car. LOL!!

Did I say how much I'm enjoying myself flying this baby around. SUPER COOL!!!!

Question.....when you guys balance your props are you shaving/sanding away prop material or using tape? If so, what kind of tape is best and how should it be placed. Photos would be great. Thanks!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl