550 Pilot's lounge

Has anyone considered taking the guts out of a P1 (or wrecked P2) and making a 450? I was looking at the parts requirements and you could, if you could cannibalize the components, make a 450 for quite a bit less than $500 by repurposing the P1 parts. What am I missing?

ladykate said:
Has anyone considered taking the guts out of a P1 (or wrecked P2) and making a 450? I was looking at the parts requirements and you could, if you could cannibalize the components, make a 450 for quite a bit less than $500 by repurposing the P1 parts. What am I missing?

Certainly do-able, I think the main obstacles are just the GPS/compass situation, and maybe replacing the ESC's (although even that's not technically necessary).

OI Photography said:
ladykate said:

Certainly do-able, I think the main obstacles are just the GPS/compass situation, and maybe replacing the ESC's (although even that's not technically necessary).

I was looking at this month's issue of MAKE magazine and was struck by the cost of electronics when making your own Quad. It seemed that the innards of a P1 - which can be had without the transmitter for less than $400 and a used one for even less - provides great electronics for a fraction of the price. I haven't cracked open my P1 - are the ESCs molded in or something? Even with that, they could be cut out and mounted (hey... any of the Flamewheels look like bag ladies so a little gnarly wouldn't be unusual).

I guess the drawback is that you would be stuck with stock Phantom and nothing upscale. But an F450 RTF doesn't have high end components. You could use the extra $500 to upgrade stuff.

I say all this because I now have an extra Tx and Rx (my Devo combo from the Flamewheel). Might as well use them for something. Or... I could buy another Futaba Rx and use it with my current Tx.

ladykate said:
I was looking at this month's issue of MAKE magazine and was struck by the cost of electronics when making your own Quad. It seemed that the innards of a P1 - which can be had without the transmitter for less than $400 and a used one for even less - provides great electronics for a fraction of the price. I haven't cracked open my P1 - are the ESCs molded in or something? Even with that, they could be cut out and mounted (hey... any of the Flamewheels look like bag ladies so a little gnarly wouldn't be unusual).

I guess the drawback is that you would be stuck with stock Phantom and nothing upscale. But an F450 RTF doesn't have high end components. You could use the extra $500 to upgrade stuff.

I say all this because I now have an extra Tx and Rx (my Devo combo from the Flamewheel). Might as well use them for something. Or... I could buy another Futaba Rx and use it with my current Tx.

If you're willing to forgo using a DJI flight controller, you can build a quad for even less with an arducopoter controller or something similar.

The Phantom's ESC's are easy to remove, I just suggest replacing them since they're nothing but bare boards w/no heat sinks (which may be no big deal, I'd just take that step if I were doing the conversion).

The other thing you have to figure out is how to mount the uncovered GPS board and separate compass from the Phantom...as opposed to the one enclosed easy-to-mount unit like you got on your 550. The cost of that separately is around $150 though.

OI Photography said:
The other thing you have to figure out is how to mount the uncovered GPS board and separate compass from the Phantom...as opposed to the one enclosed easy-to-mount unit like you got on your 550. The cost of that separately is around $150 though.

I was thinking about that. One could mold a potted disk and use the stock stuff on a fiber tube (maybe). I might look around and see if I can find a cheaper used phantom.

JTheed said:
Ladykate: Which props are you using?

I answered 10" stock before - but as a follow-up - I decided to see how long my flight time was with the new gear but with everything else the same. Unfortunately, it was only 2 degrees F with gusts so the flight time is probably skewed. The aircraft was working a little to maintain hover.

I did this one differently than with my previous test - in that one I kept the platform up as long as it was easily controllable for height gain. For this one, I put it in a hover at 30 feet/GPS and quit when it would not hold its hover at the original throttle setting (50%). The NAZA light was blinking red early on but that is just a setting in the NAZA and I've noticed there is a good deal of usable flight time left on this model. I was getting red blinking lights at just under 11 volts. As an example, I've run the battery down to 10.1 volts and still had a controllable airplane (but one that should be landed). In this test, I stopped at 10.5 - 10.6 volts. Battery was one of the Storm 3S that you get with the kit from Helipal.

OK... after making all those excuses, the flight time was 7 minutes and 32 seconds according to my handy dandy Futaba timer that was set on takeoff. Using my previous method, I believe I would have obtained 8 minutes+ fairly easily. I know all the rules about taking the battery down too low ... I don't think this method does that but that will be seen in a few months of use.

Oh.. and it is uncomfortable to fly for 7 minutes and 32 seconds in sub zero wind chills.

ladykate said:
Oh.. and it is uncomfortable to fly for 7 minutes and 32 seconds in sub zero wind chills.

I can only imagine. I was born and raised, and still live, in South Florida. It's a brisk 83 degrees F right now.

I asked which props because I was using the larger props and decided to try the smaller ones that the ARF kit came with to see how it flew. It hovered in one spot better than I have seen either of my 2 Phantoms or the 550 with the larger props attached.

I have ordered a couple 4S 5000 mAh batteries to see if it will increase my flight time. With 2 2700 3S's, I'm just under 6 minutes. I also ordered the BEC's that OI Photography suggested, but they are on back order.

JTheed said:
I also ordered the BEC's that OI Photography suggested, but they are on back order.

I know I've seen that same model (or one visually similar) at other outlets I can't remember where offhand. Just google "12v BEC" and you'll probably find them...if you're in any hurry anyway ;)

OI Photography said:
I know I've seen that same model (or one visually similar) at other outlets I can't remember where offhand. Just google "12v BEC" and you'll probably find them...if you're in any hurry anyway ;)

I did just that.

JTheed said:
I asked which props because I was using the larger props and decided to try the smaller ones that the ARF kit came with to see how it flew. It hovered in one spot better than I have seen either of my 2 Phantoms or the 550 with the larger props attached.

I have ordered a couple 4S 5000 mAh batteries to see if it will increase my flight time. With 2 2700 3S's, I'm just under 6 minutes. I also ordered the BEC's that OI Photography suggested, but they are on back order.

For what I'm doing with the F550, I think I will get 'good enough' flight times but I might be going the 4S route if warm weather detracts from my flight times. I'm interested to see what really does happen when it warms up. Long range forecast is in the 50s in two weeks - hope that is true.

Did you notice a change in flight times with the smaller props?

Did a second hover test this afternoon. Same parameters, same battery, same landing criteria. Differences were the wind had picked up slightly and it had warmed up to 37 degrees (it is not unusual in the Spring to run the defrosters on the way to work and the air conditioner on the way home).

Time was 9 minutes and 16 seconds.

I really don't know what to make of it - other than the warmer air made a helluva difference (if that was the variable).

I'v been reading through this thread as I just purchased the F550 from Heli-Pal (this kit http://bit.ly/1mEy6Uy) and you guys are positing so much useful information, love it!

I know theres been a lot of talk about batteries but I'm still not sure which I should be using. The kit I bought comes with a 3S 5500mah 30C Battery. I was hoping to get around 13-15 minutes flightime which in my conditions shouldn't be to hard seeing as the average temp here his 32º everyday.

Would love to know what you guys would recommend in my situation. I will of course also be running a GoPro and an IOSD under the Drone later on.

SammyB said:
I'v been reading through this thread as I just purchased the F550 from Heli-Pal (this kit http://bit.ly/1mEy6Uy) and you guys are positing so much useful information, love it!

I know theres been a lot of talk about batteries but I'm still not sure which I should be using. The kit I bought comes with a 3S 5500mah 30C Battery. I was hoping to get around 13-15 minutes flightime which in my conditions shouldn't be to hard seeing as the average temp here his 32º everyday.

Would love to know what you guys would recommend in my situation. I will of course also be running a GoPro and an IOSD under the Drone later on.

Congrats on your purchase. I recently got the RTF for Heli-Pal. I'm also running the iOSD. I just upgraded my radio to a Spektrum DX7s and added LED lights. I also recently purchased 2 3S 6400mAh 35C lipos from Tower Hobbies. I was able to use my $25 discount and get shipping for only $5.....so not too bad for 2 Lipos at $150 total. Since it's raining I haven't had a chance to test them out but I'm hopeful on getting a couple more minutes flying time. The battery that came with the RTF, I've been getting about 9:30 minutes. Fun times ahead.

OK... new topic... sorta...

I was looking at the E600 motors. They swing 12 inch props and are lower speed. Lift is awesome. They fit on a 450... An S6 battery is cheaper (on eBay) than an S3 - so not sure what that is about. Lift capability is huge (1600 grams per motor - 600 recommended max). Won't work on a 550 - I assume because of the propeller dimensions.

So... what would be the drawbacks of four of them swinging on an F450? Flight time would be my first guess but I have no way of estimating that... Advantage would be you could lift several pounds. Any others?

ladykate said:
Lift capability is huge (1600 grams per motor - 600 recommended max). Won't work on a 550 - I assume because of the propeller dimensions.

So... what would be the drawbacks of four of them swinging on an F450? Flight time would be my first guess but I have no way of estimating that... Advantage would be you could lift several pounds. Any others?

The only drawback I guess would be overkill lol. I'd think those motors and the 12" props could probably lift more weight than the stock 450 frame could handle without a lot of flexing. Might be a fun experiment, but not at that price.

You can get 1600g/axis on a 4S system for less than DJI's E600 sets. For example, these Avroto 2814 770kv motors (for 4S) are rated to 1700g/axis with 11" props, and would only cost about $80/axis with some decent ESC's: http://hobby-drones.com/avroto-motors/a ... ack-save-5

Normally increases in battery rating (2S, 3S, 4S, etc) come with a corresponding increase in weight and cost per mAh. I don't know I've ever seen a 6S batt that costs the same or less as a 3S of equivalent capacity, so if you found one I'd say it's the exception to the rule.

Usually it's not necessary to move to 6S unless your motors are drawing a good deal of current even at idle, which usually comes when you have motors big enough to push large props under heavy load. Otherwise it's probably not worth the tradeoff to lug around the extra weight of a 6S for any given capacity. And if you really did need the amount of juice they can deliver at once for the payloads you carry, you'd probably need to be using a bigger platform than the 550 anyway.

OI Photography said:
The only drawback I guess would be overkill lol.

Of course! But it would easily match those YouTube videos where the guy is flying a small quad with a coke bottle on the bottom. ;-}

I now have three airframes and if I make another, I probably should make it completely different. Was thinking about robbing my P1 but then I figured I could use it for manual mode if I ever graduate from the sim to a real airplane. Would never try to flip the Hex or the P2 with all the gear on it.

I'd think those motors and the 12" props could probably lift more weight than the stock 450 frame could handle without a lot of flexing. Might be a fun experiment, but not at that price.

I've been digging through all the variables and this idea came upon me late last night after several root beers. Doubt it will happen but wanted to think it through. Cost would be significantly higher for the quad but not as high as the F550.

Normally increases in battery rating (2S, 3S, 4S, etc) come with a corresponding increase in weight and cost per mAh. I don't know I've ever seen a 6S batt that costs the same or less as a 3S of equivalent capacity, so if you found one I'd say it's the exception to the rule.

Here is the search on eBay for 6s Lipo - there are a number of them for less than $75. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid= ... &_from=R40 They come in at 800+ grams for the most part.

If the airframe weighs 282 plus the other kit (say another 150). You would have 1200-1300 grams in airframe to lift with all that. That would give you about 1200 grams of payload (maybe). That means you could lift 2-3 pounds without seriously taxing the motors. Of course, the flight times would probably be very low. Flexing of the booms might be an issue but the 450 is pretty tough from what the big boys down at the pool hall say.

Ah, well... it is a thought...

FangsCPO said:
SammyB said:

Congrats on your purchase. I recently got the RTF for Heli-Pal. I'm also running the iOSD. I just upgraded my radio to a Spektrum DX7s and added LED lights. I also recently purchased 2 3S 6400mAh 35C lipos from Tower Hobbies. I was able to use my $25 discount and get shipping for only $5.....so not too bad for 2 Lipos at $150 total. Since it's raining I haven't had a chance to test them out but I'm hopeful on getting a couple more minutes flying time. The battery that came with the RTF, I've been getting about 9:30 minutes. Fun times ahead.

Thanks! I actually just bought two 3S 6400mAh 40C Lipos the other day as well, haha. Sounds like you got a great deal on yours. I'm keen to add LED's myself but I'll probably look into doing that later on.

I'd be preety happy even just with something like 9:30, but like you said hopefully the aftermarket 6400mAh get some extra flight time.

@ladykate: Got your message! Can't reply as I'm not active enough yet but my buddy who's been into all of this for years is doing the same thing as you and building one himself from scratch. We both plan on throwing some money at it and building a quad that can carry a dslr and even something like an fs700 so we can use it commercially.

Where did you get your 3S 6400mAh 40C lipos? How much? I'm also curious on their weight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.