550 Pilot's lounge

FangsCPO said:
Where did you get your 3S 6400mAh 40C lipos? How much? I'm also curious on their weight.
I got them from Hobby King and ordered it from their Australian Warehouse, although I believe they are based in Hong Kong. I only just ordered them but a buddy recommended them as they last considerably longer than other lipo batteries.

It cost me just under $150 for two of them including shipping. You can find them here http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=35143

ladykate said:
Tower Hobbies has them. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... LXBPGZ&P=7

I am interested in how much more time you can get from them. 497 grams is a tad heavy but ...
Same here, I'm hoping to get something around 11 minutes but I'll let you know once I'v tried them out. It's actually 506 grams for the batteries I bought but I'm hoping that it isn't to much of an issue.

My F550 from Heli-Pal arrived earlier today (hooray) had a test flight and all went well except for a minor soft crash into the front lawn and a couple of bad landings.

I have the Devo 7 Transmitter and and I'm not sure how to use the all the controls. I figured out how to switch flight modes from Manual, ATTI to GPS (or is it GPS/ATTI?) using the switch on the base to the top right although I have no idea what Gear, Mix, Hold/TRN and D-R do.

Also which modes should I be flying for what and what do they actually effect? I was switching between Manual and Atti mode for my test flight, but I didn't try GPS flight for fear of it flying away on me.

Obviously I'm very new and would really appreciate any useful tips or information. Thanks!

Assuming you are using a Helipal RTF. The switches that are important are the two switches on the right of the radio that are three position.

All switches can be forward and should be there for learning in my opinion. You should NOT go to manual mode if you are new (or even experienced - this is not an acrobatic platform) - ATTI and GPS are why we all like these machines. Manual mode is not activated on my machine so I doubt it is on yours - if you were in either of the two bottom positions, you were in ATTI.

Go to GPS (right three position switch forward/down), give it time to lock onto satellites, and enjoy. If you screw up and don't wait for the satellites, then GPS will be unstable but will probably still work - I've flown with 5 satellites before - if you manage to get it airborne without waiting for the flashing greens, then switch to ATTI and it will still work. But wait for GPS - it only takes a minute for the NAZA to find them. You won't have a fly-away because you went to GPS as long as you follow the rules. You will probably have crashes if you don't go to GPS - especially when you are first learning. Crashes can be expensive.

All the active switches are called out in the F550 manual that Helipal provides (if you got it from Helipal). Go to the F550 RTF page and download or read the manual. It explains it.

http://image.helipal.com/helipal-f550-r ... ual-01.pdf

More: Make sure the compass is calibrated. The manual shows you how and there are probably a zillion YouTube videos for Phantom that show you how (Phantom and F550 RTF are the same). You have to do the compass dance if you want GPS to work right.

Also, you should probably hook up to the NAZA with the PC assistant (download from DJI - runs on a Windows PC) and make sure you have the latest firmware. I had current NAZA stuff but my iOSD was out-of-date.

Helipal price back up.

Just noticed that the F450 RTF went back up in price. Also, I asked them by email if/when the E300 was going to start shipping with the 450 ARF - DJI says it is, they aren't doing it as yet.

ladykate said:
Assuming you are using a Helipal RTF. The switches that are important are the two switches on the right of the radio that are three position.

All switches can be forward and should be there for learning in my opinion. You should NOT go to manual mode if you are new (or even experienced - this is not an acrobatic platform) - ATTI and GPS are why we all like these machines. Manual mode is not activated on my machine so I doubt it is on yours - if you were in either of the two bottom positions, you were in ATTI.

Go to GPS (right three position switch forward/down), give it time to lock onto satellites, and enjoy. If you screw up and don't wait for the satellites, then GPS will be unstable but will probably still work - I've flown with 5 satellites before - if you manage to get it airborne without waiting for the flashing greens, then switch to ATTI and it will still work. But wait for GPS - it only takes a minute for the NAZA to find them. You won't have a fly-away because you went to GPS as long as you follow the rules. You will probably have crashes if you don't go to GPS - especially when you are first learning. Crashes can be expensive.

All the active switches are called out in the F550 manual that Helipal provides (if you got it from Helipal). Go to the F550 RTF page and download or read the manual. It explains it.

More: Make sure the compass is calibrated. The manual shows you how and there are probably a zillion YouTube videos for Phantom that show you how (Phantom and F550 RTF are the same). You have to do the compass dance if you want GPS to work right.

Also, you should probably hook up to the NAZA with the PC assistant (download from DJI - runs on a Windows PC) and make sure you have the latest firmware. I had current NAZA stuff but my iOSD was out-of-date.

Thank you! You cleared a heap of things up for me. I just went through that pdf and the one for the Naza V2 and I just realised how crappy of a lock-on I get for GPS (less than five everytime). The one thing I did actually do for all of my flights was wait for a lock-on before I took off. I'm assuming I only have to wait for a lock-on once? It doesn't have to do it another time to confirm as I'v read on other forums?

I'm running a mac but I'v been using a workaround to use the assistant software and everything seems up to date. I'v been connecting directly to the Naza via usb, is that the right place?

ladykate said:
Helipal price back up.

Just noticed that the F450 RTF went back up in price. Also, I asked them by email if/when the E300 was going to start shipping with the 450 ARF - DJI says it is, they aren't doing it as yet.

I don't see them jumping on the E300 band wagon yet. They'll probably get rid of their old inventory first. The E300 upgrade is calling my name but I'll wait to see what results Sammy gets from his test flights. I also have 3 perfectly good 3S Lipos that I don't want to just have sitting on the shelf collecting dust.

SammyB said:
ladykate said:

Thank you! You cleared a heap of things up for me. I just went through that pdf and the one for the Naza V2 and I just realised how crappy of a lock-on I get for GPS (less than five everytime). The one thing I did actually do for all of my flights was wait for a lock-on before I took off. I'm assuming I only have to wait for a lock-on once? It doesn't have to do it another time to confirm as I'v read on other forums?

I'm running a mac but I'v been using a workaround to use the assistant software and everything seems up to date. I'v been connecting directly to the Naza via usb, is that the right place?

Sammy as it has been said before, fly in GPS mode if you are just starting out and don't go unless you see only green lights blinking. I've stuck to that theory with my Phantom v1 for 181 flights and I only had one crash. I also do that now with my F550. Happy flying!!

SammyB said:
Haha, sorry to repeat past questions. Thanks for the sound advice, I'll definitely stick to it until I actually know what I'm doing ;)

In my opinion, no need to apologize. I'd rather you ask more than once and avoid a crash.

QUESTION: Has anyone balanced their props on the F550. I've noticed that unlike in the Phantom threads, no one here has ever mentioned anything about balancing their props. I haven't either but I was just curious. Is it even necessary? I know my videos are coming out great but I'm just assuming that since I started of with a gimbal right 0ff the bat, jello has not been an issue.

FangsCPO said:
QUESTION: Has anyone balanced their props on the F550. I've noticed that unlike in the Phantom threads, no one here has ever mentioned anything about balancing their props. I haven't either but I was just curious. Is it even necessary? I know my videos are coming out great but I'm just assuming that since I started of with a gimbal right 0ff the bat, jello has not been an issue.

I did, but mostly out of the habit of balancing all props before use. I didn't fly with them before that so I have no baseline comparison, but I haven't had jello or any other potentially-related issues since. I'd say that if your videos are smooth and it handles fine in flight you may not need to stress about it.

There is a school of thought that even running somewhat unbalanced props can have a negative impact on bearing/motor life, but I haven't seen any data to quantify it.

OI Photography said:
FangsCPO said:
There is a school of thought that even running somewhat unbalanced props can have a negative impact on bearing/motor life, but I haven't seen any data to quantify it.

I have heard that before as well but flying with a gimbal you don't really see the jello. I bet if I removed the gimbal and attached my HERO3 directly to the F550, I would see jello and all the vibrations associated with not having properly balanced props. For now, I won't sweat it since the videos are coming out great.

Question for the group: I'm about to purchase a F550 with Zenmuse and it looks to me like the camera gimbal is closer to the prop axis on the F550 than on the Phantom. Do you notice more or less of a problem of having props in the shots with the camera gimbal at zero tilt setting?

Thanks.

lgeist said:
Question for the group: I'm about to purchase a F550 with Zenmuse and it looks to me like the camera gimbal is closer to the prop axis on the F550 than on the Phantom. Do you notice more or less of a problem of having props in the shots with the camera gimbal at zero tilt setting?

Thanks.

Check out the beginning part of the flight on this video. That's about what you'll see when having the gimbal looking straight ahead. Once you adjust the HERO3 looking slightly downward, you are good to go. Enjoy!!....and Good Luck!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSPFHPDgP5o[/youtube]

lgeist said:

Thanks.

With the stock setup, you can see the props if you cycle the camera all the way up... same as the P2. To eliminate fish eye horizons, it is handy to have the camera as close to level with the horizon as you can make it. As a happy addition to adding new landing gear, my camera is now 3" farther out on the airframe and it makes it a little easier to eliminate the props getting into the scene and the balance is almost perfect for the airframe. I originally put the landing gear on so it would be a bit more stable when landing. That works very well and the new position of the gimbal a plus.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FPV-Anti-Vibrat ... 2a37621758

Trying to avoid getting the airframe in the shots is a large part of what drove my decision to also get some landing gear that allowed the gimbal to be mounted farther forward like ladykate described, and also to get non-DJI arms (that don't have the little landing "feet" extending down below the motors).

Thanks guys for the tips on the landing gear and the non-DJI arms. I was just about to ask if it was possible to cut the "feet" off at the end of the arms. I never considered that there might be aftermarket arms without them.

Ladykate, can you confirm that the Zenmuse H3-2D attaches directly to the landing gear provided in your link?

lgeist said:
Thanks guys for the tips on the landing gear and the non-DJI arms. I was just about to ask if it was possible to cut the "feet" off at the end of the arms. I never considered that there might be aftermarket arms without them.

Ladykate, can you confirm that the Zenmuse H3-2D attaches directly to the landing gear provided in your link?

Yep. I mentioned this earlier in this thread (getting kinda long - seems there are a few of us out here).

There is a forward and rearward platform. The forward platform has rubber bushings and the Zenmuse fits on the bottom. The holes on mine were good for the back part of the gimbal (uses the bolts already supplied with the Zenmuse) but the slot on the front was a little tight so I used a zip tie to tie the front of the gimbal (same as the stock F550 uses if you use the Helipal arrangement). Works fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20