3/5 Updated Autopilot firmware v3.12 released

Re: STICKY: Phantom Vision v3.0 Update 4/06: No-Fly Zones Ad

Pull_Up said:
But the only way to ensure that education is mandatory flight training and licencing for all pilots of UAVs above a certain class, or above a certain range capability... Careful what you wish for.
Yes, but this attempt by DJI to appease the authorities responsible for air space safety looks so crude. If you wanted to make it actually work then it is a huge amount of work for someone. I hate the idea of the geofencing - it treats us like idiots.

Personally I think it is just a question of time before we get some kind of licensing and a simple competency test. This could be enforced by having mandatory insurance which would be a good thing. The field I know a lot about is sailing and here in the UK there are no licencing requirements, you can go out and buy a garage forecourt dinghy and try to sail across the Atlantic if you want. This contrasts with France where boat and skipper are type categorised and only allowed a certain distance offshore depending on your licence. The difference between sailing and drone flying is that only you can get damaged* in sailing whereas our drones can do real damage. This quote says it all - "better drowned than duffers, if not duffers won't drown".

If the use of drones really increases which it may do then I would welcome some kind of basic proof of competency. It may be that drones do not proliferate (remember they said that by now our skies would be full of flying cars) in which case we can carry on as we are now but if they become used for deliveries and mass surveillance then something will have to be done.

*apart from the rescuers who might get into trouble trying to rescue you.

CRankin said:
Maion said:
Folks, i think I need some help...

I did the upgrade flight now, but I cannot go to other pages inside the software.... When I select for example, tools guide, at the bottom appears in red upgrade main Controller to lastest version, but I've already done! It shows 3.0 installed but on the last collumn, is 3.00

The first item after the main Controller and GPS shows like --.--.-- as loader.... Is it okay?

Any idea????

Bug???

Best regards,

Maion

Are you using version 3.0 of the Assistant software as well? I ran into this problem earlier today before version 3.0 of the software was downloadable from DJI's web site. After downloading 3.0 and installing it, all was well once again with the world... :)

CRankin, thanks a lot!!!

This @sshole here downloaded a few hours ago, but at DJI were still Assistant 2.0 version... When I woke up today, I've read your reply and I came back to DJI page and...... Assistant 3.0!!!!!!

Later at night when I go back home I will try again!

Thanks a lot and sorry for my poor english... I'm just a brazilian guy!

The video says "restricted areas SUCH AS airports". That leads me to believe there will be MANY other areas designated as "restricted" in the near future...

Pull_Up said:
But the only way to ensure that education is mandatory flight training and licencing for all pilots of UAVs above a certain class, or above a certain range capability... Careful what you wish for.

I'd wish for neither.

Somehow we've all managed to "survive" for decades with radio controlled helicopters and airplanes flying above without having geofence restrictions enforced by manufacturers. Just because DJI can do this doesn't mean they should.

I'm all for responsible flying, and acting like an adult when behind the controls is not optional. I even like the feature to some extent for new pilots and the 90%+ of people who won't be affected by it at all. Phantoms should ship with this feature enabled "out of the box" as it will keep people from getting themselves into trouble.

That being said, my objection comes when DJI doesn't give advanced users (and people with a legitimate need) to turn these features off (even temporarily, for a single flight) when needed. Some of those folks are people like me... I'm using the Phantom to help some folks get aerial photos for real estate listings. Some of those listings are within the randomly determined and unilaterally enforced 5 mile radius of Dulles Airport. Now, we all know that you don't necessarily need to fly really high to get good photos for real estate... What I'd be doing wouldn't create issues for aircraft at all. So why not allow for the restriction to be turned off?

As much as I like my P2V (and I really do), this is leading me to question whether or not I should keep it. Now that the firmware has been upgraded, its applicability for my needs has been significantly reduced, and the P2V represents far less in terms of value than it did just last week.

Is there a way of easily downgrading the firmware? If so, then that may be the solution to my needs. I could run the v3.0 firmware for regular day-to-day operations, and only downgrade it when I need to fly within the "no fly zone" to get photos. Though this work-around would be frustrating and inconvenient (it could require bringing my laptop into the field with me a lot of the time), it would be one way of solving my needs. (Of course, the best way of doing this would be to allow users who choose the use NAZA mode to fully disable the geofence restrictions.)

Arbitrary and capricious actions like this from DJI have me rethinking my longer term strategy of using their products. And as long as these restrictions exist and cannot be overridden, I honestly cannot recommend DJI's products to friends and colleagues. After all, who wants to fly a CrippleQuad?

I'm guaranteeing one thing:in the USA money will always win in matters of public safety, health, or security.
We're seeing legalization of marijuana taking place in many States, with more coming this and next year.
And you can bet when they figure out how much they can add to the public coffers by selling "drone" operator's licenses and required competency testing, that will be happening post haste.
It may be a good thing for, as I'd just go for the full commercial license.

CRankin said:
Pull_Up said:

I'd wish for neither.

Somehow we've all managed to "survive" for decades with radio controlled helicopters and airplanes flying above without having geofence restrictions enforced by manufacturers. Just because DJI can do this doesn't mean they should.

I'm all for responsible flying, and acting like an adult when behind the controls is not optional. I even like the feature to some extent for new pilots and the 90%+ of people who won't be affected by it at all. Phantoms should ship with this feature enabled "out of the box" as it will keep people from getting themselves into trouble.

That being said, my objection comes when DJI doesn't give advanced users (and people with a legitimate need) to turn these features off (even temporarily, for a single flight) when needed. Some of those folks are people like me... I'm using the Phantom to help some folks get aerial photos for real estate listings. Some of those listings are within the randomly determined and unilaterally enforced 5 mile radius of Dulles Airport. Now, we all know that you don't necessarily need to fly really high to get good photos for real estate... What I'd be doing wouldn't create issues for aircraft at all. So why not allow for the restriction to be turned off?

As much as I like my P2V (and I really do), this is leading me to question whether or not I should keep it. Now that the firmware has been upgraded, its applicability for my needs has been significantly reduced, and the P2V represents far less in terms of value than it did just last week.

Is there a way of easily downgrading the firmware? If so, then that may be the solution to my needs. I could run the v3.0 firmware for regular day-to-day operations, and only downgrade it when I need to fly within the "no fly zone" to get photos. Though this work-around would be frustrating and inconvenient (it could require bringing my laptop into the field with me a lot of the time), it would be one way of solving my needs. (Of course, the best way of doing this would be to allow users who choose the use NAZA mode to fully disable the geofence restrictions.)

Arbitrary and capricious actions like this from DJI have me rethinking my longer term strategy of using their products. And as long as these restrictions exist and cannot be overridden, I honestly cannot recommend DJI's products to friends and colleagues. After all, who wants to fly a CrippleQuad?

I´m totally agree with you...also I have a P2V and I was happy with it until I knew this information from DJI and their 3.0 version...!

pault said:
Personally I think it is just a question of time before we get some kind of licensing and a simple competency test. This could be enforced by having mandatory insurance which would be a good thing. The field I know a lot about is sailing and here in the UK there are no licencing requirements, you can go out and buy a garage forecourt dinghy and try to sail across the Atlantic if you want. This contrasts with France where boat and skipper are type categorised and only allowed a certain distance offshore depending on your licence. The difference between sailing and drone flying is that only you can get damaged* in sailing whereas our drones can do real damage. This quote says it all - "better drowned than duffers, if not duffers won't drown".

I don't want to turn this into an off-topic debate about philosophies, but my view has always been that when government gets involved in something to "help" people, they usually just wind up screwing things up.

My opinion differs significantly from yours in that I don't believe people should have to get any licensing or pass any competency tests to operate quads. And there certainly shouldn't be any mandatory insurance requirement. Perhaps it's just a cultural difference between the US and UK (it probably is), but for most of my life I've believed that it isn't government's responsibility or right to protect people from themselves. Licensing just brings additional bureaucracy - and costs for hobbyists and businesses - into the picture without providing even a shred of additional benefit.

As for the folks with their boats... well, I'm sure the French have good reason for their restrictions - but I just kind of see those as silly, too. Here in the US, one can buy a boat with very little (if any) requirement for receiving operational instruction. In some states, one can even operate said boat with little (to no) instruction (though this varies from state to state, as this is mainly the responsibility of state legislatures to regulate). I've owned and operated a boat for about 12 years now, and never had "formal" instruction in its use (nor do I intend to receive it, unless required by law). I actually prefer it that way, as I'm not a fan of government regulations and restrictions - even if that results in a bit more danger to me from others when I'm on the water.

Makes you realise just how much power DJI have in their hands. They could even decide to make an hourly charge for flying if they wanted to (not serious but ......)

Fortunately our hobby attracts some clever individuals so hopefully a hack will be along soon so we can switch big brother off.

The sooner DJI has a serious competitor the better.

pault said:
Makes you realise just how much power DJI have in their hands. They could even decide to make an hourly charge for flying if they wanted to (not serious but ......)

Fortunately our hobby attracts some clever individuals so hopefully a hack will be along soon so we can switch big brother off.

The sooner DJI has a serious competitor the better.

Forget +1.... +1,000,000!!!

I have my eye on 3DR's Iris as a possible replacement to the P2V down the road. It was a choice between buying it and the P2V when I made the purchase. I can still probably (maybe?) return my P2V if I wanted to and opt for the Iris instead - but I'd really just prefer to keep the P2V as long as someone can figure out how to remove these restrictions, or can provide instructions to downgrade the firmware to a pre-3.0 state. (I found some instructions the other day, but the login/password that they said to use to download the older firmware from the Assistant software didn't work.)

CRankin wrote:
Maion wrote:
Folks, i think I need some help...

I did the upgrade flight now, but I cannot go to other pages inside the software.... When I select for example, tools guide, at the bottom appears in red upgrade main Controller to lastest version, but I've already done! It shows 3.0 installed but on the last collumn, is 3.00

The first item after the main Controller and GPS shows like --.--.-- as loader.... Is it okay?

Any idea????

Bug???

Best regards,

Maion

Are you using version 3.0 of the Assistant software as well? I ran into this problem earlier today before version 3.0 of the software was downloadable from DJI's web site. After downloading 3.0 and installing it, all was well once again with the world... :)

I had the same errors while trying to update my firmware this weekend with v2.0 Main Controller update, mis-match, power cycle with loud chirping, then repeat a hundred times etc. Read in forums that people had similar problems. Thought nothing of it so I took it out for a flight. Hovered a few feet from me, flew fine, then when I got about 50 feet away, it started acting buggy and I no longer had control. It kept going toward a tree and I couldn't do anything about it. It caught on some branches and crashed, breaking my blades and bending my new Zenmuse gimbal. I have a video of it happening and luckily my gopro still works, not sure about the zenmuse gimbal though.

I will try this new v3.0 since it's my only option and hopefully it finishes the firmware update once, so can go to the other screens to enable failsafe, etc.... and then I'm never updating DJI's firmware again.

DJI Phantom firmware version 3 is too restrictive for Boston, MA, USA!

I estimation firmware version 3.0 will limit the height to around 50 feet to where this video was taken over Boston Common, a park in Boston. Trees in the park are about that hight, surrounding buildings are a lot taller.

This video will not have been able to me made with the latest update of the firmware.

PS
In this video, the buildings are between the Phantom and the airport.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McJzZovaWA8[/youtube]

This is EXACTLY why I don't apply the latest firmware until you other guys test it out, I think I will pass on ver 3.0 for now and stick with ver 2 as the quad is flying just fine. Thanks for the info.

MikeySoft said:
DJI Phantom firmware version 3 is too restrictive for Boston, MA, USA!

I estimation firmware version 3.0 will limit the height to around 50 feet to where this video was taken over Boston Common, a park in Boston. Trees in the park are about that hight, surrounding buildings are a lot taller.

This video will not have been able to me made with the latest update of the firmware.

There are a lot of others out there like this, too - flights around Manhattan, Statue of Liberty, etc... Many were entered in DJI's video contest, and are quite good. I simply do not understand why DJI feels obliged to "protect" us from people taking part in such good activities - especially when they're not creating problems, disturbances, or doing anything "stupid" while flying. If DJI wanted to kill its business in the US (and possibly elsewhere), I'd say they're off to a good start with v3.0 of their firmware.

Also, to those who might suggest that the firmware updates aren't mandatory... I agree with you 100% - they're not. However, for users to take advantage of future new features (such as waypoints) a firmware upgrade will be necessary. There's also a safety factor involved, as new firmware updates are *supposed to* address bugs and issues. Those who intend to use their multirotors for business use *could* find themselves in a situation, should something go awry and they wind up in court. If updated firmware would have addressed an issue that caused a problem, I could see that being part of an argument around negligent operation. (I'm not an attorney, but have stayed at my fair share of Holiday Inn Express hotels over the years. :) )

Besides Version 3 being too restrictive for many areas, dji has a reputation for introducing bugs in firmware updates. I can just see flying outside of an No-Fly Zone, but for some reason, it thinks it entered one and tries to land on water or a highway.

there is always the option of using manual mode to completely ignore the restrictions. (assuming one is an advanced, expert Phantom pilot)

phantomguy said:
there is always the option of using manual mode to completely ignore the restrictions. (assuming one is an advanced, expert Phantom pilot)

I'm a bit confused here... my understanding from the video introducing the Fly Safe feature is that as long as the P2V has a GPS signal it's going to obey the no fly zone restriction - no matter what mode it's in. (In other words, if it gets a GPS signal, it must obey.) I think there was also something said about an absolute altitude restriction programmed in if there was no GPS signal too (in the instance that one disables GPS completely by unplugging it). Please let me know if what I took away from their video was incorrect.

Based on page 38 of the current Vision 2 manual, in NAZA-M Mode, there are NO restrictions whatsoever in Manual mode and only height restrictions in Atti mode.

phantomguy said:
NOT TRUE! Watch the latest dji video about the no-fly zone. It said the No-Fly Zone is for any mode unless you don't have the number of satellites required. But once you are in the air, it will land as soon as it gets the number of satellites!
Watch 0:30 on the video.

http://youtu.be/ebXsTUtUwlA
Edit: add link to video.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor