3/5 Updated Autopilot firmware v3.12 released

Re: STICKY: Phantom Vision v3.0 Update 4/06: No-Fly Zones Ad

MikeySoft said:
phantomguy said:
there is always the option of using manual mode to completely ignore the restrictions. (assuming one is an advanced, expert Phantom pilot)
NOT TRUE! Watch the latest dji video about the no-fly zone. It said the No-Fly Zone is for any mode unless you don't have the number of satellites required. But once you are in the air, it will land as soon as it gets the number of satellites!

This isnt consistent with what page 38 of the manual states as it relates to NAZA-M mode

phantomguy said:
MikeySoft said:
phantomguy said:
there is always the option of using manual mode to completely ignore the restrictions. (assuming one is an advanced, expert Phantom pilot)
NOT TRUE! Watch the latest dji video about the no-fly zone. It said the No-Fly Zone is for any mode unless you don't have the number of satellites required. But once you are in the air, it will land as soon as it gets the number of satellites!

Watch at 0:30:
http://youtu.be/ebXsTUtUwlA

This isnt consistent with what page 38 of the manual states as it relates to NAZA-M mode

Maybe the manual has not been fully updated. The video is new so I expect it is correct. Maybe someone should call dji to verify which is correct.

Not sure, but I think the video is related to stock "Phantom" mode, not the optional "NAZA-M" mode.

MikeySoft said:
Maybe someone should call dji to verify which is correct.

While on the phone with DJI, I'd suggest providing feedback about how uninspiring and juvenile this new feature is. The majority of customers aren't kindergarteners and don't act like such - so there was no reason to add this feature without providing a way of fully turning it off (regardless of flight mode) via the Assistant software.

I will say that this new "feature" has considerably impacted my view of DJI as a company, and the perceived value of their multirotors and controllers. Continued nonsense from them on this scale will cause all future business to go elsewhere.

phantomguy said:
Not sure, but I think the video is related to stock "Phantom" mode, not the optional "NAZA-M" mode.

That would be great if it were the case. Maybe I'll take a drive to within 5 miles of Dulles and try things out in NAZA-M mode later this week. I certainly hope you're correct on this... If not, and if you hear of methods of downgrading the firmware (i.e. a test user and password combo that works to retrieve older firmwares through the Assistant) please let me know - I'd really appreciate it.

phantomguy said:
The video title is "DJI - Phantom Firmware update Safety feature integration". I think it is related to any phantom which gets the latest 3.0 update. DJI has a link to the video on the P2V+, P2V, and the P2 pages but not from the P1 or P1 FC40 pages.

CRankin said:
phantomguy said:

That would be great if it were the case. Maybe I'll take a drive to within 5 miles of Dulles and try things out in NAZA-M mode later this week. I certainly hope you're correct on this... If not, and if you hear of methods of downgrading the firmware (i.e. a test user and password combo that works to retrieve older firmwares through the Assistant) please let me know - I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks. Make sure you watch the video. Just inside 5 miles you should be able to climb to 400 feet. closer then 1.5 miles, you should not be able to take off. It you are able to in ATT then try it in GPS mode to verify if this is only for GPS mode. I think it is in any mode from watching the video, but I hope I'm wrong.

I had a similar hesitant/negative reaction but then figured that I had no intent to violate the national airspace system - so it's not going to restrict me in any way - and could protect me from an ugly mistake. Also DJI's restrictions are only a tiny portion of the areas where you should not operate your Phantom. They only cover a few major airports and there are far more smaller airports (even with jet operations) almost everywhere. Pilots are taught and tested on their familiarity with the system and flight restrictions - in reality all Phantom pilots should get the local charts and find a way to get some knowledge on the subject. I am sure there could be cases where you want to operate in a controlled airspace and manage to get approval and it would be nice if you could temporarily disable a specific restrictions. But I expect that is rare. I do agree that DJI could go to far and significantly lower the value of their products - but this update isn't a problem for almost all of us. Just my opinion.

And now for a less controversial observation.
I updated to today's update and did a few quick flights off my back deck - all went fine but certainly not a real test.
I did notice that the Accelerometer Camera Tilt control latches on and off rather requiring you to hold it down. I had been thinking this would be handy as I tried to hold the button down while reaching underneath an improvised sunshade - so I was glad to see it. I haven't found it in the documentation yet.

Unless DJI makes immediate modifications to their latest software update, I will not download it... not with so many limitations!

cavaleiro01 said:
Unless DJI makes immediate modifications to their latest software update, I will not download it... not with so many limitations!

Ditto on that, and I won't be buying any further DJI products either if that new flight restriction "feature" can't be turned off.

Since mine is already at 3.0, I don't really have a choice but to live with their arbitrary and capricious restrictions which do nothing but significantly reduce the overall value of their product. I wonder if DJI would accept this back for "warranty repair" - with the necessary repair being to return the P2V to its "pre-3.0" state.

CRankin said:
Since mine is already at 3.0, I don't really have a choice but to live with their arbitrary and capricious restrictions which do nothing but significantly reduce the overall value of their product. I wonder if DJI would accept this back for "warranty repair" - with the necessary repair being to return the P2V to its "pre-3.0" state.

Lol that's awesome. You should call DJI and do just that. And your gripe would be broken flight capabilities. If enough people did that it would send a very LOUD message to DJI not to add "features" like this without an off switch.

cavaleiro01 said:
Me too but I would also wait until others updated to the modifications for these restrictions to insure there are no bugs (as dji has been know to introduce) and the modifications of the restrictions is verified.

This is not the first time dji intergrated a "No Fly Zone" into the firmware. This was last year and Colin Guinn is no longer with dji.

However, at that time, it only works in GPS mode. It appears now that the "No FLy Zone" works for all modes, including non GPS modes as can be seen in a dji different video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7h8x28rKMg[/youtube]

phantomguy said:
MikeySoft said:
phantomguy said:

I found it on page 47 of the P2V+ manual. The release notes for firmware version 3.0 states it restricts flights over the airports so I assume it is the same.

You are correct about manual mode.
No Fly Zone is enable in GPS and ATTI mode when the number of satellites is equal or greater then 6.
No Fly Zone is never enabled in manual mode. But manual mode is too difficult for me.

Just wondering about this issue, so what if the phantom upper chassis is covered by a removable thin aluminum foil in order to block the gps signal but you have the stabilization mode enable, I can imaging that all of us can fly under the restricted flying area...what do you think?

Haven't tried the V3 firmware yet but man do I love the new app (1.0.39 Android)! They finally fixed the 3300' problem! Actually it threw me for a loop because I was testing using a pair of 9 dBi directionals having only used one before. So I was expecting better FPV but got worse. Turned out they changed the preview quality from 640x460x15 to 640x480x30. Once I switched it back, FPV was better. Then I switched it down to 320x240x15 and flew facing forward to a mile with decent FPV! On my S3 even at that low res the video looks ok (just). I flew sideways out to 1.3 miles and still had FPV when I lost control. Seeing my distance in the app the whole time was a refreshing change. Thanks DJI!

Updated a few days ago and took the Vision out for a fly. I had 2 'Return To Home' errors, both being about 100 yards away. Both times I noticed a jump in the view on the phone (like a pause then a catchup, if that makes sense?).

I dont know if Ive done something wrong but it wasnt like this before the update. Ive had this Vision 3 months with about 12 flights and not getting anything like others are having on stock with high altitudes and long distances :(

Like I said I dont know if Im doing something wrong but Ive lost of bit of interest in this :cry:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TK-62119