3/5 Updated Autopilot firmware v3.12 released

Re: STICKY: Phantom Vision v2.0 Update 3/26: Servers & Limit

They have put a 5 mile exclusion zone around major airports world wide within which you cannot set waypoints for autonomous flight. I think I agree with this actually. You can still fly normally if it's legal to do so, of course, you just can't merrily set the thing off beyond visual range piloting itself: http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-gs

MikeySoft said:
There is an old YouTube video of a Colin Guinn interview stating that the Chinese government had DJI put a geo fence around an area in China. Colin would not state where this place was but said it could be bypassed by taking it out of GPS mode. I'll post a link to the video here when I find it.

As far as this upgrade, I'm going to wait for reasons given by others.
I found the video.
http://youtu.be/n7h8x28rKMg

Pull_Up said:
They have put a 5 mile exclusion zone around major airports world wide within which you cannot set waypoints for autonomous flight. I think I agree with this actually. You can still fly normally if it's legal to do so, of course, you just can't merrily set the thing off beyond visual range piloting itself: http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-gs
I checked the link. I was thinking of using the waypoints to fly around the Boston Common to take videos. Downtown Boston is a restricted waypoints area. Including Boston Common, Fenway Park, and MIT across the river in Cambridge. Boston Common is basically a park. I would think flying below of the height of nearby buildings but over the trees would be safe for the airport as airplanes never fly that low there. They also usually don't fly over downtown Boston, I think for noise abatement and the height of the buildings.

Not sure if it's already mentioned here, or if I'm missing something, but where did the Gimbal settings go to in the v2.0 version?
It used to be under Advanced > Gimbal...

Noël said:
Not sure if it's already mentioned here, or if I'm missing something, but where did the Gimbal settings go to in the v2.0 version?
It used to be under Advanced > Gimbal...

it's still there - I just set it up a moment ago...

I's definitely missing here.
All I see under Advanced are the tab's: ' F/S, IOC, Battery and Limits

Are you using the 7th channel fix/patch?

Noël said:
I's definitely missing here.
All I see under Advanced are the tab's: ' F/S, IOC, Battery and Limits

Are you using the 7th channel fix/patch?

No patch here - all stock - so I can't verify whether that's the problem. I did see somewhere (another thread perhaps) that someone mentioned that the update does work with the patch - but maybe he did not try to set up the gimbal settings. Only thing I could suggest would be to clean up the installation, install clean version of Assistant 2.0, setup gimbal and then try the patch - the settings should stay untouched.

Same here, since I updated to 2.0 the 'gimbal' option under 'advanced' is missing. As I have the 7th channel patch installed and working I assume that is the problem. Right now it is no big deal as I don't have a gimbal to change the settings on, but I have a RP on order and then I will need to be able to re-adjust the settings. I hope that doesn't mean I have to ditch the 7th ch control when I install the RP.

EDIT - So I deleted & reinstalled the Assistant software and plugged in the phantom, gimbal option was back, installed the patch, closed and reopened the assistant and it was gone again. So you are correct, remove the patch, get your gimbal settings dialed in, then install the patch to get 7th ch control again. Here's to hoping the settings remain fixed.

Did the upgrade today. For me the gimbal option is there. I verified that disabling it makes the camera not move when the P2V tilts. I basically disabled the flight limits - set both to 5000m.

I was slightly excited to see an extra item that wasn't in the release notes was noted in the Assistant app: Optimized compass calibration algorithm to increasing [sic] its resistance to interferences [sic].

I tried calibrating twice and the left drift is no better than before, maybe a bit worse. And this time, after flying for 15 minutes, the left drift was still there. Sometimes recently I did get to straight and true flight after 8-10 minutes or so.

I tested the descent speed and sure enough it is limited to 3m/s. It's smoother that way anyway. The great news is that when doing RTH from high up the descent speed is now 3m/s rather than 1.5m/s with the old firmware. This is great for me if I ever decide to try another altitude attempt. I let one of the RTH tests land itself and it was very smooth - no more bobbing up and down at the last minute (that was always sort of embarrassing when I showed it off to someone). Course lock, home lock, atti mode - all worked as before.

I also noticed that when descending at full speed (which I rarely did before but now seems fine), you can't pitch forward. No problem, just descend at 90% and then you can fly forward fine. I'm pretty sure this is a functionality change, but don't mind it at all.

And I verified that when more than 3300' away, the distance display still says N/A - no surprise: same app after all. Did not test altitude over 400'.

And you still can't change the RTH algorithm. I would like to set the height to something between 20 and 100m.

So for me, without testing the limits which I don't plan to use, it's a couple of upgrades and no real downgrades. All in all I'm happy, especially since this gets us ready for waypoint flying - just waiting on the app upgrade.

Overall, now with 75 flights under my belt, I like the P2V for flying around and casual photography, but have decided not to add a gimbal. The camera is just too crappy. My next quad will have a real camera and gimbal, that's for sure. Maybe it's time to trick out the P2V with antennas and amplifiers and push for 2 or 3 miles.

Re: Upgrade firmware B4 flying your new Vision! Updated 12/1

Pull_Up said:
Got to correct you, it's Topeeka's list! Make sure s/he gets all the credit, please.

Hi Pull_Up

just a question, ¿Do you know what it does the P330CB (it´s is a parameter which can be updated via assistant software 2.0)

I was running the latest updating version on my P2v, during the process I have seen this name and I was curious about that.

thanks for your time.

DJIp2v

I was out flying again today and noticed the descent speed during RTH when above 100m was more like 4.5m/s than the supposed maximum of 3 m/s. Anyone else seen this? I didn't go all that high, but coming down from 400' to 330', it was definitely going 4.5m/s, at least that's what the app said. Then steady on 3 m/s (6.7mph) until nearing the 20m hovering point.

DJIp2v said:
Pull_Up said:
Got to correct you, it's Topeeka's list! Make sure s/he gets all the credit, please.

Hi Pull_Up

just a question, ¿Do you know what it does the P330CB (it´s is a parameter which can be updated via assistant software 2.0)

I was running the latest updating version on my P2v, during the process I have seen this name and I was curious about that.

thanks for your time.

DJIp2v

It's the main circuit board on the aircraft...

Pull_Up said:
DJIp2v said:
Pull_Up said:

Hi Pull_Up

thanks for your time.

DJIp2v

It's the main circuit board on the aircraft...

Thanks....now it is clear to me ....

Have a nice day..

Re: STICKY: Phantom Vision v3.0 Update 4/06: No-Fly Zones Ad

OK, so am I the only one who's not a fan of DJI seeming to enforce geo-fences around airports, apparently without an easy way for users to override? (One of the videos said that as long as the Phantom has a GPS signal, it will enforce no-fly.) It sure would be nice to have someone figure out the list that they've included in the firmware update, then hack it and remove most (if not all) of the airport zones out there. (Am I the only one who's thinking this right now?)

CRankin said:
OK, so am I the only one who's not a fan of DJI seeming to enforce geo-fences around airports, apparently without an easy way for users to override? (One of the videos said that as long as the Phantom has a GPS signal, it will enforce no-fly.) It sure would be nice to have someone figure out the list that they've included in the firmware update, then hack it and remove most (if not all) of the airport zones out there. (Am I the only one who's thinking this right now?)

I'm thinking the same thing. This should be a user selectable option and not a mandatory feature. And if flight safety restriction is mandatory it should be hacked and removed

Folks, i think I need some help...

I did the upgrade flight now, but I cannot go to other pages inside the software.... When I select for example, tools guide, at the bottom appears in red upgrade main Controller to lastest version, but I've already done! It shows 3.0 installed but on the last collumn, is 3.00

The first item after the main Controller and GPS shows like --.--.-- as loader.... Is it okay?

Any idea????

Bug???

Best regards,

Maion

Maion said:
Folks, i think I need some help...

I did the upgrade flight now, but I cannot go to other pages inside the software.... When I select for example, tools guide, at the bottom appears in red upgrade main Controller to lastest version, but I've already done! It shows 3.0 installed but on the last collumn, is 3.00

The first item after the main Controller and GPS shows like --.--.-- as loader.... Is it okay?

Any idea????

Bug???

Best regards,

Maion

Are you using version 3.0 of the Assistant software as well? I ran into this problem earlier today before version 3.0 of the software was downloadable from DJI's web site. After downloading 3.0 and installing it, all was well once again with the world... :)

I e-mailed DJI to ask about the flight safety restriction limits and if it's an option that can be disabled or have the values changed. According to the manual it says "Flight limits function is enabled by default" which implies that it can be disabled. But it's not really clear. Also they're kind of two sets of flight limits if you count the geofense option. I'll post a follow up if and when I hear back from DJI. I also asked them about compass / drifting issues many people have including myself. As well as telemetry data stopping after 1km and if that will be changed to show telemetry past 1km. I see the Android DJI app has been upgraded with newer version. The iOS version has yet to be updated. Probably because of Apple's longer app approval process.

BenDronePilot said:
CRankin said:

I'm thinking the same thing. This should be a user selectable option and not a mandatory feature. And if flight safety restriction is mandatory it should be hacked and removed

Agree and and I am so pleased others think the same as me. In some ways this is just counter productive and is just typical of the nanny state attitude. The limits on my local airport (cat b) do not even cover one end of the runway ! You can just hear some idiot flying on the flight path and saying "well my Vision said it was ok to fly here". On the other hand, the zone around Manchester (cat a) rules out whole swathes of suburban areas.

As in so many things the way forward is education not legislation.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor