Youtube upload quality

For me, the main reason for shooting 2,7K (I own P3A) is the ability to frame/ken burns/zoom in the post w/o losing quality (assuming the final video being 1080p).
Same for 4K+ - when I take TimeLapses with my Sony A6000, I allways do series of photos instead of video - the 6000x4000 frame gives me a lot more space/pixels for playing around in post, and raw format (ok, arw for sony) gives by long shot more info for color etc. corrections w/o running in quantization u.s. problems, associated with the jpeg and compressed video formats (I haven't any cam with raw video possibility)

If you do post-processing, then I totally get it. I do the same with my GoPro timelapses, shooting at 4K and then using pan/zoom to add some motion (final output at 1080p).

Da-mn, You only shoot at 2.7k too?! I switched to shooting 2.7k almost immediately as I thought 2.7k to 1080p looks way better than just shooting at 1080p.

I assume you meant "you only shoot at 1080p, too"... in any case, most of the times that's the resolution I use. Visual quality is still excellent, and since my devices (TV, AppleTV, PC monitor) stop at 1080, videos are played at their native resolution, which makes everything nice and smooth.
As for converting 2.7K down to 1080p... happy to be proven wrong, but from the tests I did, I saw zero benefit, it seems that the P3S camera does a good job with downsampling.

I'm a PC user, formerly editing on Sony Vegas but I switched to Adobe Premiere Pro for the 2.7k support as well as outstanding color correction.

That said, I've been experimenting with DaVinci Resolve 12.5, which is free and also has outstanding color correction tools. It's available for the Mac, but I don't know what the hardware requirements are.

It might be worth looking at. For free you don't have anything to lose.

I assume you meant "you only shoot at 1080p, too"... in any case, most of the times that's the resolution I use. Visual quality is still excellent, and since my devices (TV, AppleTV, PC monitor) stop at 1080, videos are played at their native resolution, which makes everything nice and smooth.
As for converting 2.7K down to 1080p... happy to be proven wrong, but from the tests I did, I saw zero benefit, it seems that the P3S camera does a good job with downsampling.

It's not about downconverting from 2,7 to 1080 (I doubt is there any/enough quality gain to outweigth the mess with far biger filesizes).
It's about the freedom to crop your frames and still get true 1080 in final video (w/o running into "digital zoom" mess).

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: bsartist
It's not about downconverting from 2,7 to 1080 (I doubt is there any/enough quality gain to outweigth the mess with far biger filesizes).
It's about the freedom to crop your frames and still get true 1080 in final video (w/o running into "digital zoom" mess).
... which is exactly what I said... :)

For me personally I always shoot in 2.7k but when it comes to editing and exporting the file, iMovies doesn't support anything above 1080, which is a pain because yes I want the 1440.

If anyone has an insight to a program I can use in my mac which doesn't cost silly money but support more than 1080 please chime in.

Google "Shotcut" It's free and has tons of tutorial videos out there. It handles 2.7 nicely. I am a real Noob with it but with the tutorial videos it's pretty straight forward. I just posted my first video in the Photos and Video area.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka