Youtube upload quality

Reaction score
Why are so many standard owners not uploading at the full 2.7k? I find it baffling, I see countless youtube videos from the standard with only a maximum of 1080p selectable, 1440p looks so much sharper. Are people doing this on purpose to save time processing and uploading? :)

Probably to save time, and maybe space on their SD card. I uploaded a 8 minute video last night. It took over an hour. Also, I once used a video editor I found online. My video was for sure shot in 1440p and it down converted it to 1080p.

Adobe Premiere recommends 1080 for both YouTube and Faceless, as mentioned above, it loads faster and most people wouldn't know the difference. I shoot in 2.7/4K and render it in 1080 for sharing.

Could be ISP upload issues. My ISP has a max upload speed of 5 MB/s which means large videos take an obscene amount of time. If the computer goes to sleep during the upload, the upload fails, so I have to sit there and continually tap the computer or go into power management and set it to remain on all the time, which I usually forget to switch back afterwards.

I can not watch 2.7k on my ipad air from my phantom i switched to 1080 and it will play.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I do a lot of utube uploads. I use "handbrake" it will condense the size. For instance I had a video 999mb after handbrake I uploaded it was 111mb. I love it, had no trouble as of now.

Reactions: TomT
Many of us record in 1080p to get around the DJI missing-frame-glitch which occurs when the camera splits files at about the 14 minute mark for 2.7k and the 9 minute point for 4k. When recording a full battery's worth of video in one long shot, these missing frames always require an explanation (excuse, apology), whether on YouTube or during a private viewing. It's embarrassing at best, impossible at worst. This isn't an issue when recording at 1080p.

Strange how Yuneec can get this right with their CGO2+ and CGO3 cameras but not DJI. This can be fixed with a simple firmware update. Instead they add useless crap features like the following:

...NOW IT ALSO SHOWS IF YOU START UP MOTORS IT WILL TELL YOU IF NO PROPS INSTALLED...

This frame dropping problem has been solved a long time ago by all the video camera manufacturers. It is a Microsoft problem with the FAT disk formatting. The FAT formatted disks will only hold 4gB of data in a single file. The EXFAT format was created to allow larger files. DJI lets us use the bigger format on the bigger microSD cards, but they never updated the firmware to support them. It insists on starting a new file every 4gB, whether it is necessary or not. DJI is pretty hopeless at software, as most of us have discovered.

This frame dropping problem has been solved a long time ago by all the video camera manufacturers. It is a Microsoft problem with the FAT disk formatting. The FAT formatted disks will only hold 4gB of data in a single file. The EXFAT format was created to allow larger files. DJI lets us use the bigger format on the bigger microSD cards, but they never updated the firmware to support them. It insists on starting a new file every 4gB, whether it is necessary or not. DJI is pretty hopeless at software, as most of us have discovered.

Yep. As I pointed out previously, the Yuneec cameras don't have this glitch. They actually split the video files at a paltry 1.2gB but don't drop frames. These 1,2gB files can be stitched together seamlessly in any video editor.

Anywho, I was just stating a reason why I might not be willing to record/upload videos in 2.7k or 4k. I don't record them that way.

Last edited:
For me personally I always shoot in 2.7k but when it comes to editing and exporting the file, iMovies doesn't support anything above 1080, which is a pain because yes I want the 1440.

If anyone has an insight to a program I can use in my mac which doesn't cost silly money but support more than 1080 please chime in.

For me personally I always shoot in 2.7k but when it comes to editing and exporting the file, iMovies doesn't support anything above 1080, which is a pain because yes I want the 1440.

If anyone has an insight to a program I can use in my mac which doesn't cost silly money but support more than 1080 please chime in.

Same here. I love iMovie for its easy of use and stability, but since it doesn't support 2.7k, it's 1080p for me as well. I have found a way to force it to output at 4k even though the footage is just 2.7k, but I'm not sure it's worth it. I add a video from my GoPro (which is 4k) first and then add my Phantom footage (which is 2.7k). iMovie will change the movie's default resolution to the first video you add, thus it stays at 4k even though the drone footage is only 2.7k. However, I'm not sure if iMovie is still downgrading the 2.7k shots to 1080p before upscaling back to 4k. I wish Apple would just update it to support 2.7k natively.

Another reason to shoot in 1080p is so that you can easily transfer the files to your phone. On the iPhone, at least, you can't transfer the 2.7k videos to the phone, so using 1080p instead allows you to do that (in case you want to share or edit in iMovie on the iPhone).

I have just found final cut pro x online for £39.99, this is a crazy price, I emailed the company to check it was genuine no catches full version, and they came back to me and said yes, so maybe I will do that tonight?

Anyone have any feedback on final cut? Easy to use? ive only ever used iMovie?
And im sure it supports 2.7k?

Darren

I have just found final cut pro x online for £39.99, this is a crazy price, I emailed the company to check it was genuine no catches full version, and they came back to me and said yes, so maybe I will do that tonight?

Darren
Final cut x will be easy to use. It's a lot like imovie so you should be fine. And it was originally 'pro' editing software so it supports formats no one has even heard of.

I often shoot 1080 because there's more frame rate choices

Reactions: Dazzauk
I have used Final Cut Pro X for many years, and it works well. Your computer may impose some limits with ANY editor and 4K footage. The DJI codec used with 4K footage places a very heavy demand on the computer's CPU decoding the footage. All Nle's will falter if the computer is not up to the task. Transcoding the footage to some more edit friendly format may be required

I'm always debating between shooting in 1080p vs 2.7K, and I still don't have a definite answer.
Most of my systems are limited to 1080p and I don't do complex video editing (only basic stuff like trimming and transitions), so I see little value in shooting at 2.7K.
I did a couple tests shooting in 2.7K and converting to 1080p, and saw no noticeable difference with video originally shot at 1080p.
So most of the times I shoot in 1080p... but again if someone gives me a good reason for 2.7K, I'd be happy to learn.

Darren
Make sure your video card is supported by FCP X

Not sure in your case. Mine is an early 2008 Mac Pro tower and I know what card is in it and it's not supported. But it's nine years old.

See if system info on your Mac shows you what graphics card you have. Then google to see if it's supported by FCP X

I'm always debating between shooting in 1080p vs 2.7K, and I still don't have a definite answer.
Most of my systems are limited to 1080p and I don't do complex video editing (only basic stuff like trimming and transitions), so I see little value in shooting at 2.7K.
I did a couple tests shooting in 2.7K and converting to 1080p, and saw no noticeable difference with video originally shot at 1080p.
So most of the times I shoot in 1080p... but again if someone gives me a good reason for 2.7K, I'd be happy to learn.

For me, the main reason for shooting 2,7K (I own P3A) is the ability to frame/ken burns/zoom in the post w/o losing quality (assuming the final video being 1080p).
Same for 4K+ - when I take TimeLapses with my Sony A6000, I allways do series of photos instead of video - the 6000x4000 frame gives me a lot more space/pixels for playing around in post, and raw format (ok, arw for sony) gives by long shot more info for color etc. corrections w/o running in quantization u.s. problems, associated with the jpeg and compressed video formats (I haven't any cam with raw video possibility)

Da-mn, You only shoot at 2.7k too?! I switched to shooting 2.7k almost immediately as I thought 2.7k to 1080p looks way better than just shooting at 1080p.

I never knew about this missing frame issue. Probably because i haven't shot contentiously for that long still. Ill do a bit of reading.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31